Bibliophilia / Books about Books

If there is a thread on this topic as such, I have not found it. Naturally, it is strongly related to the theme of book collecting, and I know that many of you are major collectors (or at least accumulators).

I noticed today Michael Orthofer’s new review of R.B. Russell’s Fifty Forgotten Books, which I would like get ahold of, although I anticipate it may be one of those Britcentric exercises I have sometimes complained of:

https://www.complete-review.com/reviews/reading/russellrb.htm

Portrait of the Writer: Literary Lives in Focus from Thames & Hudson, originally published in Italy, is a delightful thick book of photos and write-ups of some 250 20th Century writers. Very international in focus. I suspect that virtually everyone at WLF would enjoy browsing through this volume. I am certainly happy to own it myself.

5CDB2005-F5B8-4EAC-A6A7-073A5ACDF1D2.jpeg

Sounds like you have ready material to publish your own book about books, "1,000 Books You've Never Read but Should!"

I’m only sure of what I should do, not anyone else. ? Oh sure, I’ll throw in a “recommendation”, general or more targeted, and I’m free enough with my opinions on a host of matters; but none of that is TOO serious. My particular stance does not equip me to speak to a general audience, which is one reason that I gave up writing for mainstream publication many moons ago. I am way out of synch with “the public”.

Stevie B

Current Member
I’m only sure of what I should do, not anyone else. ? Oh sure, I’ll throw in a “recommendation”, general or more targeted, and I’m free enough with my opinions on a host of matters; but none of that is TOO serious. My particular stance does not equip me to speak to a general audience, which is one reason that I gave up writing for mainstream publication many moons ago. I am way out of synch with “the public”.
That's fine, but don't ever say I never gave you an opportunity to earn $28.95 from me. :sneaky:

That's fine, but don't ever say I didn't give you an opportunity to earn $28.95 from me. :sneaky:

Got it. ?

Illustration: After six years on Twitter, I only had 60 followers because there were only 60 accounts I WANTED as followers. Out of hundreds of millions! That is sad. And another 60 I followed myself with no expectation of being followed back.

I bounded out of university 42 years ago thinking that there was a sizable “general educated audience” and that I couldn’t wait to address it. Well, that illusion got dismantled piece by piece.

Leseratte

Got it. ?

Illustration: After six years on Twitter, I only had 60 followers because there were only 60 accounts I WANTED as followers. Out of hundreds of millions! That is sad. And another 60 I followed myself with no expectation of being followed back.

I bounded out of university 42 years ago thinking that there was a sizable “general educated audience” and that I couldn’t wait to address it. Well, that illusion got dismantled piece by piece.
I hope I am not sounding too personal, but I have the feeling you have heaps and heaps of knowledge and opinions stored that are in search of an larger audience. Twitter may be too limited a mean. Have you ever tried a own blog?

I hope I am not sounding too personal, but I have the feeling you have heaps and heaps of knowledge and opinions stored that are in search of an larger audience. Twitter may be too limited a mean. Have you ever tried a own blog?

Yes indeed, I’ve had a few blogs! I’m not much of a self-promoter though; I am ambivalent about self-promotion. Twitter was OK for a while, but the character limit and lack of editability are terrible drawbacks in that platform.

My ambition originally was to be an urbane cultural critic in higher-end publications of general interest; but it wasn’t the Twenties, it wasn’t the Fifties, and my writing wasn’t any good until I got past age 40, anyway. On top of that, I only do decent work when I feel inspired, not “on demand” - but that’s what journalism is all about! So the circumstances never aligned. I came to peace with it.