Yvette Christianse: Unconfessed

A review of Yvette Christianse's Unconfessed was just published on The Mantle:

Prior to the release of Unconfessed, Yvette Christians? published an anthology of poetry, Castaway (Duke University Press, 1999), which was inspired by a key focus area of her academic research: slave narratives. It was while conducting research in court records that Christians?, a native of South Africa who currently teaches English at Fordham University in New York, found tantalizing snippets of the life of one particular slave who had been imprisoned for child murder. Inspired by this true tale, Christians??s debut novel creates a beautifully moving and emotionally gripping story that explores issues surrounding this horrific act in?surprisingly?a compassionate and humanizing way. In doing so, Unconfessed does more than present ways of thinking through the trials and tribulations of motherhood, death, and family life?it also provides a thought-provoking contemplation on slavery and freedom, agency and society.

Set in 19th century Cape Town, South Africa, Unconfessed is the tale of Sila, an attractive, feisty and headstrong woman who is taken at a young age from Mozbiek (Mozambique) to work as a slave. The novel begins with a third person narration of Sila?s imprisonment in a filthy, dingy jail cell. Her crime: kindermoord, that is, infanticide. What exaggerates this crime in the eyes of the court is her refusal to explain her motivations behind the murder. By the time the novel begins, Sila has already been serving on death row ?for three years... on the path to death,? dulling her anxiety about her impending demise to a state of apathetic numbness. The appointment of a new prison superintendent, however, grants her a pardon from her death sentence. Instead, Sila is ordered to carry out an extended term on Robben Island, seven kilometers off the coast. From this point on, Unconfessed takes the form of a series of first-person monologues addressed eventually to Lys, a friend she makes on the island, as well as Johannes, a friend from her past. Most of these discussions, however, are addressed to the spirit of Baro, her murdered son.

After reading monologue after monologue addressed to Baro, one begins to feel that this habit is a sure sign of Sila?s guilt. Yet, in her re-telling of stories and sharing of memories, Sila shows a clear love and affection for him, thereby complicating and confusing matters for the reader; Sila?s apparent love for the murdered child begs the question, why? If she loved him so, why did she kill Baro? Through Sila?s introspective monologues, we are given teasing glimpses into the motivations behind her terrible deed. Christians??s portrayal of the slave world Sila inhabits, of the woman/mother/slave/person she embodies, is nothing short of lyrical.

Continue reading the review here: I Killed You Because I Loved You | The Mantle

Booklover

Sounds like a truely fascinating book, I have never read any African literature but would like to start, due to the rich culture and history of the continent. I can imagine there is lots to tell about Africa. Perhaps this would be a good place to start, however I am keen to know whether anyone has any other suggestions for classic African literature that I could read to get me started on this theme?

Daniel del Real

I'm no expert on African literature, but from what I've heard and read here in the forum, maybe Chinua Achebe's Things Falling Apart could be a good start. Maybe Soyinka or Tutuola could be a good start too.

Perhaps all points of entry into African literature should start with Things Fall Apart, so I agree with Daniel. Then move to a similar, post-colonial attitude with Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih.

And then... tough call, but South African seems to have a very rich catalogue of new writers emerging, especially on the theme of gritty urban life. Murambi, Book of Bones by Boubacar Boris Diop on the Rwanda genocide is also supposed to be moving.

Let us know if you find any gems!

Daniel del Real

Perhaps all points of entry into African literature should start with Things Fall Apart, so I agree with Daniel. Then move to a similar, post-colonial attitude with Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih.

And then... tough call, but South African seems to have a very rich catalogue of new writers emerging, especially on the theme of gritty urban life. Murambi, Book of Bones by Boubacar Boris Diop on the Rwanda genocide is also supposed to be moving.

Let us know if you find any gems!

I just bought Murambi, Book of Bobes. I expect to read it in the next month, it looks as a very powerful and bleak reading at a time.