Mircea Cărtărescu

miercuri

Reader
Mircea Cărtărescu is one of the most widely translated contemporary Romanian authors, although outside Romania he still remains rather obscure.
He started off as a rebellious poet in the 80's. He was part of the so-called 'blue jeans generation' of poets. He wrote quirky, playful poetry (some would call it naive) but he soon grew out of it.
He made his debut as prose writer with Visul (The Dream), in 1989. The revised edition of this book was published some years later under the title of Nostalgia, with a few other alterations made to it.
Nostalgia
was the first book I read by him, I would recommend it to anyone who would like to get acquainted with him. It consists of three novellas, all loosely connected, plus a prologue and an epilogue. The style is dense, oneiric. He outlines the distinctive universe which he later explored much further in Orbitor.
Nostalgia reads effortlessly (in my case at least). Orbitor is, however, his most ambitious work, a trilogy spanning over 1000 pages, which took him more than a decade to complete. I have yet to read the final volume, but for that I feel that must reread the first two. I will let you know when this happens.
I would add that Cărtărescu is the kind of author that obsesses over certain themes, there are many leitmotifs and they recur in all his books. There are kaleidoscopic descriptions, cryptic characters, there is magical realism and all dialogue is reported. Overall, he has a certain pomo vibe that might make some clutch their pearls.
But what makes his novels so dear to me is the fact that he put Bucharest, my homecity, on the literary map. He depicts a city of mythological proportions, a city within a city. He put into words his personal mythology of Bucharest. To make an analogy, I would say that in a way he is to Bucharest what Pamuk is to Istanbul.

So here is your thread Daniel. :) I tried to keep it brief, I tried to make it more factual, but it still turned out rather cheesy. Oh well.

Here is the wiki link too, although I don't find it illuminating at all:
Mircea C?rt?rescu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

e joseph

Reader
...I tried to keep it brief, I tried to make it more factual, but it still turned out rather cheesy. Oh well.
I know this exact feeling reading anything I've written on this site longer than 3 sentences. I liked its brevity, informativeness and cheesiness though. Thanks.

B

Backwords

Sounds interesting. I'm going to get Nostalgia at the library. Thx.

Daniel del Real

So here is your thread Daniel. :) I tried to keep it brief, I tried to make it more factual, but it still turned out rather cheesy. Oh well.

Thanks a lot for the thread Miercuri, you did very well actually. I'd prefer to read this in Spanish, since being a Romance language it is closer to Romanian than English, but I think he hasn't been translated into Spanish yet, or am I wrong? I'll make my research because it really seems an inspiring author.
I really liked the comparison you did on Cartarescu/Bucharest and Pamuk/Istanbul.

Bjorn

Reader
Yeah, thanks for starting this thread, miercuri. I've somehow ended up with only the third volume of Orbitor on my shelf, so I'll have to search out the first two, but he's definitely on my TBR list.

Eric

Former Member
Ee, Joseph, you should read some of the succinct reviews in English, less than a hundred lines long, which still manage to include words such as subterraneously, holographic, fractalic, parabolic, Bildungsromanish (who put the "dung" in Bildungsroman?), trompe-l'?il, and anglot.

Ee, I'm glad I'm not educated.

Seriously though, Cărtărescu does sound to be an interesting author. Sticking to quasi-monosyllabic vocabulary, I would say that novels that are set in a real city, and when this forms more than a backdrop, appeal to me.

I found an excerpt here:

WWB: from The Roulette Player by Mircea Cartarescu, translated from the Romanian by Julian Semilian

So, English-speakers can judge for themselves from this brief sampler. Another piece by him:

WWB: Nabokov in Brasov by Mircea Cartarescu, translated from the Romanian by Julian Semilian

e joseph

Reader
Eric, clearly I'm not educated either. I've no idea what you're talking about. Care to attempt to dumb it down for me?

Daniel del Real

The only book I found translated to Spanish is one named "Why we like women" by an unknown to me, Funambulista Editors.
Do you know this book Miercuri?

miercuri

Reader
Yes, it's compilation of short stories/articles priviously published in Elle Magazine. He was a 'special guest' contributing writer for Elle Romania a few years ago. :p I thought it was an ok book, but it doesn't really illustrate his style. It became a bestseller over here though. Cărtărescu said it was the only book that actually brought him some financial gain. Of course, there were critics who argued that he was selling out and he could no longer be taken seriously as a writer...
The bit that Eric has posted earlier, Nabokov in Brasov, is one of the short stories from Why we love wome. The other one is an excerpt from the prologue of Nostalgia.
Daniel, I think I read somewhere that The Dream, the first edition of Nostalgia was transtated to Spanish in 1990, but I would guess it is long out of print. :confused:

Daniel del Real

Yes, it's compilation of short stories/articles priviously published in Elle Magazine. He was a 'special guest' contributing writer for Elle Romania a few years ago. :p I thought it was an ok book, but it doesn't really illustrate his style. It became a bestseller over here though. Cărtărescu said it was the only book that actually brought him some financial gain. Of course, there were critics who argued that he was selling out and he could no longer be taken seriously as a writer...
The bit that Eric has posted earlier, Nabokov in Brasov, is one of the short stories from Why we love wome. The other one is an excerpt from the prologue of Nostalgia.
Daniel, I think I read somewhere that The Dream, the first edition of Nostalgia was transtated to Spanish in 1990, but I would guess it is long out of print. :confused:

I think is going to be hard to find Cartarescu's books, however I'll be searching carefully for them in the Guadalajara Book Fair opening November 28th. In a place so big they must have something. Or maybe not, 85% of the stands are full of crap.
So, wish me luck :)

miercuri

Reader
Well good luck with that! And, on a side note, have fun at the bookfair! I imagine it must take a while to explore that place.

Eric

Former Member
While attending a meeting last Friday of the Translators' Section of the Swedish Writers' Union, I chatted a little to someone called Inger Johansson. And it turns out that she has translated four Cărtărescu books into Swedish: Nostalgia, plus the Orbitor trilogy. This is well over 1,000 pages in total. Björn already mentioned he was reading the books in November 2009. I only really discovered them last weekend.

My question. have any of these four books appeared in English? If not, why not? Are any of them being translated right now into English? As you can see, looking back on this thread, I did find an excerpt or two, plus short fragments. But without a whole book or two to look forward to, your interest soon palls. I was taking the piss back in November 2009 in my own comment, as I sometimes feel that reviewers are frustrated authors who think the world will notice of them is they use long or pseudy words. Luckily, while I have been put off for just over a year, by the person who used "stochastic", the books themselves look a good deal more readable. Why do reviewers sometimes sabotage interest?

Now that I can read Cărtărescu in a language I know well, and the stochastic man seems to have gone away, I shall probably read them.

miercuri

Reader
My question. have any of these four books appeared in English?
Well, Nostalgia has been translated. I left a link at the top. But there doesn't seem to be much interest for Orbitor, even though it was translated into French and German.

Daniel del Real

As I anticipated in my post from more than a year ago, it's almost imposible to find any Cartarescu in Spanish, at least in Mexico. In Spain there are 3 titles available, all of them published by small publishing houses. It's going to be easier to read Nostaliga en English, it will be in my next Amazon shipment cuz I'm really interested in reading this author.

Rumpelstilzchen

Former Member
Just discovered this thread via the Nobel speculation thread (thanks to Adaorardor).

The author sounds really interesting. Several books seem to have been translated into German: how lucky we are :). I any case, will go for Nostalgia first.

Thanks Miercuri :)

Daniel del Real

Just discovered this thread via the Nobel speculation thread (thanks to Adaorardor).

The author sounds really interesting. Several books seem to have been translated into German: how lucky we are :). I any case, will go for Nostalgia first.

Thanks Miercuri :)

I purchased this book earlier this month. Will read it later this year.