J.M. Coetzee: Boyhood: Scenes from Provincial Life

New on The Mantle, a review of Coetzee's third-person narrative memoir that, oddly, better depicts a strong mother than a boy's life.

The hero of J.M. Coetzee?s childhood memoir is not the boy who grows up to become the 2003 recipient of the Nobel Prize in Literature. Nor is the hero, as some might suspect, a literary one who fostered through verse a young boy?s passion for writing. The hero of Boyhood: Scenes from Provincial Life is his mother, the driving force behind his devotion to academia and the shadow behind the man who is known, according to fellow writer Rian Malan, for his ?monkish self-discipline and dedication.?1 Though the memoir is replete with fascinating tidbits that reveal the seeds of genius which took root early in Coetzee?s childhood, the most poignant moments of the work revolve around the boy?s larger-than-life mother, a woman of many dimensions and layers.

Boyhood?s publication served as a turning point for Coetzee?s writing career. Though he had already received acclaim for previous works, like Dusklands (1974), In the Heart of the Country (1976), and Waiting for the Barbarians (1980), he chose to remain decisively private about his life, even declining to accept either of his two Booker Prizes at the award ceremonies. Unlike the traditional memoir, Boyhood is written entirely in third-person, narrated by a character who may only closely resemble the actual author. In addition, the memoir addresses larger issues, such as sexual awakening and apartheid in South Africa. These themes are largely overshadowed, however, by the mundane. What makes Boyhood such a fascinating work is not the breathtaking landscapes of Cape Town or the interesting characters that pass fleetingly through Coetzee?s life: it is the boy?s relationship with his mother that transforms the chronicle into something much more than an account of one?s childhood. Nearly every chapter of Boyhood conveys the sheer terror of a child who is deathly afraid of losing his mother, who chooses to scorn her while taking advantage of her unconditional love. This love, though heartbreaking and tragic, continues to haunt Coetzee, even on the verge of adolescence.

Continue reading Living in a Mother's Shadow | The Mantle.

F

ferns_dad

I didn't really find it about his mother, but did find it one of the best portraits of a youth I've read.

I felt awfully sorry for his mother, and for him for joining in with his dad against her.

It's been a few months since I read it, but I what I remember the most is him pretending to be Catholic at school and the consequences.

miobrien

Reader
Just finished this, and loved it. I finished Summertime a few months ago, so I figured it was necessary to read his other two memoirs. The style of writing is solid Coetzee: taut, detached, but empowered and thoughtful. I really like how he packs in story, character, and thinking into such minimal prose. The book is only 160-something pages, but it feels longer, deeper, and complex than that. This really proves that a book doesn't have to be long in order to be meaningful. I'm excited for Youth.

Mary LA

Reader
Since Summertime, that adroitly fictionalised 'posthumous' memoir, some of us have been rereading Coetzee's earlier memoirs with a little more irony and caution. Boyhood is also a tribute to the great 19th-century Russian memoirists and novelists (Scenes from Provincial Life as a coda perhaps?) continuing certain themes and linguistic styles taken up in The Master of Petersburg (written after Coetzee's adult son Nicholas died in a fall, possibly suicide, in Johannesburg).

The market town of Worcester at the head of the Breede River, is about an hour and half away from where I live and when Coetzee lived there, it was very raw and new -- he lived in an outlying suburb with veld all around. There are several Dutch Reformed churches (Nederduitse Reformeerde Kerk) in the town and it remains very conservative in terms of the white Afrikaner population. Coetzee grew up bilingual and in his dialogues in Boyhood you can hear echoes of colloquial Afrikaans, both the plat taal of the coloured or mixed race community and the curter speech of the white farming community -- it was interesting for me to hear Disgrace discussed at a conference in the UK and realise readers were unable to 'place Coetzee's characters socially because the descriptions were so nuanced.

A good introduction for those who battle to read Coetzee in the context of other South African writers, both English and Afrikaans, is his 1988 White Writing: On the Culture of Letters in South Africa.

Mary