Andrei Volos: Hurramabad

Bjorn

Reader
The 20th century was a century of migration, especially in the clay-footed giant called the Soviet Union. Entire peoples, entire nations were transplanted. The Russians came to Tajikistan, squeezed in between Afghanistan and China, their children made a home there, and when the Soviet Union collapsed their grandchildren were run off.

Hurramabad is a novel dressed up as a short story collection. Tajik/Russian Andrei Volos serves up his former homeland in a series of stand-alone chapters woven together by larger events, a nation described through individuals with whom we check in every 20 years or so, a number of snapshots of a country were everything revolves around the half-mythic capital of Hurramabad. And he does it in a language so alive and hyper-realistic that you can almost hear the horses and diesel engines, smell the tea, mountain winds and gunpowder.

Because there’s always gunpowder. It took the Soviet Union four brutal years of warfare to conquer Tajikistan, and once it fell apart the country descended into years of civil war. At first the stories are disconnected, with almost no indications to tie them to any particular time period (a friend compared it to the Hungarian writer Peter Esterhazy, whom I’ve not read yet); the daily life in Tajikistan wasn’t all that different in 1950 compared to 1850 or 1650, and the most we get might be that something happened ten years after the war. Which war? Well, there’s always one someplace. And when the dictatorship is lifted, everyone scrambles for control, ”we” become ”them” and ”us”, warlords and religious fanatics all try for a piece of the cake.

The former masters don’t do well. Suddenly the few Tajik words they’ve picked up in school can mean the difference between life or death, as the graffiti on the wall starts reading “RUSSIANS DON’T LEAVE WE CAN ALWAYS USE SLAVES”. Sooner or later, the conquerors have to choose between staying and fighting, or running back “home” to a Russia where they’ve never set foot and are just as foreign and unwanted as in the country they grew up in. (One could write a book – hell, a hundred books – on the subject of nationalism in newly independent nations.)

But despite the fact that much of the book is a close-up of both how a country is created and how it falls apart, how violence takes over, how people learn to hate each other for the names they give each other... despite the fact that the one Tajik word everyone seems to know is the curse “Padarlanat” (literally “damn your father”), the individual scenes are often painfully beautiful. Volos has an incredible eye for details, and every person here – the old widow living with a snake in her kitchen, the cocky warlord, the soon-to-be ex-pat who tries everything to get a tombstone for his father just so they won’t just disappear without a trace – is so alive and real that you can’t help but love them, for all their considerable faults.

Remember the ending of Deer Hunter, after the funeral, where they sit down around the table and quietly start singing “God Bless America”, not in praise or blind jingoism but to themselves, to capture something that despite all the loss and betrayal still makes sense? There’s Hurramabad, only half a world away and with street signs in Cyrillic letters.

5/5

Last edited:

Eric

Former Member
This concatenation of stories looks to be right up my street. I shall attempt to get hold of a copy in due course. I happen to know the translator and met him again last year at the London Book Fair.

As someone who has translated books originating in an ex-Soviet country (but an EU Member State, rather than one of the CIS countries), it would be interesting to know how the Tajiks cope with the remaining Russians. One difference between the countries of the CIS and the Baltic countries is Islam. A further difference is that the CIS countries tend to use the former colonial language, Russian, when writing books (e.g. Rytkheu, Aitmatov, Aigi). The Balts, unless they belong to the Russian minority, always use the local language (Estonian, Latvian or Lithuanian).

As a sampler, I see that there is a longish excerpt at:

http://www.russianpress.com/glas/volos.html

Language-wise, it is interesting that the Tajik language is in the same sub-family of the huge Indo-European family (that includes e.g. English, Swedish, Spanish and Russian) as Persian. Whilst many languages in the former Soviet republics in Asia are what is termed Turkic languages, as in Uzbekistan, Kyrgystan, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and parts of Russia proper, as well as Turkey.

obooki

Reader
Oddly enough this is in a local second-hand shop and I've been wondering whether to buy it. Maybe I will - and another book in the same series (some sort of modern Russian writers series). I'm sceptical about modern Russian writers after a few bad experiences (and no good).

I tried an Esterhazy novel and gave up because, as you say, I couldn't connect any one paragraph easily with any other. I don't usually give up so readily; I'm the persevering type. - I only discovered Esterhazy since he wrote a rather nice introduction to a book by another wonderful Hungarian writer Deszo Kostalanyi. That seems a typical way I discover stuff these days - something leads to something else.