Library Lovers' Day (February 14)

Rodica

I'm amazed at these educate whispering children, who in spite of it seem to disturb the adults.
I thought the same thing, as if their mere presence disturbed them. After I thought about 11 year olds transitioning to adults, I hope it wasn't as scary as I imagined being around those adults.

Stevie B

Current Member
I'm not a huge library person. I want to own the books, and since I live in Iran, libraries mostly have books that are either translated into Persian (which I try to avoid) or are very standard fair that I have already read. My fantasies are mostly about bookstores rather than libraries.

That said, I have used university libraries a lot. They're the only ones that actually have extensive English books, and I especially use them for non-fiction books.
Hamishe, what are your primary sources of English language books when you want to purchase them? Do you more typically buy them in country or order them from outside sources and have them shipped to Iran? If it’s the latter, what restrictions do you face?

Hamishe22

Hamishe, what are your primary sources of English language books when you want to purchase them? Do you more typically buy them in country or order them from outside sources and have them shipped to Iran? If it’s the latter, what restrictions do you face?
I buy them from bookstores or I have to use libgen if someone refuses to import. Due to the state of our currency, I can't afford to buy anything from outside Iran, and it'd technically be a violation of the US sanctions too so I have to use a third party to buy and they'd take a commission on top of things. Otherwise there are no restrictions, I don't think the regime cares much about English books. They do inspect our mail so maybe they won't let in Salman Rushdie books but that's all.