Teju Cole: Open City

Mary LA

Reader
Waiting impatiently for a copy of Teju Cole's Open City to reach me, but after seeing James Wood's review in the New Yorker, I thought I would start a thread here. I have been reading blog posts and occasional articles (lovely essay Angels in Winter here: http://www.cassandrapages.com/the_cassandra_pages/2009/03/angels-in-winter.html)and short stories by Teju Cole for some years and waiting for him to finish his damn book.

He is for me one of the most fascinating voices of diaspora, many similarities to Sebald as various critics have pointed out.

Teju Cole's own brief profile on his website http://www.tejucole.com/books/:

'I was born to Nigerian parents and grew up in Lagos. My mother taught French. My father was a business executive who exported chocolate. The first book I read (I was six) was an abridgment of Tom Sawyer. At fifteen I published cartoons regularly in Prime People, Nigeria’s version of Vanity Fair. Two years later I moved to the United States.

Since then, I’ve spent most of my time studying art history, except for an unhappy year in medical school. I currently live in Brooklyn.'

Great Tumblir site here: http://op-cit.tumblr.com/

Mirabell

Former Member
Re: Teju Cole

oooh waiting for the paperback (or a review copy, but my emails don't usually get a response...)

sounds v fascinating

miobrien

Reader

Read James Wood's review of this in The New Yorker a few days ago. I have a bunch of back issues sitting around. Anyway, this looks interesting. Sebald and Coetzee - two of my favorites. O'Neill and Smith - they're ok.

Has anyone read it yet?

Gabriel

Reader

I really liked this book (Open City).

I agree with James Wood in that it has a lot of Coetzee (at least the recent Coetzee) and Sebald. On the first pages I got the impression that the narrator was being a tad pretentious, maybe an accusation similar to that which was made to the Bloomsbury group, and I thought that no good story could come from this point of view. But as I kept reading I was hypnotized by the thoughtful and well-crafted prose, by the openness and rhizomatic quality of the story, and the way it challenges the reader's perception of characters and things (they change to an extent, as relevant traits are told later into the story).

Perhaps this book is trying to connect too much threads of world issues, and save for a few bits, I think it does succeed.

It comes across as a New Yorker kind of book, in the good and graceful New Yorker tradition (not a la Michael Thomas's Man Gone Down, but more like Bellow's New York in The Victim). Mr. Cole conveys a wide-eyed and honest view of today's world, with unexpected connections and meetings happening (Brussels, New York, Nigeria, radical Muslims, Mahler, 9-11, suicide, whaling, John Brewster, to name a few), and also some connections that seem necessary notably missing.

I often find myself trying to explain the sense of how people, cultures, sub-cultures can be so open and hermetic at the same time. How people are interpreting the world in funny ways. It is not easy to put in written words, or even to talk about, and it is a fantastic achievement of this book, for which I as reader feel grateful.

Anyone else read Open City? Does anyone know if there are other books to be found by Teju Cole?

PS: Just remembered there was also a small scene that brought to mind the sexual violence, maybe with post-colonial echoes, of Season of Migration to the North. Anyone care to comment?

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
Shouldn't he be categorized as an American novelist, if he's been living in the States since he was 17 years old and his debut novel is primarily about NYC? :confused:

Yikes, pretty harsh takedown by an Amazon reviewer

Worst Novel of 2011, June 22, 2011 By
Someone Like You (New York City) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Open City: A Novel (Hardcover)
This is easily the worst novel I have read all year. How James Wood, in the New Yorker, failed to rip it to shreds I don't know. Here are the rather obvious main problems:

1. It's poorly written.
2. It's got factual errors.
3. It's ungodly boring.
4. The narrator (a shrink who goes to poetry readings) is not believable.
5. It's pedantic.

Point 1. There are sentences in this book that are so bad it will make your head spin. One quick example (there are hundreds, if not more) from page 42: "In a cove formed by two large rocks, I went and sat, as though led by an invisible hand, on a pile of gravel." Teju Cole uses commas the way Tiger Woods used strippers: frequently. Cole also has a tin ear for how people talk. Imagine a surgeon, describing where she lives, saying this: "You must call me if you ever come to Philadelphia. We have a house near the woods, in the suburbs, which is wonderful in the summer, and even better in the fall." Oh, THE WOODS! Oh, you live NEAR THE WOODS! How wonderful! On page 145 he describes a busload of people thusly: "It was warm and damp inside, and everyone found it hard to breathe." Really? How does he know this?

Point 2. It's like the author visited Manhattan on Google Maps instead of actually walking the streets. His description of the Deutsche Bank building on Wall Street (the atrium) is incorrect. It doesn't look that way at all. On page 149 he says, "It was to be a year without a real winter. The blizzards for which I braced never came. There were a few days of cold rain, and one or two cold snaps, but heavy snow stayed away. We had a series of sunny days in December..." That's all well and good, but the first day of winter isn't until December 21st! The 'heavy snow' comes in January and February, a fact the narrator should be aware of considering he has lived in NYC for several years.

Point 3. This book moves about as quickly as a prolonged water-boarding session. There is no suspense or drive to the narrative whatsoever, and the narrator wasn't funny/interesting/smart/insane enough to keep my attention for more than five or ten pages at a stretch. I've read plenty of heavy fiction--DFW, Dostoevski, Gaddis--and rarely has it been such a struggle to move from page to page.

Point 4. The narrator is a shrink doing his residency. He also goes to poetry readings. He also takes month-long vacations by himself, like the one to Brussels featured in the book. He calls in prescriptions while in Brussels. Really? There's some mention of a patient, but it's tangential and never deeply explored. Every shrink I know is neurotic and bizarre--it's like a requirement of the profession. Yet this guy is uber-dull, uber-normal. He has no hang-ups. In fact, there's nothing interesting about him at all except his 'foreign-ness' and the fact he grew up in Nigeria. So what? That experience, while it informs his character to an extent, does not seem to imbue him with any special powers of perception. He observes a lot, but he doesn't really SEE differently than a tourist from Iowa or anyone else for that matter. Take, for instance, his observation that "By fifty...a woman's appearance often requires effort." (p.109). Really? I think most women start to put 'effort' into it a little earlier...say, like, 13. Ah, also...the narrator has an accountant...who works on Wall Street! What accountant works on Wall Street? Obviously there are some, but it's as though Cole, stupidly, conflated personal finance with corporate finance.

Point 5. The book is basically one long, dull lecture with small breaks in between. The author means, of course, to dazzle us with his erudition but he might as well be reading the Encyclopedia to us...there's no value-add from him. It's just words. So, we get lectured on the following:

The paintings of John Brewster
Dutch settler Anthony de Hooges
Sperm whales
(Sperm whales bring to mind another absurdity of the narrator and his narration. While he's supposed to be a shrink, trained in medicine, he apparently has a photographic memory for dates related to all manner of ancient facts. He rattles off specifics as though they were at the very front of his mind, but, clearly, could not possibly be so. Of sperm whales he says, on page 51, "In 1598, the fifty-four-foot sperm whale that beached itself in the sandy shallows of Berckhey, near The Hague, had taken four days to die and, in that time and in the weeks afterward, had intered into the legend of a nation at the very beginning of its modern history." How does he know this? Did he google it? Is it really in his brain? If so, why is it in his brain? And, most importantly, why does he think the reader cares about this?)
Vlaams Belang (a political party)
Robert DeNiro
The photojournalism of Munkacsi
Bedbugs
Killer bees
The practice of pschiatry (this passage, beginning on page 204, is incomprensibly bad. There isn't a shrink in the world who would write this about his own profession.)
The slave trade
ETC
ETC
ETC

There is so much more that's awful...I could simply reprint the whole book with margin notes. He's got a hedge fund titan living up near the Cloisters. Are you kidding me? No hedge fund titan worth his salt lives north of 86th Street. And on and on. The narrator remembers minutia from his childhood, colors, dates, words, it's all just ridiculous.

Burn your money before you buy this book.