Aravind Adiga: The White Tiger

K

kevinparker

The white tiger is really very fantastic realistic novel by arvind. Btw a booke prize winner novel must be so.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
The white tiger is really very fantastic realistic novel by arvind. Btw a booke prize winner novel must be so.
A Booker Prize winning novel must be so? No, it doesn't. At the end of the day it's just a book chosen, usually by compromise, by a small committee who can't agree on what the best of those they've shortlisted is. So they come down to second best. ("All agreed? No. Okay, then what's third best?")

And if you've seen half the stuff that's won the prize recently, you'd know that's not true. Kiran Desai's The Inheritance Of Loss, anyone? Anne Enright's The Gathering?

EDIT: Kevin's had to leave us now. Despite claiming to be from newyork [sic], his IP showed him up as being in India. The links in his signature and the one line posts in no way caused suspicion for a moment. :rolleyes:

Hani

I was supremely confused about the letter bit myself. Being from Pakistan much of it was appreciated as being less exotica and more exposition. However, psychologically the character didn't make enough sense to me. Mistry is awesome though, his portrayal is more subtle and nuanced than any other South Asian writer I've read.

Has anyone read any Pakistani fiction, though? I don't quite trust the Booker guys, especially after Mohsin Hamid.

Hello Hani and welcome.
I find you have a very open and franc way to post,very refreshing!
Haven't you any Pakistani writer to put forward yourself?
I would be most curious.

Amitava kumar , here ( Hindu Literary Review dt 02 Nov 2008) on The White Tiger.

For a novel that is supposed to be a portrait of the ?real? India, The White Tiger comes across as curiously inauthentic. Is it a novel from one more outsider, presenting cynical anthropologies to an audience that is not Indian?

The Hindu : Literary Review : On Adiga?s The White Tiger

Of course it is cynical anthropology of the country, a country that prides on what is not and brags about what is has not in point of fact. It is a hollow country some of the politicians try to ballooning extraneously. Inside it has a people who were enslaved and who do not think about worldliness and immerse in otherworldliness, a country that totally is rooted primitively inclined life styles, and the white tiger has really done justice to resurface the realities of the country that were concealed on purpose

I got Between assassinations.

...between the assassination of Indira Gandhi in 1984 and
the assassination of Ravi Gandhi in 1991 in the small
town of Kittur on the Arabian Sea. We meet a dozen or
more citizens from the lowliest caste to the middle class
to the politicians of Kittur. The stories are affecting
and poignant, often funny as well

So he sort made a trade of it?Assassination i mean.
I hear the usual '"not as good as his first" so it's not very promising,or maybe it is?
Any echos?

M

MGN-Literature-Fan

I just finished reading the book and I was deeply impressed by the descriptions of Indian society. The use of metaphors and symbols, especially the symbol of the Rooster Coop, is convincing.
I would be interested on your opinions on how women are depicted in the novel. Do you agree, that the minor role women play in the novel is a hint on the role women play in Indian society?