Doris Lessing (1919-2013)

Stiffelio

Reader
Re: Doris Lessing passes away, Age 94

We were discussing her work just recently here at WLF. A great (if flawed) writer. Some of her books are of essential reading.

Hamlet

Reader

Listening to a review of her work just after her death and made a note to seek some examples of it out.

Aside from the work, a biography sounds as though it would make pretty good reading - interesting lady.

Last edited:

Vazquez

Reader

An amazing writer. Some of the best things I have ever read - Martha's Quest, A Proper Marriage, The Fifth Child. Some weak books, that's a fact - mainly his Canopus in Argos. Whatever. She tried everything she could. A brave, brave soul.

Hamlet

Reader

An amazing writer. Some of the best things I have ever read - Martha's Quest, A Proper Marriage, The Fifth Child. Some weak books, that's a fact - mainly his Canopus in Argos. Whatever. She tried everything she could. A brave, brave soul.

I'm getting the impression that her death may have spsraked some extra interest in her, as though many, like me were very unfamiliar with her work, or intrigued enough to wish to know more. Ah, the vagaries of the writing life.

Jimmy47

I read about it in the newspaper, it was inevitable I guess, 94 years old is a pretty advanced age. She will be missed though !

Jimmy47