Recommended Reading from the Nobel Laureates

TrixRabbi

I have a slow-moving but continuing project to try to read at least one significant work from all of the Nobel winners. With some of the laureates they have one clear work that stands above the rest -- Pearl S. Buck's The Good Earth, for example -- while other more well known names like Hemingway or Beckett or Camus you have the pick of the litter.

However, particularly when it comes to some of the more obscure names (I'm thinking those first 20 years of the prize especially) it can be hard to discern sometimes, even with the internet, what constitutes a "major" work and which ones are worth the time to track down -- I have no clue where to start with Sully Prudhomme or Frans Eemil Sillanpää!

I was thinking, given a lot of people here have probably dug deeper into the list than I have, it could be very helpful to make a collection of Recommended Reading list for all of the laureates, and I'd be happy to update this post with people's recommendations so this thread could serve as a guide for others in the future.

A Work in Progress:

N = Novel
S = Short Story Collection
P = Poetry
H = Non-Fiction/History
Phi = Philosophy

1900s
1901: Sully Prudhomme

1902: Theodor Mommsen
- History of Rome Vol. 1-4 H

1903: Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson

1904: Frédéric Mistral

José Echegaray

1905: Henryk Sienkiewicz
- Quo Vadis N

1906: Giosuè Carducci

1907: Rudyard Kipling
- The Jungle Book S
- The Phantom 'Rickshaw and Other Eerie Tales S
- Barrack-Room Ballads P

1908: Rudolf Christoph Eucken

1909: Selma Lagerlöf

1910s
1910: Paul von Heyse

1911: Maurice Maeterlinck

1912: Gerhart Hauptmann

1913: Rabindranath Tagore

1915: Romain Rolland

1916: Verner von Heidenstam

1917: Karl Adolph Gjellerup

Henrik Pontoppidan

1919: Carl Spitteler

1920s
1920: Knut Hamsun
- Growth of the Soil N
- Hunger N

1921: Anatole France
- The Gods Are Athirst N

1922: Jacinto Benavente

1923: W.B. Yeats

1924: Władysław Reymont
- The Peasants N

1925: George Bernard Shaw

1926: Grazia Deledda

1927: Henri Bergson

1928: Sigrid Undset
- Kristin Lavransdatter N

1929: Thomas Mann
- Buddenbrooks N
- The Magic Mountain N
- Death in Venice N

1930s
1938: Pearl S. Buck
- The Good Earth N

1939: Frans Eemil Sillanpää
- Meek Heritage N
- People in the Summer Night N

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

For poets it should be relatively easy, especially if the old ones as they don't have a lot of their works around anymore. For Prudhomme an anthology should work.
However, the first 20 years are so unappealing I haven't read most of them: come to think I've only read Kipling. I plan to read Hauptmann after I read how good Kjell Espmark talks about him in his book about the Nobel.

Stevie B

Current Member
I have a slow-moving but continuing project to try to read at least one significant work from all of the Nobel winners. With some of the laureates they have one clear work that stands above the rest -- Pearl S. Buck's The Good Earth, for example -- while other more well known names like Hemingway or Beckett or Camus you have the pick of the litter.

However, particularly when it comes to some of the more obscure names (I'm thinking those first 20 years of the prize especially) it can be hard to discern sometimes, even with the internet, what constitutes a "major" work and which ones are worth the time to track down -- I have no clue where to start with Sully Prudhomme or Frans Eemil Sillanpää!

I was thinking, given a lot of people here have probably dug deeper into the list than I have, it could be very helpful to make a collection of Recommended Reading list for all of the laureates, and I'd be happy to update this post with people's recommendations so this thread could serve as a guide for others in the future.

A Work in Progress:

N = Novel
S = Short Story Collection
P = Poetry
H = Non-Fiction/History
Phi = Philosophy

1900s

1910s

1920s

1930s
If I recall correctly, Liam said good things about Sillanpaa's novel Meek Heritage.

Liam

Administrator
A lot of readers end up falling in love with People in the Summer Night! Until recently it was available (in English) online, from some university website. But yes, Meek Heritage was the first one I'd read, and I was struck by its humanity and realism.

Last edited:

hayden

Frans Eemil Sillanpää

Oddly underrated/undertranslated for a Nobel laureate. People In The Summer Night is a beautiful prose novel. (Meek Heritage is, erm... lightweight Hamsun— but still a fairly earthy read). I've never read The Maid Silja, but I would certainly like to one day.

I don't have anything against him, and it's nice to have some unknown gems in the Nobel's catalogue, but why and how he won the Nobel though? Probably a bit of Scandinavian luck. Paul Valéry may have been my personal choice for that year (or, had Olav Dunn not died a few weeks prior...). Huxley would have been an interesting choice too I suppose, but he was a bit young at the time.

And Zola not becoming the first Nobel Laureate in Literature was a mistake :rolleyes: — I've read a fair handful of Prudhomme's poetry... he's okay ?‍♂️— nothing exciting.

Liam

Administrator
Meek Heritage is, erm... lightweight Hamsun
Hmm, I can see your point I guess, but that final scene of the (SPOILER) main character being forced to dig his own grave and being absurdly ashamed of his dirty underwear and the holes in his socks (I mean, he is about to be shot in the head in a few minutes!) was heartbreaking, to me. And the realism of the scene, how, in the face of death, the human consciousness suddenly latches on to the most ridiculous of details ("What will people think of me, I have holes in my socks...") was masterfully portrayed.

Ben Jackson

I don't know this thread existed till now, so here are my remarks. (I did wrote about the Nobel Committee's decisions between 1901--1939, so you can check the reasons for their selections).

As for recommendations:

Sully Prudhomme: read some of his poems, not bad, but not extraordinary. Very difficult to find any of his volumes, but the Committee listed Stanzas and Variations. If you can find it, good luck. For me, just like Hayden said, a terrible mistake. Zola all the way.

Bjorson: read few poems. Not his greatest works, that should be his dramas and novels (unfortunately haven't read them). Based on descriptions from the Committee, his plays are social issued themes with realistic touches like Ibsen (both were shortlisted in 1903). I will read him so I can judge if he's better than Ibsen.

Frederic Mistral: read Mireio and Memoirs on Project Gutenberg few years ago. Again, didn't enjoy the former but the later was good, so I think Memoirs should be the starting point. For me, not a great candidate. Maybe George Meredith could have prevailed.

Henryk Sienkiewicz: read Quo Vadis, one of the best novels from 19th Century IMHO. The greatest achievement in the book is Sienkiewicz's great descriptions of the fire setting ablaze the church, a scandalous act ordered by Nero for the sake of poetic inspiration. Another highlight is when Peter was running away and Jesus appearing to him and telling him to go back to Rome, this was during the persecution of the church. Great novel. The Committee mentioned Jakob the Musician and Trilogy of his historical novels as high points, but I haven't read those yet. He might not be better than Tolstoy (who was dismissed for scandalous work in Kreutzer Sonata), but I think he's one of the best choices the Committee made in that decade.

Carducci: read Barbarian Odes. Issues I have about him is that some of the poems seems to remote and distant (that's his poems are historical, if you're not Italian, you can't understand what the poems are about). But the best of Carducci is in his philosophical poems like Diaptheria, At the Station. He's very innovative especially in his application of colours, that's impressionism. I think based on the shortlist for that year, he's worthy choice. He needs a modern translation.

Kipling: read Kim, Jungle Books, Captain Courageous and few of his poems. Please, people shouldn't bother with his poems, just read Kim, his best novel, and Jungle Books, for children at least. Capt Courageous wasn't that bad.

Eucken: read few essays, not his entire volume yet. He's not a philosopher per we, because he doesn't engage the reader in an intellectual discourse. I would say he's more of religious writer. Not really a bad choice, but I think he was a compromise choice, for the Committee was divided between Swinburne and Lagerolf.

Lagerolf: read Wonderful Adentures of Nils. Great book for children. I haven't read her more famous works: Jerusalem and Gosta Berlings Saga. I feel Lagerolf and Sienkiewicz are the best from this decade.

Maeterlinck: a great dramatist, one of the most under-rated. A symbolist dramatist/poet who predicted Waiting For Godot nearly half a century later in his masterpiece The Blind. His poems, which one can find in Project Gutenberg, is very reminiscent of Baudelaire and Verlaine. Great choice even though a titan like Henry James was shortlisted the same year. Recommend Maeterlinck to lovers of great literature.

Tagore: read few poems (Selected Poems) very romantic in tone, which displays the influences of Keats and Tennyson. Haven't read his novels and short stories yet. One can enjoy the poems, but I didn't.

Romain Rolland: read the first two volumes of Jean Christophe (very beautiful). I did tried to read Tolstoy, his biography, but couldn't finish them. His other books like Soul Enchanted and Beethoven can be found on Project Gutenberg. I haven't read Benito Perez Galdos, who was shortlisted with him so I can't judge.

Knut Hamsun: read Hunger and Pan. Wholly recommend. He's one of the giants.

Bernard Shaw: one of the greatest dramatists out there, very social playwright. Read Arms and the Man, Pygmalion, Man and Superman and Back to Methuselah. One should read the first three before trying the latter. Great choice.

Yeats: one of the finest poets of the last 100 years, a great choice even though he was shortlisted with great Thomas Hardy. Read his Collected Poems or try in individual volumes Michael Robartes, Winding Stair or The Tower.

Henri Bergson: one of my favourite philosophers, I wholly recommend Time and Free Will.

Thomas Mann: I think everyone here has read him. But for those who haven't, try Death in Venice, Magic Mountain, or my favorite Doctor Faustus. One of the best novelist in any language.

Sinclair Lewis: read Babbitt, Elmer Gantry and Dodsworth. Very surprised few people read him these days. Recommend the first two before the last one.

Pirandello: read Six Characters in Search of an Author. Very innovative play. Highly recommend. I will try and look for his other works.

Eugene O'Neill: a master of drama known for his expressionistic approach influenced by Strindberg and realism of Ibsen and Shaw, read Long Day's Journey into Night and Anne Christie. Recommend both works.

Du Gard: read the first two volumes of The Thibaults, recommend it.

Silanpaa: very unfortunate few people hav read him. I read People in the Summer Night and was impressed in it's polyphonic and existential vision. If I can see more of his books, I will definitely read him. Recommend People in the Summer Night.

Ben Jackson

Oddly underrated/undertranslated for a Nobel laureate. People In The Summer Night is a beautiful prose novel. (Meek Heritage is, erm... lightweight Hamsun— but still a fairly earthy read). I've never read The Maid Silja, but I would certainly like to one day.

I don't have anything against him, and it's nice to have some unknown gems in the Nobel's catalogue, but why and how he won the Nobel though? Probably a bit of Scandinavian luck. Paul Valéry may have been my personal choice for that year (or, had Olav Dunn not died a few weeks prior...). Huxley would have been an interesting choice too I suppose, but he was a bit young at the time.

And Zola not becoming the first Nobel Laureate in Literature was a mistake :rolleyes: — I've read a fair handful of Prudhomme's poetry... he's okay ?‍♂️— nothing exciting.

Meek Heritage was written by Silanpaa, not Hamsun.