Recent content by miercuri

1. miercuri

Romanian Literature

Re: And For Those Looking For Printed Translations Well, I know of him but I've never read anything by him. :( It was really well received at the time of its publishing and I know it got translated to English and (possibly) German as well. I wish I would make a habit out of reading...
  2. miercuri

Russian Literature

I did one semester of pre-19th century Russian literature, I can't say I was exactly impressed. The most famous and relevant work would be The Tale of Igor's Campaign. It's a classic of Old Russian literature, supposedly written in the 12th century. Its authenticity is, however, rather...
  3. miercuri

I need a second opinion

Preferably that of a native speaker of English. I'm translating a text and there's the description of a very select gentlemen's club in one paragraph. I am not really sure if I am fully grasping the meaning of this sentence: Does it say that they are very picky with accepting new members...
  4. miercuri

A Reader's Block

I am going through a rather upsetting reader's block, this post might turn out a bit long and whiney. I'll try not to rant too much, or be too personal. I haven't really felt like reading since early December, around the same time started living alone. I've had other reader blocks before but...
  5. miercuri

The 'Recently Watched Films' Thread

Maybe Stewart will disagree, but I think we need a film topic which is not about our favourite films. For instance, I want to tell you all how incredibly bad the most recent adaptation of Dorian Gray is. Avoid it at all costs. I've just watched it a bit earlier, it was awful. At the beginning I...
  6. miercuri

LGBT Literature

I was really impressed with Josh Kilmer-Purcell's memoir I Am Not Myself These Days. It chronicles the author's first year in NYC, in the mid 90's, working as an advertising art director by day and as drag queen in East Village clubs by night. But that is just the background. In truth, it is a...
  7. miercuri

Mircea Cărtărescu

Mircea Cărtărescu is one of the most widely translated contemporary Romanian authors, although outside Romania he still remains rather obscure. He started off as a rebellious poet in the 80's. He was part of the so-called 'blue jeans generation' of poets. He wrote quirky, playful poetry (some...
  8. miercuri

Authors videos

I laughed all my way through this interview, I just had to post it here. YouTube - Craig Ferguson 10/27/9E Late Late Show Salman Rushdie Craig Ferguson always gets the best out of his guests and his guests get the best out of Craig Ferguson. Feel free to post any sort of video material...
  9. miercuri

Swedish Literature

What about Eggers? He's so po-mo that they've placed him in the hysterical-realist boat. :p
  10. miercuri

Swedish Literature

I really want to order Stieg Larsson, but in paperback and the third one is already out of print on thebookdepository. I could get them in Romanian but they're a tad more expensive and I would prefer a Swedish to English translation since they are so much closer linguistically. Out of Bjorn's...
  11. miercuri

It's Gay to Smoke or the Worst Anti-Smoking Campaign in History

Someone linked me to this on facebook. I was appalled. How do they come up with this stuff?! Am I am the only one thinking these ads are seriously wrong? Take a look -> New Anti-Smoking Ads Warn Teens 'It's Gay To Smoke' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
  12. miercuri

Romanian Literature

Marin Sorescu was one of the few authors from the school curriculum that I actually enjoyed. I am more familiar with his plays rather than his poetry though. I would recommend looking up his plays if they are available in translation. :)
  13. miercuri

Romanian Literature

I'm sorry to tell you but I highly doubt this book was ever translated into English. If I am not being too inquisitive, what do you need this book for anyway? I was simply intrigued to read that you were looking for this particular novel. :)
  14. miercuri

Argentine Literature

I was surprised to find out that this author is mostly overlooked in the English-speaking world. In Romania he is something of a household name. He's been widely translated and retranslated in the last few decades. On Heroes and Tombs even has some sort of cult following among undergraduates.
  15. miercuri

Chinese Literature

But as far as I knew, he wrote in French.