Sensation Fiction

Too much politics today, so let me talk about sensation fiction, which was a “thing” in the mid and late 19th Century.

As the fat boy says in The Pickwick Papers, “I want to make your flesh creep.” That was the impetus of sensation fiction, as of Gothic fiction earlier and horror fiction later.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensation_novel

Wilkie Collins’ The Woman in White is the masterpiece of the form, but as I have often said, Wilkie had it ALL going on; he was extravagantly gifted in every aspect of fiction. Sometimes I just want to give him a standing ovation.

Bram Stoker’s Dracula draws heavily (and profitably) on Collins’ example.

Sheridan Le Fanu was a duck in this pond. I am reading Uncle Silas right now.

A completely bizarre specimen is Richard Marsh’s The Beetle, I don’t know even know where to begin, but my flesh crept and how.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I read a short story by Collins last week. Actually, it was a short story that he’d published before but later extended. It was called The Dream Woman. The introduction to it talked of sensation fiction but didn’t really explain the concept. But this was presumably a lightweight in his canon, and I should probably read some of the more famous Wilkie works at some point.

Last edited: