Samanta Schweblin: Fever Dream

Sisyphus

Reader
Original Title: Distancia de rescate

It's nominated for the Man Booker International Prize 2017 and as far as I can see it's been getting good reviews.

Has anybody read it?

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

That is her first book of short stories from 2002. Haven't read as it hasn't been reprinted yet but I've read two of her more recent collections, Pájaros en la Boca (2009) and Siete Casas Vacías (2015) both very good.
She is a very good short story writer and I'm glad to see young authors who are mastering this field instead of the usual novelists.

Sisyphus

Reader
Wait, I'm sorry, it looks like the actual title of the novel is Distancia de rescate. I apologize.

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

Wait, I'm sorry, it looks like the actual title of the novel is Distancia de rescate. I apologize.

I see. I haven't read it but once she said she started this as a short story but it kept growing and once it was ready her publisher convinced her to extended it a little so it can be sold as a nouvelle. I don't like this creative process influenced by the publisher but that doesn't mean it is a bad product.

Sisyphus

Reader
I just finished this one. A very unique short novel it is. I admit sometimes I had trouble figuring out what was going on but all in all it was an enjoyable read.

Now I really wonder why this one didn't win the Booker?

Bartleby

Oh, I completely missed out on this: apparently there's an adaptation of this novel, with the sreenplay written by the author herself, about to be out on Netflix. Here's the trailer: