Samuel Beckett

Jayaprakash

Reader
Hi,

Since the people on this thread are serious Beckettians, thought I'd share that Happy Days is scheduled to be played by Patty Gallagher (who is legendary for playing this role in the US and many other parts of the world).

Dec 12, 13, 2009, Rangashankara. More details are available at www.ligra.in

Cheers
Vijay

Oh man, thanks for the heads-up. I just may be able to catch this performance!

hdw

Reader
If you're one of Sam's soulmates, see my Barbara Bray post yesterday on the Literary Translation thread.

Harry

Mirabell

Former Member
I'm still recovering from my last bout with Beckett. To review the last Auster novel, I re-read Happy Days, which fucked me up. How many writers are there who can kick you in the head like that? For me there is Celan, Beckett, Uwe Johnson. Anyone else?

Daniel del Real

I'm still recovering from my last bout with Beckett. To review the last Auster novel, I re-read Happy Days, which fucked me up. How many writers are there who can kick you in the head like that? For me there is Celan, Beckett, Uwe Johnson. Anyone else?

Bernhard perhaps

Liam

Administrator
Re-posting this here from another thread:

In 1933, Chatto & Windus agreed to publish Samuel Beckett's More Pricks Than Kicks, a collection of ten interrelated stories--it was to be his first published work of fiction.

At his editor's request, Beckett penned an additional story to serve as the final piece. It was called Echo's Bones, but it caused many problems for Beckett, as he had killed off the protagonist of the stories. But in the end, his editor politely turned it down and it was not included.

As a result, the story Echo's Bones, not to be confused with the poem and collection of poems of the same title, remained unpublished. Now, almost eight decades later, it will finally find its way into print.

This little known text will be introduced by the preeminent Beckett scholar, Dr. Mark Nixon, who will situate the work in terms of its biographical context, its Joycean influences, and as a vital link in the evolution of Beckett's early work. Beckett's confession that he included in the story "all I knew" attests to the importance of Echo's Bones within his oeuvre.

The posthumous publication of Echo's Bones marks the highly-anticipated return of one our literary giants.

Echo's Bones is set to be released in the US in September.​

Ben Jackson

Have read from Beckett
Waiting for Godot
Krapp's Last Tape
Murphy
Poems
Short Prose
Molly
Short Dramatic Pieces (which include Breathe)

One of my all time favourite Nobel Laureate and one of the proponents of Theate of Absurd. With the devaststaion triggered by World War 2, Beckett's vision metamorphosed to that of nihilism, decadence and pessimism, which echoed the influences from Leopardi and Schopenhauer (I think he said he dreamt of this vision one night around 1946). His earlier works like Murphy was more of Joyce, but he felt he needed an artistic departure from his mentor. His works is echoes the music of Pierre Boulez in its atmosphere of doom, pessimism and silence. Favourite works of his I have read is Krapp's Last Tape. Very happy he won. More reflections as I read him.

Biopic of Beckett (apparently it was released in the UK and Ireland last year and will be released in the US (and worldwide I presume) this year).
From the trailer, the film looks a bit dull, overdramatic (I heard that violin in so many trailers... and it's the director of theory of everythig so of course it has that goddammit violin...), simplistic and boring like all biopics. And I'm at odds with littlefinger as Joyce. Beckett is a figure who deserved something similar to that quite creative biopic of Dylan "I'm Not There". But I'm curious and I'll still watch it. maybe I'm wrong.