Nobel Prize in Literature 1972

Ben Jackson

I'm doubting Menzel was seriously considered (perhaps never even nominated), but I do think Bergman and Godard could have landed a shortlist or two, particularly since '95. Godard may have been up against Xingjian or Fo, and I could see Bergman being up against Pinter. Not to downplay the three laureates, but I think Godard and particularly Bergman deserved it more so.

I'm not sure which living screenwriters have a serious shot— David Lynch, Wes Anderson, Woody Allen, Almodovar, Werner Herzog, Miyazaki, Lars von Trier, Tarantino & maaaaaybe Haneke. A decade down the road, maybe a Korean— Park Chan-wook or Bong Joon-Ho. I'm having a hard time picturing any of them actually winner though, especially if they passed on Bergman.

Makes you wish there was a Nobel for cinema.

Yup— albeit, I've been meaning to read more Frisch (I have two of his books in my to-read pile).

I've read quite a bit of Ionesco—
Exit The King
Rhinoceros
The Killer
The Chairs
The Future Is In Eggs (or It Takes All Sorts to Make a World)
The Lesson
&
The Bald Soprano

And I've only read two works by Frisch, but I think both are (truly) perfect—
Man in the Holocene
Homo Faber

Coincidentally, I've never read a play by Frisch. I should probably get on that.

If there's any screenwriter shortlisted, it would be Bergman. His screenplays, collected in one volume I think, and his autobiography, can be found in the Nobel Library. Another screenwriter that might have a shot is Fellini.

Benny Profane

I'm not sure which living screenwriters have a serious shot— David Lynch, Wes Anderson, Woody Allen, Almodovar, Werner Herzog, Miyazaki, Lars von Trier, Tarantino & maaaaaybe Haneke. A decade down the road, maybe a Korean— Park Chan-wook or Bong Joon-Ho. I'm having a hard time picturing any of them actually winner though, especially if they passed on Bergman.

I only see Herzog as a perennial candidate. He writes novels, essays and his films are theatrical, despite his direction in Star Wars ?.
In remote hypothesis, Lynch might be a candidate.

Last edited:

Leseratte

It seems that, from the point of view from the Cinema Industry only the movie, the finished product, becomes eligible for an award. And I tend to agree with them. On reads plays but only very rarely screen plays. Other than the play that is considered a work of literature, the screen play hasn´t an existence in itself, being considered a part of the movie that can be evaluated like in the case of the Oscar, for example.

Benny Profane

When Hadke won in 2019, one of the temporary members of the SA at that moment, Mikaela Blomqvist, cited Wings of Desire as his most relevant work for beginners. So, I think, in many times, the SA check a body of work including screenplay as relevant.

hayden

On the topic of screenplays, Kazuo Ishiguro may very well be nominated for an Oscar this month for Living.

hayden

reads plays but only very rarely screen plays

I disagree.
While it isn't the full screenplay, subtitles are far more commonly read than plays. I think the odds of someone reading a film is higher than dramatic scripts. Just a different format.

Leseratte

I disagree.
While it isn't the full screenplay, subtitles are far more commonly read than plays. I think the odds of someone reading a film is higher than dramatic scripts. Just a different format.
Sure. But are you used to read screenplays in form of a book as you certainly read theater plays, @hayden?

hayden

But are you used to read screenplays in form of a book as you certainly read theater plays,

Well, no—
But that wasn't an initially detailed specific I disagreed with.
I even said 'just a different format'.

A handful of screenplays are published in hardcopy/mass market, etc, but I think it boils down to accessibility. Plays are far more inaccessible than films, and the easiest way to access a play is most likely in paper format (or digital, whatever— written). Films, while much easier to access than plays, are also permanent fixtures— so it makes less sense to put them on ink. (Unless filmed)— plays are fleeting.

?‍♂️

I'm not trying to argue or anything. Just how it is.

If your point is that drama is more likely to be found on bookshelves than screenplays, then of course I agree.

Leseratte

If your point is that drama is more likely to be found on bookshelves than screenplays, then of course I agree.
Yes that is my point. I was a bit taken aback when I saw people defending an LiteraturNoble for film directors and/or screen play writers because they are already awarded. They get the Oscar every year and numerous other great film festival awards. In fact they have more possibilities as the writer of plays who have to compete with prose and poetry.
But I won't argue either, I just wanted to clarify something that seemed strange to me. And I agree with you that films are more accessible. In my country much more people watch films than read books.