Nobel Prize in Literature 2022 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many here and elsewhere trying to jinx Houellebecq by hyping him up as one of the frontrunners. It's as if they're genuinely afraid that he might win this year (or ever).

Totally irrational fear, as we will soon find out.

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス
Poor Mats Malm! He is not just the stiff old man he appears to be in the SA context. One of his major hobbies is mountain biking! ?⛰️

6vxmkt.jpg

meepmurp

1. I mean, you're still not engaging with my argument in full. Why are you so passionate about Gurnah being called a compromise pick but have no issue with people writing-off authors as political statements or economical gains?
1. Because these seem to be categorically different ideas.

I am actually someone who believes that every prizewinner is a political statement and, in fact, that's part of the fun of the prize for me - trying to parse out what the Academy is saying about the present moment. (For example, I don't think it's exactly a coincidence that Bob Dylan, a Jewish-born pop icon whose work synthesized a diverse number of folk song traditions won a Nobel after the election of a white supremecist pop cultural clown or that Peter Handke won at the height of Cancel Culture or Herta Muller on the twentieth anniversary of the collapse of Ceaucescu's dictatorship.) I also don't understand the logic of economic gains. How did the entire Swedish academy profit from the work of one translator among its membership?? When it comes to discussion of compromise picks, it just always feels - again: to me - that we're suggesting something about the quality of the authors work and, again, this discourse only seem to spring up around certain writers. I have never once seen anyone refer to Orhan Pamuk or Patrick Modiano as a compromise pick - but again: they very well might have been!

2. I'm not sure what you're arguing here. I linked an article to how a compromise candidate was picked in the past, and you're willfully being obtuse and pedantic about semantics, intentionally ignoring what the Academy said itself.
My argument is that the academy does not operate the same way it did 50 years ago. My argument is that "compromise candidates" don't actually appear to exist based on what the Academy TODAY says about its process. It's a majority vote. The process is the process. What you're speculating on is the deliberation process, which apparently happens every year. Again I ask the question: what does it matter to you whether or not discussion bypassed other writers to choose Gurnah?

3. Yes, I meant unimpeachable. That was a mistake. Apologies.
Apology accepted.
4. "I'm trying to parse out this idea that is isn't an "inherently bad" lady..." What lady are you even referring to here?
That was a mistake on my part. Apologies and corrected.

And yes, I expressed my opinion going off of an article I read produced by the Academy. I believe that's how hypotheses are formed, no?
Sure. I'm only testing your hypotheses! That's all!

5. I don't think it's an annual tradition in the speculation thread to have someone feel like he/she is being called a racist. Care to back this up with previous examples? Show some links from 2019 and 2020 and 2021. meepmurp, you're not getting away with this. You heavily implied people were racist for questioning the literary quality of Gurnah and Ishiguro.
After the announcement in fifteen minutes, I will make sure I find the time to scour through the thousands of posts from previous years and send you a direct message full of links to similar moments when this thread erupted into spirals like these...

But, for the record, I didn't "heavily imply" anything about anyone and I'm not even sure what I'm being accused of trying to "get away with." I've laid out my thoughts here in about a half dozen posts. It seems something about them has triggered you and I'm happy to keep this discussion going through direct messaging if you're seeing some sort of resolution. Again: I don't really know you as a person, so there's no real payoff for me in making value judgments there. I'm just a book nerd on a chat board with opinions, just like everyone else here.

6. "actually may be helpful in thinking through one of in the initial observations here about Gurnah not having won many/enough awards prior to his Nobel..." he won zero awards prior to the Nobel lol.
To which I respond... "Yeah, and so what?" He still got the big one.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Someone in the Nobel YouTube chat just predicted Wole Soyinka, a dead writer who's already won
He's still alive.

Marba

Reader
Live broadcast on Swedish TV starts with a recap of the crisis, the recent laureates after the postponed year and talks of how the SA has changed half of its members since the crisis.

Nina Bouraoui, Dubravka Ugresic and Péter Nádas mentioned from the critics in the studio as their favourites.

Some talk about Ukrainian writers who could be awarded in the future.

Ugresic, Cartarescu and Nádas, Lianke and Carson mentioned by a critic who is at the press conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.