Julián Fuks: Chronics and etc.

Leseratte

Julián Fuks is maybe my favorite current Brazilian chronicler. As I intend to post one or another of his chronicles I decided to open a thread for them and of course his other work too. If the translation of the texts is not allowed, please inform me.

Leseratte

Opinion

One must go beyond death - about the life and work of a Palestinian artist​

Julian Fuks
Columnist of Ecoa
28/10/2023 04h15

Abdul Rahman Katanani
Abdul Rahman KatananiImage: Disclosure
It is necessary to go beyond death, to go beyond the unspeakable pain. It is necessary not to admit a people only of victims, of bodies silenced under the rubble, of civilians counted in the statistics. One must not make imaginable the decimation that some desire and others execrate. It is necessary to conceive this people in their permanence, their resistance, to understand that for decades they have survived persecution, that they are active and present and will continue to exist against all violence. One must imagine their artists, dreamers and poets, imagine them and then discover them restless and alive.
I met Abdul Rahman Katanani at an artistic residence in Paris. He was a tall, slim man, at that time he had a wide smile and festive eyes. Nothing in his countenance revealed the pain of his origin, his eternal condition as a refugee, son of refugees, grandson of refugees. Nothing in the agility of his body indicated his insurmountable limit: that, being Palestinian, he had never entered Palestinian lands, had never stepped on the ground of his ancestors, never seen family olive trees uprooted decades ago by hostile soldiers.
On a slightly cold afternoon, in a land that did not belong to him or me, I heard the story of his life that receded far beyond him. He learned of his grandfather twice sentenced to death for fighting the invaders of the region, the once friendly subjects who were beginning to destroy Palestinian villages. I learned of the departure of this grandfather already in the first diaspora, in 1948, wanting to believe that he would be away only for a week, as others assured. His grandfather suspected, but had no way of knowing that he and succeeding generations would be banished from their soil for more than 75 years, counting still open.

That man standing before me was already a survivor from before he was born. His father was from Sabra, his mother from Chatila, the two refugee camps in Lebanon surrounded by the Israeli army and devastated by the Maronite militia in the historic massacre of 1982. The parents were married a few days after the carnage, Abdul was born the following year. He lived almost all his life in a single camp in Sabra, inside a makeshift hospital as a Palestinian refuge, with no citizenship, no passport, prevented from leaving anywhere. His sensitive and impressive art, at once blunt and lyrical, was his license to exist beyond those confines.

By Abdul Rahman Katanani
By Abdul Rahman KatananiImage: Disclosure

Pessimism of reason

The man who now speaks to me through a screen that crosses the ocean has sad eyes. I stopped seeing the images of the children dying in Gaza, he says, it was like a morphine that entered my head and did not let me get away from the scenes, and wouldn't let me think of anything else. He feels paralyzed since the war began, separated from himself and his works, and feels like a nightmare that repeats itself again, the bombs that are falling today are the same that have been falling for a long time, in a continuous genocide.
It is the ideas that kill first, he says, the acts come next. And for the past fifty years there has been systematic criminalization and dehumanization of the Palestinian people, a way to convince extremists that those others do not deserve life, they have no right to a country. There was a peace process going on, and then they preferred to take the word peace and stick to the process, who has become the process of ethnic cleansing of Palestinians — I hear the extreme gravity with which Katanani pronounces these words, which in his voice do not sound repeated.
By Abdul Rahman Katanani
By Abdul Rahman KatananiImage: Disclosure

I don't understand what they want, he wonders again and again about the Israeli government, I don't want to understand what they hope to achieve with their violence, with its culture of prisons and endless walls. How do you expect people not to rise up and revolt? They are harassed in their own lands, without the minimum rights. The only resistance they have left is that of Hamas and Hezbollah, but it is an unacceptable, violent resistance like the one that gives rise to it. We are seeing the clash between two extreme right-wingers, and as long as these are the protagonists, there will be no way out.
This violence is not my identity, he leans back a little, his voice becomes softer, this is not Palestinian identity. My conception of identity is linked to the struggle of OLP in the sixties. The Palestinian conflict is a human conflict. We don't want to kill people, we want to live with each other, live in a single country where everyone has the same rights. I have no beliefs, I am not a religious person, I do not believe in any god. But I believe in a land with open and permeable borders, where everyone can go wherever they want.
Where Katanani wants to be, where his parents want to be, where all his people want to be is in the land from which they were banned many decades ago. There is no solution without this return, it is what he sustains, the situation will not heal itself, due to forgetfulness. When you want to cure something, say an olive tree, you have to heal it by the roots. Even forgotten in the corners of the world, we feel more and more attached to the land — of which we have nothing but images and stories. It is through this collective memory that we struggle and continue to exist.

Optimism of the will

In Katanani's works, we see subtle and graceful images constructed from the remains of segregation and violence. The barbed wire that surrounds the refugee camps is turned into the sea, it is turned into the powerful wave an instant before the break. The metallic sidings so characteristic of the occupied cities become children playing, one girl carrying balloons, another jumping rope. There is beauty everywhere, despite the pain that never evades irself.
Against the pessimism that dark reality causes, the art by Abdul Rahman Katanani is auspicious and solar. It works with the matter of borders, with fences and wires and sidings, but so that the borders are broken into something of another order. What interests him is the contradiction of materials, a contradiction so characteristic of humanity: what was rough and hard can become smooth and poetic. The fear that matter exudes takes the form of the dream, the form of the chimera.
By Abdul Rahman Katanani
By Abdul Rahman KatananiImage: Disclosur
To the Palestinians, says Katanani, there is no other way to live than to be fueled by the yearning for a future, although inscrutable. Hope is our daily bread, his father said in his childhood — is what he says now, and in that instant I notice the smile that was left behind, the smile I saw on his face ten years ago on the cold afternoon in Paris.
One of his main works, which has been censored in European galleries, depicts olive trees ripped off by soldiers as a traditional way of expelling families from their land. Knowing the unique resistance of these trees, before leaving the Palestinians nailed the remaining branches to the ground, knowing that this was enough for them to bloom again in the next day. The olive trees of Katanani are not wooden, they are made of barbed wire. But they are alive and they are their way of repeating the gesture of their ancestors, and they await the day when they will flourish again in the land that belongs also to them.
https://www.uol.com.br/ecoa/colunas...e-a-vida-e-a-obra-de-um-artista-palestino.htm (original)

Last edited:

Leseratte

https://www.uol.com.br/ecoa/colunas/julian-fuks/

"I decree the death of the death of the chronicle before they kill the chronicler​

Julian Fuks
Columnist of Ecoa
11/11/2023 04h00

Image: Hector Roqueta Rivero/Getty Images

Reckless craft is this, of living aloud. If the unanimous Rubem Braga already felt this, the imprudence of the minor chronicler who I am, apprentice and clumsy chronicler can only be much greater. The case is that I wrote, some time ago, a small apocalyptic chronicle about the possible end of the chronicle, a timid end amid the noisy news. There all I did was confess the sad fear that the chronicle is abandoning the world, the lurid fear that soon we can not dispose of its sincerity, its humor, its whispers of perplexity.

Then occurred the strange phenomenon to which we never get used, however common it may have become: misunderstanding. It was thought that this scribe had decreed the death of the chronicle, and some despaired, others condoled, others revolted, some threw themselves on the bed and muffled their faces with crisp, disconsolate pillows — all of them indistinguishable amidst the mass of the indifferent, of course. Chroniclers from all over the country were summoned to speak out, harassed by mediators willing to inflate worn-out polemics. Chroniclers from all over the country condemned, devotees of justice, the presumption of the man who wanted to kill, alone, what was always collective and vast.

When I heard about a small brigade of redemptive chroniclers that intended to give proof of life applying such a polemicist a beating, I thought it was time to resume the word: to decree now the death of the death of the chronicle. I promise with the utmost emphasis all that they require me to promulgate: that the chronicle remains firm, sound, robust, vigorous. I know, however, that this is an innocuous gesture, for no chronicler has ever had the authority to decree or promulgate anything, neither death, nor life, nor miraculous resurrection. I say what I say with the proper knowledge of every reasonable chronicler, the awareness that his words lack all power, that they only acquire value in unofficial instances, in the domains of lyricism and wonder.

https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/colu...ga-prazeres-informacoes-e-palpites-do-pvc.htm
At the end of the fateful and fatal chronicle, its most exact meaning was manifested: the permanence of all the abstractions that we have ever taken for dead, such as the sonnet, the painting, the novel, the meaning, the subject, the utopia, the samba. In the case of the chronicle as a genre and as a habit, as an office of dreamers and vagrants, I felt that such permanence created a rare opportunity: against the backdrop of so much fury and so much haste, we could constitute a community of slow and quiet, gentle artisans of the thoughtful word. Now I see that it was wrong, that perhaps we are still a little distant from the utopian world of tender and supportive chroniclers.

But I do not lose hope for the near future, a hope nourished by the tradition of the genre that so many of us still cultivate, stubborn that we are. In a dusty chronicle by Fernando Sabino I discover the strength that the friendship between chroniclers has had, greater, much greater than their vanities. Sabino says that he and Braga used to lend texts to each other when the deadline impended or tiredness loomed, that each one changed the details of some paragraphs used here and there, confident in the originality that time conferred them. So they published, each in their newspaper, "The price of soup", "The soup", "This soup will end", a single chronicle written in co-authorship between two huge writers and squalid time.

I want to draw closer to my colleagues, my peers, I do not want them to take me as a herald of their deaths, as a sinister voice announcing the ignoble end of all of us. I want to one day write to Xico Sa, Antonio Prata, Cidinha da Silva, Flavia Suassuna, Jose Eduardo Agualusa, Milton Hatoum, Joaquim Ferreira dos Santos, Ana Miranda, Ruy Castro, Marcelo Moutinho, Martha Medeiros, Tati Bernardi, Sergio Rodrigues, Ignacio de Loyola Brandao, Gregorio Duvivier, Marcelo Rubens Paiva, Tatiana Salem Levy, Giovana Madalosso, Fabricio Carpinejar, Tiago Germano, Jeferson Tenorio, Natalia Timerman, Zeca Camargo, Fred Melo Paiva, Maria Ribeiro, Kalaf Epalanga. One day I want to write to each one of you and many others and ask them to lend me a chronicle, because I have a cloudy mind and tired fingers and today the words have abandoned me.

Who knows thus our voices will intersect in space, and become entangled, and embarrassed, and make a unique jumble of various timbres and tones. A jumble of simple voices chanting daily words, making small confessions and unusual observations, but so excited that no one will ever be allowed to fear our end, fear the death of chroniclers and chronicle. Who knows that, leaning on each other, it no longer seems so reckless to live aloud."

https://www.uol.com.br/ecoa/colunas...rte-da-cronica-antes-que-matem-o-cronista.htm (original text)