Search results

1. S

2013 women challenge

http://www.peekabook.it/2012/12/2013-women-challenge.html
  2. S

2013 Book to Movie Challenge

http://doingdeweydecimal.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/2013-book-to-movie-website/
  3. S

Mario Vargas Llosa: The Feast of the Goat

The Feast of the Goat, published in 2002, is a story of Dominican dictator Rafael Leónidas Trujillo Molina (The Goat, was just one of his nicknames), who ruled Dominican Republic from 1930 to 1961, when he was assassinated. The story is narrated through three different perspectives: 1. The...
  4. S

Honor? de Balzac: Le P?re Goriot

Honor? de Balzac (1799-1850) was a French novelist, best known for his series of novels called La Com?die humaine. It?s about Jean-Joachim Goriot, a former vermicelli-maker, who gets poor from too much fatherly love towards his spoilt and greedy daughters, Anastasie de Restaud and Delphine de...
  5. S

David Mitchell: Black Swan Green

This is my first encounter with David Mitchell, a British novelist, born in 1969. Black Swan Green, published in 2006, is his 4th novel and so called bildungsroman type. It’s a story about 13-year-old Jason Taylor who lives with his parents and 18-year-old sister Julia, in a place called...
  6. S

Tōson Shimazaki: The Broken Commandment

Tōson Shimazaki (1872-1943) was a pseudonym of Haruki Shimazaki, a Japanese novelist of Meiji Restoration, lasted from the 60s of the 19th century until the WW I. His works depictures the conflict between the old and new values in Japan of the time. The Broken Commandment, published in 1906...
  7. S

Nathaniel Hawthorne: The Scarlet Letter

The Scarlet Letter, the movie from 1995, is one of my favourites, ever. I don’t know how many times I watched it. It’s a beautiful story about "forbidden love" between Hester Prynne, a wife of a doctor and a newcomer, played by Demi Moore (It’s one of her best performances.) and reverent Arthur...
  8. S

W. Somerset Maugham: Cakes and Ale

My first encounter with the writer, William Somerset Maugham was through his book, The Painted Veil, which I desired to read after I had seen the movie with the same title from 2006, with Naomi Watts and Edward Norton in the leading roles. Although the book?s plot was rather different from the...
  9. S

Naoya Shiga: A Dark Night's Passing

Naoya Shiga (1883-1971) was a Japanese writer of the Taishō period. It?s a story about a young, sensitive writer, Kensaku Tokito, who spends majority of his time in tea houses with his friends and geishas, visiting the secluded Shinto temples in mountains and searching for a wife. Kensaku...
  10. S

Shūsaku Endō: Silence

Shūsaku Endō (1923-1996) was a Japanese writer, one of the significant authors after WWII. His novel Silence, written in 1966, is set in 1637 in Japan. The story begins with the news came in the Church, in Rome: Crist?v?o Ferreira, a Portuguese missioner in Japan, renounced Christ, after...
  11. S

Fyodor Dostoyevsky: The House of the Dead

Fyodor Dostoevsky: The House of the Dead The novel The House of the Dead was based on Fyodor Dostoevsky's personal experiences in the prison camp in Siberia. At first, he was sentenced to death (for being a member of the Petrashevsky Circle), however, the verdict was ?mitigated? to four year...
  12. S

Harry Mulisch: The Discovery Of Heaven

For the beginning, few words about the author. Harry Mulisch is a Dutch writer, born in 1927. His most known work is The Discovery of Heaven, written in 1992. The angry God (because of the advancement in technology on the Earth, which was provided by Lucifer from the 16th century on) decides...
  13. S

Albert Sánchez Piñol: Pandora in the Congo

Last month I discovered Cold Skin by Albert S?nchez Pi?ol, which I liked very much. So, when I found, his next novel, Pandora in the Congo, in a library week ago I was, of course, very happy. The story is settled in 1914, in England. The main character is Thomas “Tommy” Thomson, 19-year-old...
  14. S

Edward Morgan Forster: Howards End

The first novel by Edward Morgan Forster I read was A Passage to India, and I liked it very much. So, Howards End seemed to be a logical step forward. This is a story about three families: the Schlegels, half-German siblings Margaret, Helen and Tibby; the snobbish Wilcoxes: married couple...
  15. S

Mario Vargas Llosa: The Way to Paradise

This is my first “encounter” with a Peruvian writer Mario Vargas Llosa. I’ve noticed that he’s a pretty popular novelist, so I’ve decided to see “what all the fuss is about”. The Way to Paradise (I prefer more the original title El Para?so en la otra esquina) is a story of personal search of...
  16. S

Vladimir Nabokov: The Gift

Few years ago I read my first Nabokov's novel: Lolita. I think I even read it twice. I?m not sure. :confused: Nevertheless, I liked it very much. :) Although it's a highly controversial theme, it?s extremely well done. So, The Gift would be my second Nabokov?s novel and first from his ?Russian...
  17. S

Imre Kert?sz: Fatelessness

Fatelessness is the first novel from Imre Kert?sz, a Hungarian Jewish writer and Nobel Prize winner (2002) that I’ve ever read. I was preparing (psychologically, I mean) for days to start reading this novel, since it’s a story about a concentration camp. I was telling myself: “Do you real...
  18. S

Me?a Selimović: Dervi? i smrt (Death and the Dervish)

Meša Selimović (1910-1982) was one of the most distinguished writers from Bosnia and Herzegovina. His most important works are Death and the Dervish and The Fortress. The plot of Death and the Dervish is situated in Ottoman Bosnia. The main character is Ahmed Nuruddin, 40 year-old dervish and...
  19. S

?mile Zola: La B?te humaine

During my freshman year I was kind of ?hooked on? Zola?s novels. I read just about anything I could find. It was long time ago. I think it?s about time to refresh my memory. La B?te humaine is my favorite of Les Rougon-Macquart serie (17th of 20). It?s an engaging, highly intelligent...
  20. S

Robert Musil: The Confusions of Young T?rless

The Confusions of Young T?rless by Robert Musil is a part of my collection called ?the 20th century? which I bought several years ago. I?m determent in a decision not to abandon my own books in favour of borrowed ones. The novel is Musil?s debut (1906) and based on Musil's personal experiences...