Witchcraft in East Africa

JPS

Reader
For a screenplay I'm currently researching, I'm interested in learning more about both the state of albinos in Tanzania, as well as a good overview of witchcraft beliefs and practices, especially in Sub-Saharan East Africa.

As I'm looking for something less sensational and more profound than a newspaper report, titles of books for research would be most appreciated. Novels that touch upon the subject would also be of interest.

Last edited:

Jan Mbali

Reader
For a screenplay I'm currently researching, I'm interested in learning more about both the state of albinos in Tanzania, as well as a good overview of witchcraft beliefs and practices, especially in Sub-Saharan East Africa.

As I'm looking for something less sensational and more profound than a newspaper report, titles of books for research would be most appreciated. Novels that touch upon the subject would also be of interest.

Only fragments to offer, although I lived in Mozambique and then Tanzania for amost 10 years. Lot of art work around Shatani (is that the word) - twisted figures with goggly eyes. Once read an American novel about them being everywhere, suppose in the horrow genre. Hill near the place I lived in Tanzania said to be the haunt of a large two headed snake, but in general the customs - were benign - rites of passage, etc. The Maji Maji rebellion was so-called because the war-doctors said the bullets of the German invaders of current Tanzania would turn into water (maji). This is classed as millenarin event, like the cargo cults and ghost dance of the Sious, or cattle killing in South Africa. A response to an overwheling cultural and technological onslaught by rapacious invaders. The greatest Xhosa war-doctor in SA history was Makana, one of the frist politcal prisoners on Robben Isalnd - drowned trying to escape - they say his spirit can be heard inthe thunder ...

In parts of South Africa old women (sometimes men) are burnt or otherwise killed after being accused of being witches. Tradition also, has it, however, that kings and chiefs often used accusations to grab prpoerty or deal with political rivals - just as in Europe over a long period. I remember reading he Evans-Pritchard classsic on the Azande (anthropology 101)- which makes the point that any closed belief system cannot be disproved. A believer in witchcraft can know all about the causes of malaria and have a degree in science - but why did his child and not yours get malaria? Now - how is that difference to a belief in any kind of religion?

Just remembered - my class in Mozambique ran screaming out of a classroom when someone had an epileptic fit - thought it was catchhing and a kind of possession,. A colleague teaching scence did have to dispell myths about albinos and used it to teach about genetics - caused hilarity, as a question about dominant genes led to exposing infidelity in a family with albinos. LAstly, a Mozambican teacher at the same school excited us about a herbal cure for asthma. Then he said it had to be dug up at a crossroads at the full moon. End of memories.

Last edited:

Jan Mbali

Reader
Thank you, Jan.

My last words, after a little thought, are:

Do not underestimate the complexity of subject - ethical, moral, historical - above all in order toa void racial stereoptyping. The greatest texts in African literature are about how Africans negotiated modernity while resisting colonialism, which strove to turn them into passive units of labour. Famously by appropriating new cultural religious elements - witchcraft and Chistianity are obvious synergies. Read aboutthe context - God's Bits of Wood - Ousman Sembene (also a brilliant film, directed by the author); Things Fall Apart (Achebe), Song of Lawino (long satirical poem) and The River Between - an early very lyrical novel by Ngugi wa Thiongo. All of the above masterpieces are on the syllabus of African schools wherever English is spoken, including Tanzania and Kenya. Then there is the less lovely use of witchcraft by horrible dictators who used it allong with the insturments of oppression they inherited from colonial states. Proferssor Mbambe talls of the necropolitics in his book The Postcolonial state - Now how is that different from Adolf H. and others in the West, and their mystical cults?

Excuse my spelling of the authors.

JPS

Reader
Not to worry, Jan. My B.A. thesis was on colonialism in W. African literature, in one of the very first African literature programs offered in the US. I'm very aware of the dangers of stereotyping; I've been a writer for thirty years and haven't fallen into that trap yet!

nnyhav

Reader

Sometimes the synchronicity is a tad disturbing, as I've just finished Part I of Amos Oz's A Perfect Peace, wherein the main female character pursues a somewhat similar investigation (though not for screenplay purposes). Don't know whether the texts mentioned there are extant or not, but I'd imagine the former.