Mia Couto: Under the Frangipani

Heteronym

Reader
A dead man, Ermelindo Mucanga, narrates how he has died while working on the restoration of an old Portuguese slave fort. This doesn?t upset him because he won?t have to witness the degradation of his country after the civil war that followed the independence.

But decades after being dead, his body is unearthed to be given a state funeral: Ermelindo is now considered a national hero. But he doesn?t want to be a hero, and he knows that if his body is moved, he?ll have to exist forever as a ghost. He seeks advice with a pangolin, an animal that in Mozambican lore has supernatural powers, and is advised to enter the body of a detective investigating a murder in the fort and wait for him to die. The detective?s death is foretold and Ermelindo only has to wait six days before his new host dies and he can achieve peace again.

If it looks like I?m giving way too much of the plot, let me tell you this is all covered in the first, short chapter.

So Ermelindo possesses Izidine Na?ta and becomes a spectator inside him of the events that unfold. The old fort has become an asylum for elders and Izidine has to discover who murdered the director. The novel follows six days in which he questions six residents, each one giving a different account of what happened and each one claiming responsibility for the murder.

Through the testimony of each resident, the author brings up the destruction of the old Mozambican traditions, racial hatreds, the civil war, disenchantment with the independence, the plight of the land mines, the weapons trade, corruption within the Mozambican government, and reconnecting with one's roots.

Although I have yet read a Mia Couto novel that bears the qualities of high literature, I do love his talent for wordplay and building lyrical sentences. Part of his style is creating portmanteau words, which perhaps makes translations complicated. But he?s one of the best innovators of the Portuguese language, always reinventing it with new words.

Stiffelio

Reader
Heteronym, do you know if this book has been published in Spanish translation yet? (I'd much rather read a Spanish translation from the original Portuguese than an English one). Thanks.

Heteronym

Reader
According to wiki:

A Varanda do Frangipani (1996). Traducido al catal?n: El balc? del Frangipani. Andorra la Vella, L?mits Editorial, 1997 (traducci?n de Goretti L?pez Heredia).

Don't think twice about reading Mia Couto. He's really worth it.

Stiffelio

Reader
According to wiki:

A Varanda do Frangipani (1996). Traducido al catal?n: El balc? del Frangipani. Andorra la Vella, L?mits Editorial, 1997 (traducci?n de Goretti L?pez Heredia).

Don't think twice about reading Mia Couto. He's really worth it.

I know....I do want to read him. It's just that his books are very difficult to find in Spanish in my country. I now found out that 'Tierra Son?mbula' is published by Alfaguara but I'll need to import it or ask a friend in Spain to buy it for me. If all that fails, I guess I'll have to fall back on an English translation but I want to avoid that if possible (from past experience I know you lose all the musicality of the beautiful Portuguese cadences in English). Reading further about Couto, I learned he admired Jorge Amado. It should be interesting to see how the old Bahian master influenced the young Beiran :)

Daniel del Real

I know....I do want to read him. It's just that his books are very difficult to find in Spanish in my country. I now found out that 'Tierra Son?mbula' is published by Alfaguara but I'll need to import it or ask a friend in Spain to buy it for me. If all that fails, I guess I'll have to fall back on an English translation but I want to avoid that if possible (from past experience I know you lose all the musicality of the beautiful Portuguese cadences in English). Reading further about Couto, I learned he admired Jorge Amado. It should be interesting to see how the old Bahian master influenced the young Beiran :)

Oh the same problem all over again! I guess I need to go to Spain soon and carry only books back. There's a lot I really want to read and no way to get them.
This writer sounds great!

pesahson

Reader
I’ve read this book over the weekend. It’s my first novel by Couto. It didn’t blew me away but I enjoyed it, the topic, the narration style, the stories of people from the asylum, the glympse into Mozambique traditions and customs. But overall I think it lacked tension that would build up to some sort of climax that would make the novel stand out. I’ve read about Couto’s innovative language, him making up his own words (which I’ve noticed in the little bit of Sleepwalking Land that I’ve read). I haven’t noticed any examples of that in Under the Frangipani, it might be the translation.

Heteronym

Reader
I'd say that Mia Couto is a writer where a lot is really lost in translation. It's not just the portmanteau words. In the Portuguese editions, there's always a glossary at the end explaining the African expressions. One of the most interesting things about reading him, and Pepetela and Ondjaki and Luandino Vieira, is exactly this blend of Portuguese and foreign words.