Moderator's approval

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdw

Reader
I'm just tried posting on the Literary Translation thread and have been told my post will not be visible until it has been approved by a moderator. What's that all about, and do we still have moderators here now that Stewart and Björn seem to have gone AWOL?

Harry

Eric

Former Member
We have a stand-in moderator, I believe, whose name begins with M if I am not mistaken............................................ Marchpane, Mingledice, Mutterwhims, Madority, Mixedmanicosis, Moonbottom, Mumblewhack, Moosebowler, Manglesheets, Misstopia, Muckipup, Martyrchocolate, Mincyprance, Mickeytaker, Muchonan, Micturator, Masterbaiter, Miceinpants, Moolywooly...

Shit, I've forgotten his name, but he is charming, lecherous, erudite, and writes lyrical poetry usually involving tortoises and hairs.

Anyway, back to the subject of total insanity, which was of course Harry's reason for starting this illustrious thread in the first place.

Oh yes: I get that message occasionally from approval merchants. I tend to approve all my postings as there's no moderator to do so.

waalkwriter

Reader
I'm just tried posting on the Literary Translation thread and have been told my post will not be visible until it has been approved by a moderator. What's that all about, and do we still have moderators here now that Stewart and Björn seem to have gone AWOL?

Harry

I've had this problem to, in disparate places. I believe it has to do with the file size of the post; too many pictures or links or something that activates. I had several posts held back, and have pm'd bjorn and Stewart to no avail. I recommend pursing down what you intended to write and reposting.

P

Paul Dorell

We have a stand-in moderator, I believe, whose name begins with M if I am not mistaken
Perhaps his true identity is Robespierre. We're the old monarchists huddled together during the Reign of Terror.

Mirabell

Former Member
I've had this problem to, in disparate places. I believe it has to do with the file size of the post; too many pictures or links or something that activates. I had several posts held back, and have pm'd bjorn and Stewart to no avail. I recommend pursing down what you intended to write and reposting.

No, it has to be partly randomized. I had normal, short posts held back.

Eric

Former Member
If I were Robespierre, my terror would consist of:

1) Revealing the real names of miscreants, as news soon spreads. (I post under my real name, why all the secrecy?)
2) Posting up their photos, so we can see who we are dealing with. (This is an unpleasant move, but when one has been called a fascist, racist, anti-semite, and liar, and most posters here think that's jolly alright and Robespierre is kicking up a fuss, then a few heads must roll.)
3) Paying them back in the spirit of "and eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" on their threads. (I think posting a huge photo of a baby in the middle of a discussion is so infradig, but maybe if you are paid by the same coin, you'll sober up, says Robespierre.)

Because leaving the unpoliced forum for a while and hoping that the hue and cry will die down, or that the moderator will side with decent people, is a forlorn hope. I tried it and attacks by strange people have increased.

Until about a month ago, this forum was a place for literary and political discussion. It is now as rudderless as the spaceship Aniara sailing into oblivion, to use a literary analogy (this used indeed to be a literary forum). I hope Stewart wakes up and sells this forum to someone who cares and has the guts to throw out troublemakers. Most of us have put a lot of energy into debate here, but is is all going to waste now, owing to the overweening arrogance and oddness of a very few people.

In lieu of the absent landlord of this thread actually doing something, one has to take the law into one's own hands.

waalkwriter

Reader
No, it has to be partly randomized. I had normal, short posts held back.

Really? It only did it for me with long posts, and it did even when I came back and tried to repost the same stuff. I ended up just having to purse out all the pictures.

waalkwriter

Reader
If I were Robespierre, my terror would consist of:

1) Revealing the real names of miscreants, as news soon spreads. (I post under my real name, why all the secrecy?)
2) Posting up their photos, so we can see who we are dealing with. (This is an unpleasant move, but when one has been called a fascist, racist, anti-semite, and liar, and most posters here think that's jolly alright and Robespierre is kicking up a fuss, then a few heads must roll.)
3) Paying them back in the spirit of "and eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" on their threads. (I think posting a huge photo of a baby in the middle of a discussion is so infradig, but maybe if you are paid by the same coin, you'll sober up, says Robespierre.)

Because leaving the unpoliced forum for a while and hoping that the hue and cry will die down, or that the moderator will side with decent people, is a forlorn hope. I tried it and attacks by strange people have increased.

Until about a month ago, this forum was a place for literary and political discussion. It is now as rudderless as the spaceship Aniara sailing into oblivion, to use a literary analogy (this used indeed to be a literary forum). I hope Stewart wakes up and sells this forum to someone who cares and has the guts to throw out troublemakers. Most of us have put a lot of energy into debate here, but is is all going to waste now, owing to the overweening arrogance and oddness of a very few people.

In lieu of the absent landlord of this thread actually doing something, one has to take the law into one's own hands.

I just wanted to say no one has called you an anti-semite. We have, with good examples, accused you of making racist or at best grossly insensitive statements in debates pertaining to Africa, but no one that I have seen has called you an anti-semite, and in fact, (and he has linked this many times), mirabell specifically said you were not an anti-semite. This claim is at best a fantasy.

One more note on the Turkey thread; that's essentially how many of my discussion classes went. We'd sit around the table, the prof would bring up a point pertaining to our reading, and we'd discuss it often emerging to an entirely new topic or angle that still related to a certain element or idea of the original. It was what kept the class fresh and interesting, and it was one of things that taught me the most. Threads here shouldn't function any differently. And yes, I too want people to stay appropriate, not use bad language pointlessly, and to not sling personal insults.

I think if you'd just admit you are not blameless and then quit going on about these things, everything would settle down and people would be brave enough to start coming back. As it is, if, for every one passing insult or passing thread that goes off-topic for 6-7 posts, you make another complaint thread and send out pm's, and attack other users, etc, you amplify the negative affect of that initial wrong by 6-10 times and therefore end up hurting the very goal you're working for. I find it hard to understand why you continue on this when it was settled some days ago, with both liam and mirabell promising to be less off-topic and less lewd.

Loki

Reader
with both liam and mirabell promising to be less off-topic and less lewd.

It says nothing.

Anyway, I once was told too that my post must be approved by a moderator, but I think it had to do with the fact that I posted some links that were not considered safe (although they were):

hdw

Reader

Harry

Well, my post has now finally appeared on the Daniel Kehlmann thread, moderated or not, so I can't complain.

Harry

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I just went through the list of moderated comments and threads. First step of cleaning this place up.

hdw

Reader
Yes, I just went through the list of moderated comments and threads. First step of cleaning this place up.

Welcome back to the Moderator of the General Assembly of the World Literature Forum! That's an in-joke for all the Scottish Presbyterians here, meaning me, I suppose.

Harry

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Harry. I've my work cut out with you lot. Hopefully I'll turn this ship around.

Status
Not open for further replies.