Search results

1. Phil D

Recently finished books?

🇦🇷 Mariana Enriquez - Las cosas que perdimos en el fuego (Things We Lost in the Fire) (++) Short stories, mostly horror. Horror's not usually my thing but, aside from creating genuinely interesting monstrosities and disturbances, Enriquez (sic, no tilde for some reason) writes stories that are...
  2. Phil D

New & Notable

P.S. For those who don't know what Australian football ('footy' or 'Aussie rules') is, here's a short video that gives a pretty good explanation
  3. Phil D

New & Notable

New Helen Garner book, The Season, a memoir about Australian football, coming August 2024 🥰🏉 http://agenceelianebenisti.com/2024/03/the-season-de-helen-garner/
  4. Phil D

Recently finished books?

Oh really! I couldn't find an English translation. 'Sultry' works much better in the title than 'hot' though. Thanks for letting me know, I'll update the original post.
  5. Phil D

Recently finished books?

I think the book is mostly remembered as the basis of the film, which I haven't seen but which I suspect is better. I came across the book completely by chance and it wasn't bad, but it's the sort of thing I can't imagine recommending or re-reading.
  6. Phil D

Recently finished books?

🇺🇸 Vera Caspary - Laura (+) Satisfying noir-ish detective novel, though a little schematic and quite simple to solve before the end. 🇫🇷 Fred Vargas - L'homme aux cercles bleus (The Chalk Circle Man) (+) Enjoyable introduction to Commissaire Adamsberg and his intuition detection. Excellent...
  7. Phil D

Recently Begun Books

Just over halfway through the Stow and absolutely loving it. It's slow going coz we're reading out loud, but what we've read so far is gorgeous. Looking forward to reading more from him.
  8. Phil D

Recently Begun Books

I've had Love in a Small Town parked for a little while. Interested to hear what you think of this one
  9. Phil D

Gabriel García Márquez: One Hundred Years Of Solitude

So weird reading the English subtitles and how they don't fit with Gregory Rabassa's legendary translation. I get that there are copyright issues and that subtitling has its own parameters in terms of what fits on screen etc, but for me that first sentence in English is just as unchangeable as...
  10. Phil D

On the vast world of children, and its example of lightness and freedom Júlian Fuks

Of course! But very grateful you shared it with us, otherwise I never would have. Muito obrigado!
  11. Phil D

The Book Recommendations Thread

Gabriela Wiener's Undiscovered (longlisted for the Booker International this year) is an interesting contemporary memoir that touches on sexuality, colonialism, racism and migration as well.
  12. Phil D

This would be good. I think A Girl's Memory, about adolescent sexual initiation and consent, is likely to be interesting to a lot of students.
  13. Phil D

The Tall Man by Chloe Hooper is an excellent piece of long-form journalism telling the story of the death of Aboriginal man Cameron Doomadgee while in police custody in 2004. Highly recommended.
  14. Phil D

International Booker Prize

Dunno what neck of the woods you're referring to, but I thought it was really good. I thought she brought together the strands of colonial history, family history, and autobiography really effectively. I find her consistently interesting and insightful as a writer and I plan to keep reading more...
  15. Phil D

John Barth (1930-2024)

For whom is the funhouse fun?
  16. Phil D

WLF Reading List 2024

Keen to hear more about this one. High on my TBR
  17. Phil D

José Agustín (1944-2024)

There's no way I'll be able to concentrate while listening to it after this :ROFLMAO:
  18. Phil D

José Agustín (1944-2024)

I don't think so. I can't see any record of his work being translated at all – into English or any other language :(
  19. Phil D

José Agustín (1944-2024)

Listened to the first chapter of his first novel La tumba as an audiobook this morning. Good fun! Made me want to drink and smoke all day instead of going to work though.