Search results

1. DouglasM

Richard Flanagan

According to Wikipedia, The Narrow Road to the Deep North was one of the best literary experiences I had in recent years, but for some reason I ended up reading nothing else by Flanagan. I am, however, particularly excited about The Living Sea of Waking Dreams, his new novel. Reviews have not...
  2. DouglasM

Uruguayan Literature

I realized we don't have a thread on Uruguayan literature, a country that gave the world Juan Carlos Onetti, Mario Benedetti, Eduardo Galeano, Horacio Quiroga, Julio Herrera y Reissig, Juana de Ibarbourou, among others. This year's Nobel speculation made me look for books by Ida Vitale and...
  3. DouglasM

What kind of non-fiction appeals to you?

As someone who, for academic reasons, has read a lot more non-fiction than fiction, I would like to know from you if you are in the habit of reading books other than the literature that we normally discuss here. As a psychologist, obviously a good part of my reading is from the area. As I work...
  4. DouglasM

Prêmio Oceanos

Formerly known as Portugal Telecom Prize, Prêmio Oceanos is the Portuguese language equivalent to the Booker Prize. At first focused only in Brazilian literature, it began accepting works from any lusophone country by 2007. It still had a strong presence of works from Brazilian and Portuguese...
  5. DouglasM

João Guimarães Rosa

I realized there is no thread for Guimarães Rosa, one of the most important authors in Portuguese language during the 20th century. It's understandable. The difficulty of translating a single sentence from Guimarães is extreme. It represents more or less what James Joyce's work means for the...
  6. DouglasM

Toni Morrison (1931-2019)

“We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language. That may be the measure of our lives.” Nobel Laureate Toni Morrison has passed away aged 88. We lost a giant today and 2019 becomes even more difficult to get through.
  7. DouglasM

Political fictions

Based on the brief but heated discussion in the Camões Prize thread I'd like to ask you, fellow readers: 1) Does this kind of fiction appeal to you? 2) What are your favorite books and authors that write fiction that is overtly political? I know every novel is political to some extent, but...
  8. DouglasM

WLF Reading List 2017

I hope señor Del Real doesn't get upset as I open this thread before him. One of the greatest joys of this place is discovering new authors by looking at other people's lists. So here we go: Fiction: 01. Haruki Murakami, Wind/Pinball ***00 02. Marina Tsvetaeva, Selected Poems ****0 03...
  9. DouglasM

Ignacio Padilla: Shadow Without A Name

Here's an excert of NY Times' review of the book, originally published as Amphitryon (also the name of the Brazilian edition, which I read): Also, as I mentioned in another thread, I was amazed by his prose and how it resembles Borges'. One of the most pleasant discoveries I had in 2012. I...
  10. DouglasM

Bei Dao: The August Sleepwalker

I'm halfway through this amazing collection. Is anyone familiar with Bei Dao's poetry? I wasn't expecting to be this amazed. I just finished reading part one (out of three) and can already point out some of my favorite poems ever. Bei Dao has that sensibility that is particular to some artists...
  11. DouglasM

Foreign language tips

Hello guys. Guess this is my first thread, so excuse me any mistakes. It's been a long time since I started reading the discussions here, but one thing always prevents me from posting: grammar. So, long story short, I never had any english lessons, all I know I learned by myself, from books...