Search results

1. I

H.P. Lovecraft

I started reading him as a horror writer -- the horror writer, in fact -- so I was pretty surprised that I wasn't in the least disturbed by his stories. I've been reading him a lot recently, a story a say for the last week almost (makes a total of twenty now), so I have a lot of unorganised...
  2. I

J.D. Salinger: Franny And Zooey

I was just revisiting the forum. And then I started reminiscing about the good times (and the bad ones too). So, why not, I thought, I'd post a review here. My respect for The Catcher in the Rye has reduced a lot after reading Franny and Zooey. It's just so much more amateur. A copy-paste from...
  3. I

The Greatest Moments in literature

Brave New World, Aldous Huxley, The introduction to the Savage: "They could have had twice as much blood from me. The multitudinous seas incarnadine." Because, to the best of our knowledge, Shakespeare's been disallowed. In The Heart of the Country, J. M. Coetzee: "Trapped inside a body...
  4. I

How do you read?

I subvocalise, which means that I read everything out in my head. As a result, I read it out in different voices, whichmeans that each piece I read literally has its unique voice. How do you read, and does it ever seem that your style has peculiarities others' don't? I've never found anyone...
  5. I

Are opinions important, independent of their use for persuasion

Certain events elsewhere in this forum got me thinking. Is the sum total of the worth of an opinion in how much it convinces others? Right now, I'd disagree, because if I hated a book and someone else liked it, why would I want to tell the other guy why his enjoyment is wrong? Isn't that...
  6. I

Is plot on its way back?

Lev Grossman has written an interesting article: Good Novels Don’t Have to Be Hard Work - WSJ.com I disagree (my comment on the blog post which directed me to the article):
  7. I

Lewis Carroll: The Alice Books

?The Hatter?s remark seemed to her to have no sort of meaning in it, and yet it was cerainly English.? Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Throgh the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There I read Alice?s Adventures in Wonderland when I was really small, and forgot everything about it...
  8. I

Recently Begun Books

I thought it might be interesting to have a thread where we talk about the books we've just begun; initial impressions etc. I'll begin: The Road by Cormac McCarthy It seemed written in a laughably singsong voice at first, but got more and more immersing as the pages went on. The conversations...
  9. I

Indian Literature

Our local paper ran a supplement on vernacular ('bhasha' is Urdu/Hindi for language) Indian lit today. I've only read one or two of these right now, but they seem interesting. The Hindu : Literary Review : Age of participation The Hindu : Literary Review : BENGALI: Arunava Sinha The Hindu ...
  10. I

Arthur C. Clarke: 2001: A Space Odyssey

Okay, I have the book and the movie with me. Both seem beautiful from their beginnings. And Clarke says that his book over-explains the movie. Generally, I wouldn't think twice about it: the book first. But, because the movie came out first, and because the book over-explains the movie, I'm not...
  11. I

The Heroic Fantasy Thread

Created by order of Thomas. My favourites are Robert Jordan's Conan series. Everyone's always naked and either fighting or f***ing. Also, there's a character called 'Karela', the Hindi word for bitter-gourd.
  12. I

J. D. Salinger: Nine Stories

I've heard more praise for this book over here than I have of The Catcher in the Rye. I read it, and ended up with a Bill Murray face. “We know the sound of two hands clapping. / But what is the sound of one hand clapping?” – A Zen Koan Life as it ain't Would appreciate thoughts on why it is...
  13. I

Indian Literature

I enjoyed them when young, but not the same tellings, I think.
  14. I

Is technical expertise important?

Basically, I need to know either the keyboard shortcut for logging off Windows (Vista) or how to paste a shortcut to my quick launch to do the same. Others feel free to post your problems here. Worthy digressions will be rewarded with a free copy of the new updated version of the classic...
  15. I

Prashant Bhawalkar: Unruly Times

I don't know whether I'm justified starting this thread, because this is an incredibly obscure book, but I want to so I am. It is a parody of Indian post-colonial literature, chiefly the sort dealing with identity, but it is the sort that is also a quintessential example of the genre. My only...
  16. I

Vikram Chandra: Sacred Games

I've said before that I think Vikram Chandra is the most exciting Indian English writer of the ones I've read. Now, I want to qualify this statement: if he stays from things like Sacred Games. It's very good, but ends up not being Chandra-y enough, too conventional. I'm only starting this...
  17. I

Fakir Mohan Senapati: Six Acres and a Third

Jonathan Swift ? about whom I speak solely from reputation and hearsay ? felt the need to create believable characters and put them in situations strangely reminiscent of reality to perform his satire. Fakir Mohan Senapati, in his Six Acres and a Third (translated by a veritable army consisting...
  18. I

David Markson

Wiki page He's supposed to be very avant-garde. Has anyone read him? What do yuou think of him?
  19. I

My bookstore ran away with my money

I ordered some books last month, and then the bookstore said they didn't have them, so they cancelled the order. They are saying that they've sent the money back, but my bank says they haven't. The bookstore is one of the bigger ones in India, and I can't get in touch with anyone higher up...
  20. I

Romantic Novels

I want to know whether any one knows any good romantic novels. Not the Meg Cabot type, something like the Elmore Leonard of romantic novels. Thanks.