History Books of Our Era

Here are the history books of more recent vintage that I have been engaged with lately. I’ll separate out some sub-types (cultural history, local history) in separate posts, as I already did with disaster books.

Bella Bathurst, The Wreckers (scavengers of the seacoast)

Hilaire Belloc, Marie Antoinette (interesting conservative take, written in the high style; Belloc was an arch-Catholic, with all that implies)

Pierre Berton, My Country: The Remarkable Past (Canada, of course. Berton was a first-rate popular historian)

Pierre Berton, Niagara: A History of the Falls (enlightening, funny, sharp, and at times deeply moving)

Keith Brown, Loyal Unto Death: Trust and Terror in Revolutionary Macedonia

Alan Bullock, Hitler: A Study in Tyranny (as much history as biography)

Bryan Burrough, Public Enemies: America’s Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-34 (ambitious contrapuntal account of the major criminal gangs of the era)

Peter Calvert, Mexico (massive and worthwhile)

J.M.S. Careless, Canada: A Story of Challenge (not the surname I’d want as a historian, but he is good)

Paul Cartledge, The Spartans

Carmel Cassar, A Concise History of Malta (that is one interesting island!)

Edward Chancellor, Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation

Iris Chang, The Rape of Nanking (a modern classic, but so depressing)

Jean-Pierre Chretien, The Great Lakes of Africa (history, natural history, anthropology, archaeology; amazing)

Bruce Cumings, Korea’s Place in the Sun (essential, sometimes contentious)

Eric Jay Dolin, Fur, Fortune, and Empire (wonderful)

Stuart Easterling, The Mexican Revolution: A Short History, 1910-1920

Steven Englund, Napoleon: A Political Life (also as much history as biography)

Craig Fehrman, Author in Chief (on the writings of US Presidents)

John Kenneth Galbraith, The Great Crash: 1929

David Garrioch, The Making of Revolutionary Paris (beautifully written)

Maud Wilder Goodwin, Dutch and English on the Hudson: A Chronicle of Colonial New York (from the 50-volume Chronicles of America series published in the late 1910s, so really more classic)

Andrew Gordon, A Modern History of Japan

Eliga H. Gould, The Persistence of Empire: British Political Culture in the Age of the American Revolution

David Grann, The Lost City of Z (overrated)

Mark Harris, Mark the Glove Boy, or The Last Days of Richard Nixon (an unacknowledged landmark of the New Journalism)

John Hickman, News from the End of the Earth: A Portrait of Chile

Richard Hofstadter, The American Political Tradition and the Men Who Made It (muy brillante)

James W. Hulse, The Silver State: Nevada’s Heritage Reinterpreted (I have a passion for Nevada history, which I’ll explain in another post)

Fred Kaplan, 1959: The Year Everything Changed

Mark Kurlansky, 1968: The Year That Rocked the World (I like the concept of “year histories”)

Douglas Edward Leach, Flintlock and Tomahawk: New England in King Philip’s War

J.J. Lee, Ireland 1912-1985: Politics and Society (huge and hardcore, lots of economics and sociology)

David Lida, First Stop in the New World: Mexico City, the Capital of the 21st Century

Cyril Mango, The Oxford History of Byzantium

Robert E. May, The Southern Dream of a Caribbean Empire (fascinating)

Alan Moorehead, The Fatal Impact (first European incursions into the Pacific; very even-handed)

Cullen Murphy, God’s Jury: The Inquisition and the Making of the Modern World

Andrew C. Nahm, A Panorama of 5,000 Years: Korean History

Craig Nelson, Rocket Men: The Epic Story of the First Men on the Moon

David Ogg, Europe in the Seventeenth Century (fabulously old-school)

Dominic A. Pacyga, Chicago: A Biography

John Prebble, Culloden (intense)

Rodman Wilson Paul, Mining Frontiers of the Far West, 1848-1880 (terrific)

Arthur King Peters, Seven Trails West (crossing the US)

Roger Riendeau, A Brief History of Canada

Larry Rohter, Brazil on the Rise

Richard W. Slatta / Jane Lucas De Grummond, Simon Bolivar’s Quest for Glory (disappointing)

Andrew Smith, Moondust: In Search of the Men Who Fell to Earth

Peter Stark, Astoria: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson’s Lost Pacific Empire (very well-done)

Marion L. Starkey, The Cherokee Nation

Barbara Tuchman, The Zimmerman Telegram (a masterpiece)

Gavin Weightman, The Frozen-Water Trade (lovely “micro-history” of how ice was harvested, transported, and sold)

Robert P. and Wynona H. Wilkins, North Dakota: A Bicentennial History (one of a series covering all the states)

Arthur H. Williamson, Apocalypse Then: Prophecy and the Making of the Modern World (very problematic, even batty)

Douglas Woodruff, The Tichborne Claimant (fascinating Victorian episode. General rule: “claimants” are always imposters)

Harold Zink, City Bosses in the United States

The 50-volume Chronicles of America series, published by Yale University Press in 1918 and beautifully designed, was a project that still has much value today. I have read two volumes so far, Maud Wilder Goodwin’s Dutch and English on the Hudson and Charles M. Andrews’ Colonial Folkways, and both were thoroughly engaging. I think I will read Max Farrand’s The Fathers of the Constitution next, as that is a topic of lifelong interest for me.

I believe that all of these are available at Project Gutenberg, but the little hardcovers are quite irresistible and are obtainable.

A complete list of the volumes here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronicles_of_America

58F50FD5-B14C-4B18-9466-33F0F4A419E9.jpeg3938E176-813A-479E-AEEC-B6F6E6586D40.jpeg

Last edited: