Forum Update

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
As you'll see, the forum has been updated. Bear with me as I iron out the creases on the new look as the upgrade was sort of forced upon me this evening and I've now spent a good few hours getting what I can in place. The current look is the default template for the forum software, which will definitely be going and the colour scheme will be changed to something more appropriate. At the moment, as far as I'm concerned, stability trumps aesthetics.

You'll notice some new features on the forum, and there's more potentially waiting in the wings. But for now, as long as the forum is working, and people can talk literature, then I'm happy, and I'll press ahead with fixing out niggles and updating the look.

If you have any problems or notice anything peculiar, please let me know on this thread.

Thanks,
Stewart

waalkwriter

Reader
Everything works get good, it will just take a while to get used to the different look. Its a lot more rounded, and less angular, (which I kind of prefer, but the trend in software tends to be that the more modernized it is the less angular and straightforward it's organization is). I would suggest, personally, going for a darker color scheme when you do adjust away from the default setting. Aside from that nothing's really changed so I'm fine with it. The structure works the same way pretty much, and it mains the previous features and capabilities of the old site.

Amoxcalli

Reader
"Foreign" letters, ie. basically everything with an accent grave, aigu, circumflexe, etc., seem to be turned into question marks by the site. Can this be fixed?

éãô

Wait, hang on. I can see them properly now. All posts prior to the update do suffer from this though. Julío Cortázar becomes Jul?o Cort?zar, for instance.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I'm working on the letters. Unfortunately it's a manual effort to correct as many as I can, and I'll probably limit my efforts to thread titles. It's a database issue, which has been resolved for future posts, but historic ones need some attention.

Daniel del Real

I like it. The strucutre that we like and are familiar with remains the same, so the colour is not that important. I can live with this one, but I think it can be improved. My suggestions is to go back with the ones we had so we can keep the tradition for our good ol' forum.
Thank you Stewart.

waalkwriter

Reader
I definitely appreciate the work you've put in in just the last few days to get this new system working for the time being. What I meant about colors was merely with a totally light scheme there's less contrast. The only thing I do find annoying are the new emoticons. But perhaps I needed something to get me out of the habit of using them in casual discussion.

Stiffelio

Reader
Thank you, Stewart, for the work you are putting into this. Everything seems to be working fine. I like the new format and I don't mind the colours. Perhaps I'd choose more contrasting colours between 'read' and 'unread' items, as the latter don't stand out easily.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I think these 'errors' will only appear briefly if you go to worldliteratureforum.com or worldliteratureforum.com/forum/ and you'll be redirected to worldliteratureforum.com/forum/forum.php

This new update has changed with the structure as it's added a CMS (content management system) and a blog to the forum and so, what was originally the forum's home page is now a home page for the CMS...but we have no content to manage in that respect for now, and so I set it up to redirect to the forum until such a time as I think it worth using.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
A change to the colour scheme is underway. You'll probably notice more and more of the forum moving over to red/white/black and away from the generic blue/grey default template.

Loki

Reader
Now the colour is much better, and it's closer to the previous one.
I've noted that there isn't the "current reading" when you write a post (I'm sorry for the terrible English of the sentence!). It's not an important issue, I just report it.

Daniel del Real

Ok, I know I was the one who said that it'd be good to stick to our old and primary colors of the forum and I stick with that. However there is too much red in the new template and it makes it a bit tiresome for users to read. If it's still possible maybe we can change some red for grey or black tones in order to soften the view. What do you guys think?

It's bloodsoaked. Was there an epic murderous debate while I was out this afternoon, lol.

What happened with the Fry profile pic you had? It fitted you perfectly

waalkwriter

Reader
Well Daniel, I ran into this picture of Alucard Hellsing from the popular anime series and like it so much I grabbed it up. I thought it suited me quite well had and had a cool little edge to it, was more condescending really, so I changed over.

And I'm afraid Lionel I miss the reference. To Greenville at least.