Saul Bellow

Mirabell

Former Member
We don't have a thread on him??

We have a thread on Seize the Day http://www.worldliteratureforum.com/forum/showthread.php/14321-Saul-Bellow-Seize-the-Day?
and one on Dangling Man, though. http://www.worldliteratureforum.com/forum/showthread.php/10830-Saul-Bellow-Dangling-Man?

aaaaaanyway. This month, the man's letters have been published. Here's a review by the always excellent Ms. Kakutani http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/09/books/09book.html?ref=books

Can't wait to get my hands on that un. (the book).

anchomal

Reader
They are good choices, waalkwriter. I also remember really liking Herzog, and Seize the Day is probably my favourite of the Bellow stuff I've read.

I only read Ravelstein and I was not very impressed. The narrator (who is largely inspired by Below) praises an academic called Ravelstein (that is inspired by Allan Bloom, a friend of Below). Below calls Bloom
a very superior person, great-souled
. I personally had hard time finding the main character likable. He appeared to me more like a pretentious elitist, a money-spending machine with luxurious tastes....

The critics seem to be very positive about the book though. I am not sure if I have to give it another try or just read other Below books...

e joseph

Reader
I've so far read Herzog, Henderson the Rain King and Seize the Day. He's a writer always on my radar as someone I know I need to read more by. Maybe Augie March next? Of what I've read, Herzog is my favorite, and also the first of his works I read - perfect starting point.

Mirabell

Former Member
herzog's IMO also his best novel. Humboldt, apart from the Schwartz-slander, is a fine achievement too. Oh, and read his stories!

e joseph

Reader
Herzog seems very boring, but then again I'm incredibly picky about plots.
Waalk, I'm in no way suggesting you read Herzog. You're one of the folks here I would feel very very incapable of recommending books to.

Mirabell, thanks for more shit to read. Was that sarcasm on my part? I don't know.

waalkwriter

Reader
Waalk, I'm in no way suggesting you read Herzog. You're one of the folks here I would feel very very incapable of recommending books to.

Mirabell, thanks for more shit to read. Was that sarcasm on my part? I don't know.

I'm not sure whether to be offended or flattered. I don't know. I think it's a matter of taste. I'm not all that interested in the personal crisis's of middle aged college professors. That says nothing about whether the work is good, just whether it interests me as a reader. That's why I think it's useless to try and force your way through these piles of literary works, and one should instead find themes that are close to your heart and pursue authors with these themes and styles. I am going to reserve judgment on Bellow until I have read Henderson the Rain King.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Thought I'd revive this thread. Can't let an opportunity to talk about my favorite author pass by! I've read a bunch of his books, mostly pre-Nobel, and the one that has stuck with me the most is The Adventures of Augie March. Any thoughts on that book?

From what I've read, I'd say his books go:

Augie March
Henderson
Herzog
Humbolt
Seize the Day
Dangling Man
The Victim

Seize the Day is probably the best place to start with him, because although it's pretty low on the list, that speaks more about the quality of his other books then StD. Plus, it's short. Really short. Something you should have no trouble reading in one sitting.

Last edited:

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Redheadshadz, agreed on Augie March as Bellow's best book. For me, the order of preference of the Bellows that I've read goes more like:

Augie March
Humboldt
Ravelstein
Seize the Day
Herzog
Henderson.

Ben Jackson

Thought I'd revive this thread. Can't let an opportunity to talk about my favorite author pass by! I've read a bunch of his books, mostly pre-Nobel, and the one that has stuck with me the most is The Adventures of Augie March. Any thoughts on that book?

From what I've read, I'd say his books go:

Augie March
Henderson
Herzog
Humbolt
Seize the Day
Dangling Man
The Victim

Seize the Day is probably the best place to start with him, because although it's pretty low on the list, that speaks more about the quality of his other books then StD. Plus, it's short. Really short. Something you should have no trouble reading in one sitting.

Very interesting fact is that Below won the Nobel exactly two hundred years after America's independence. Writers like Roth and Updike wrote books that are very close to Bellow's, though Updike's different in that Updike's work is preoccupied with sex.

As for me, Herzog's my favourite work, followed by Augie and Seize the Day. Haven't read Humboldt and Henderson yet. A great writer no doubt.