Walker Percy

Eric

Former Member
The name popped up in my mind again just now. About 25 years ago, someone recommended him, and I read one novel, The Thanatos Syndrome if I remember rightly. I can't remember if it grabbed me at the time. I do remember thinking that there was something rather strange about the novel. Not surprising, given his family background.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_Percy

Has anyone else here read him?

Bubba

Reader
I've read all of his novels, some of them more than once, and quite a few of his essays. The Thanatos Syndrome, his last novel, is probably his weakest. I liked The Moviegoer, Lancelot, The Second Coming, and parts of Love in the Ruins. He writes very well about suicide (or the temptation thereof). Could probably be called a conservative.

But what stands out most for me is that Percy's is a generous spirit, an example of which is his brief and excellent intro, which can probably be found online, to A Confederacy of Dunces.

Eric

Former Member
I seem to have read his worst novel if Bubba is right, and nothing else. I gathered he was conservative, because the person who introduced me to Percy's work was quite conservative himself back in the 1980s when it was certainly not fashionable to be such. He also introduced me the the work of Ernst Jünger, of whom I have also only read one novel. Most conservative authors keep their mouths shut about their political affiliations, as many potential readers would be put off.

I may have a look at more Percy one day, if I can find the time, but one author I'm thinking of excerpting and introducing to the English-speaking world happens to be nearer Communism than conservatism. So I don't only read conservative authors myself, although I baulk at certain toadying authors.

dc007777

I've read all of his novels, some of them more than once, and quite a few of his essays. The Thanatos Syndrome, his last novel, is probably his weakest. I liked The Moviegoer, Lancelot, The Second Coming, and parts of Love in the Ruins. He writes very well about suicide (or the temptation thereof). Could probably be called a conservative.

But what stands out most for me is that Percy's is a generous spirit, an example of which is his brief and excellent intro, which can probably be found online, to A Confederacy of Dunces.
I love his introduction to ACoD, especially when he writes about his dread at reading the first few pages and thinking, Wow this is good now I have to keep reading until it inevitably gets terrible and then he keeps reading and reading and realizes Toole's mom wasn't a loon and he held a masterpiece.

Stevie B

Current Member
I love his introduction to ACoD, especially when he writes about his dread at reading the first few pages and thinking, Wow this is good now I have to keep reading until it inevitably gets terrible and then he keeps reading and reading and realizes Toole's mom wasn't a loon and he held a masterpiece.
I enjoyed reading that introduction as well. It made me realize how often writers, to their dismay, are asked to read someone else's manuscript. I also wondered why so many publishers got it wrong when it came to A Confederacy of Dunces. I can't recall how many times the novel was rejected, but kudos to O'Toole's mother for not taking "no" for an answer.

By the way, I'm still waiting for a film adaptation. I once heard that Harold Ramis was slated to direct the film with John Belushi playing Ignatius J. Reilly and Richard Pryor playing Burma Jones. Unfortunately, that dream ended when Belushi passed away in 1982.

Benny Profane

Well, there are two books available in Brazil: The Second Coming and Love in the Ruins.

What do you think about these books, guys? Which one is the best to start?

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
Well, there are two books available in Brazil: The Second Coming and Love in the Ruins.

What do you think about these books, guys? Which one is the better to start?
I haven't read either book, so I can't give you advice on that. I'd venture to say that Percy is somewhat of a forgotten (or neglected) writer now in the States, but perhaps that's because I live close to the Canadian border and Percy always had the "Southern writer" label attached to him. I just checked and was surprised to find a number of his books are still in print. This speaks well on Percy's behalf since he passed away over 30 years ago. Coincidentally, I just picked up his first book, The Moviegoer, last weekend. According to the book description, the main character in the novel is obsessed with movies and casual sex. That piqued my interest since I know a lot about movies, but not so much about casual sex. ?

Benny Profane

According to the book description, the main character in the novel is obsessed with movies and casual sex. That piqued my interest since I know a lot about movies, but not so much about casual sex.
What a peculiar plot! LOL!!!

Why is it said that he was a conservative writer then?

Last edited:

dc007777

I also wondered why so many publishers got it wrong when it came to A Confederacy of Dunces. I can't recall how many times the novel was rejected, but kudos to O'Toole's mother for not taking "no" for an answer.
I can understand just because in my experience the novel is very devisive. I love it but I know a lot of people who can't stand it. The common complaint is all the characters are unlikeable.

Stevie B

Current Member
I can understand just because in my experience the novel is very devisive. I love it but I know a lot of people who can't stand it. The common complaint is all the characters are unlikeable.
Maybe I have a more forgiving nature, but despite his outrageous arrogance and pompousness, I found Ignatius Reilly to be a somewhat loveable goofball. On the other hand, I don't find those same qualities appealing at all in Donald Trump. ;)

Last edited:

dc007777

I don't find Ignatius endearing but I do find him fascinating. I've noticed a lot of readers want to be best friends with characters in the books they read so I get why he's a tough sell.

Stevie B

Current Member
For those willing to get inspired to read Percy, I recommed this video review of The Moviegoer, by Better Than Food's Cliff. The book ended up on his top 5 reads of last year.

I watched and enjoyed the first five minutes of the video, but stopped to avoid potential plot spoilers. I'll have to revisit the video after reading The Moviegoer in the near future. By the way, my copy of Crooked Plow is slated to arrive this week. I'll be moving that novel to the front of the queue.