Nobel Prize in Literature 2021 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartleby

and then the mountain stood there
then the mountains stood there
and that’s how the mountains stand there
these lines are so Getrude Stein-like I fell in love instantly.

Do you know if his poems are collected in some volume? Wikipedia cites a publication of them in English but I can't find it neither on Amazon nor Book Depository...

redhead

Blahblahblah
Yeah, I think so. It's what got me into his work (and, if it turns out he's not for you, it's also incredibly short).

Uemarasan

Reader
Yeah, I might get around to reading more plays by him... Blood Knot and Sizwe Bansi Is Dead are going in my queue (both Tony nominated, don't know too much about them though). Like most playwrights, I've read less by him than I would like.

The adaptation of Fugard’s Tsotsi made quite a splash back then. I wonder how often he’s been in serious contention.

hayden

The French Lieutenant's Woman & The Go-Between were both adapted from novels.

My bad, my post was badly worded. I meant the screenplays were penned by them (Pinter, etc.), opposed to something like the adaptation of Red Sorghum, which wasn't scripted by Mo Yan himself. Plenty of laureates have had novels adapted to the screen (I'd assume at least a third or so), it was just an additional distinction for the recent handful I mentioned.

I've said it before, but I think Ingmar Bergman would have been an excellent choice for the Nobel. I imagine he grabbed a few nominations over the years. I'm actually surprised a foremost screenwriter hasn't won yet.

ministerpumpkin

I've said it before, but I think Ingmar Bergman would have been an excellent choice for the Nobel. I imagine he grabbed a few nominations over the years. I'm actually surprised a foremost screenwriter hasn't won yet.

I completely agree with you about Bergman. And if I were to compile my dream wishlist of Nobel winners, Jean-Luc Godard would be on it. He turns 91 this year.

Verkhovensky

Woody Allen probably had some nominations too. But that ship has probably sailed. I guess, after Handke who knows.

Liam

Administrator
Just out of curiosity, what do people (who've read him) think of Andreï Makine?

I've been interested in him for years, but never got around to reading any of his books, ?

Just out of curiosity, what do people (who've read him) think of Andreï Makine?

I read only two of his early novels, Au temps du fleuve Amour and Le Testament français (the latter being his breaktrough hit, of course), both in PT translation.

The first one is a fairly straightforward coming-of-age narrative with autobiographical elements. Le Testament français is more ambitious; the writing is denser (aiming at Proustian heights at times), the tone enthusiastically francophile, the story grand, and overall it's very much a success.

He has written a lot of stuff after these two particular novels, is very highly regarded in France, and he's probably one of the current French Nobel hopefuls (if we assume, as I think we should, that Modiano's win killed the chances of Quignard, Echenoz, Michon, etc.).

Regarding speculation:

A lot of people have talked about their own "gut feeling". Personally, I'm not feeling it for Ernaux. She was widely acknowledged as a contender only quite late into her career, and I find it a bit hard to believe that she has leapfrogged so many perennial candidates (even though most of us agree that those candidates would have won the Nobel by now if that was meant to happen). This year may be Ernaux's last chance.

I also feel that Jon Fosse may well be the only Euro white male with any chance of winning the prize over the next 4-5 years.

Still think Mia Couto is a very strong, maybe a leading contender, this year and from now on.

Some of the latest movements in the library are interesting, but I think the SA has done all its reading for the year. Chances are these latest developments are simply due to the library again becoming available for general readers (hence lots of books from popular Knausgard getting checked out, also from Maryse Condé who won the Fake Ass Nobel in 2018...).

Leemo

Regarding speculation:

A lot of people have talked about their own "gut feeling". Personally, I'm not feeling it for Ernaux. She was widely acknowledged as a contender only quite late into her career, and I find it a bit hard to believe that she has leapfrogged so many perennial candidates (even though most of us agree that those candidates would have won the Nobel by now if that was meant to happen). This year may be Ernaux's last chance.

I also feel that Jon Fosse may well be the only Euro white male with any chance of winning the prize over the next 4-5 years.

Still think Mia Couto is a very strong, maybe a leading contender, this year and from now on.

Some of the latest movements in the library are interesting, but I think the SA has done all its reading for the year. Chances are these latest developments are simply due to the library again becoming available for general readers (hence lots of books from popular Knausgard getting checked out, also from Maryse Condé who won the Fake Ass Nobel in 2018...).
My gut feeling is that the SA doesn't at all care about ones race, as white people are already overrepresented as African winners, and yet 2 of the 3 Africans that have seemingly been in contention since the beginning of this year are also white. Surely if they cared about race they would limit themselves predominantly to non-white Africans.

I also find it unlikely that recent movements in library numbers can be ignored as movements caused by the general public, for how would that explain huge jumps for Cixious and Solstad?

redhead

Blahblahblah
Regarding speculation:

Given how gut feelings have gone in the past, that probably means she will win now:p

But I do think she has a solid chance. Her work doesn't personally excite me--her style of spare autofiction leaves me a bit cold, and with some of her books I can't help but feel like Handke did it but better with A Sorrow Beyond Dreams--but at the same time I recognize that she's great at what she does and seems relatively uncontroversial. I can very easily see a consensus forming around her, especially if there are more divisive candidates.

I agree with you on Fosse, I think he’ll win soon. Maybe this year now that all the Septology volumes are out, but if not, definitely in the coming ones. My gut's actually now pointing to him (though that might be the result of wishful thinking). But I don't think he's the only white guy from Europe who has a chance. Knowing the SA, I doubt it.

For Couto, I've only read one novel, so I won't say much, but what do you think about some of the controversies or critiques that came up earlier in this thread?

Edit: Oh no the forum’s acting a little funny, I hope it doesn’t go down again like a few years ago

Last edited:

Bartleby

I also find it unlikely that recent movements in library numbers can be ignored as movements caused by the general public, for how would that explain huge jumps for Cixious and Solstad?
that's something I'd be interested in knowing, what the Swedish people usually read, or, to be more precise, what the common members of the Nobel Library check out the most.
As for Cixous I have a feeling that many academics would want to research her.

For Couto, I've only read one novel, so I won't say much, but what do you think about some of the controversies or critiques that came up earlier in this thread?

I honestly don't think the Academy would mind that; I mean, it'd be a really minor controversy comparing to recent years haha

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

The more I read Maryse Condé I reaffirm to myself she is way better writer than the past 6 or 7 Nobel laureates

Morbid Swither

The more I read Maryse Condé I reaffirm to myself she is way better writer than the past 6 or 7 Nobel laureates
Thank you! I honestly find her work mind blowing! Segu; I, Tituba; and Tree of Life make her a superb candidate. The ridiculousness of the “alternative Nobel” is something that has annoyed me ever since, but perhaps more so because I feel like it might possibly harm the chances for a truly deserving laureate to win.

redhead

Blahblahblah
What would you recommend by her? As someone who wasn’t won over by I, Tituba, I’m curious. Also, it looks like one of her newest books was just long listed for the (American) National Book Award for Translated Literature.

I meant "general readers" as "people who don't belong to the SA". This includes academics doing research for dissertations, literature students, etc.

About Mia Couto's alleged "look - how exotic!" version of Africa, or his white gaze or whatever, can't comment as I haven't read a thing written by the dude.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.