Dubravka Ugrešić (1949-2023)

Liam

Administrator
Did they say what she died OF? I mean, 74 is not that old in this day and age, especially in such an affluent country as the Netherlands.

Benny Profane

Did they say what she died OF? I mean, 74 is not that old in this day and age, especially in such an affluent country as the Netherlands.

What a birthday's gift for me!!!! I have no words about this!!

Well, I'd like to do no conjectures and I hope I'm wrong, but if she passed "surrounded by her family and friends", she should be stricken by a terminal or a serious disease then.
I hope she had been assisting by them.
RIP...

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

My God!

My candidate for the Wolfie this year, one my favourite living writers. Her work is a mix of magic-realism and metafiction techniques recalling Modiano, Nabokov, Gogol and Daniill Kharms. She was discussed here in the Nobel thread last year (I remembered Morbid, Verkhovensky and myself's brilliant evaluation and recommendations). I was really hoping she would win the Nobel in few years time. So sad.

For those who haven't read her works, I recommend her masterpiece Museum of Unconditional Surrender, Ministry of Pain or her essay collection Thank You For Reading. Huge loss to literature.

Papageno

This is incredibly sad ! I had hoped that she still had many years ahead of her. I am speechless. A loss of a great writer, a great advocate for peace and anti-nationalism, and a great human being.

Devastating. Life is not fair at all.

To Ben's great recommendations I would add Fording the Stream of Consciousness, a whirlwind literary satire.

Benny Profane

I've found this obituary on Deutsch Welle website.

An interview with her (in English) with Portuguese (out of sync) subtitles. Her voice is so sweet...

Last edited: