Recent content by Phil D

1. Phil D

Recently finished books?

Would be more than happy to read him as a Wolfie nominee
  2. Phil D

Recently finished books?

🇭🇹/🇨🇦 Dany Laferrière - Comment faire l'amour avec un Nègre sans se fatiguer (How to Make Love to a Negro Without Getting Tired) - (++) Two poor young bohemian Black men – Vieux, our narrator, budding novelist, and Bouba, Freudian-Muslim-mystique – share a tiny apartment during a stifling...
  3. Phil D

The Book Recommendations Thread

You're welcome! I just remembered that the novela Los cachorros (The Cubs) and also Conversación en La Catedral (Conversation in the Cathedral), probably my two favourite works by MVLL, both have pretty important leaps in time as well. Los cachorros is only about 50-60 pages long, so you could...
  4. Phil D

The Book Recommendations Thread

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut is the first example that comes to mind for me. Chilean Poet by Alejandro Zambra also fits this description from memory. Both highly recommended. I'll keep thinking 🙂 Edit: The Green House by Vargas Llosa and The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner have...
  5. Phil D

Understanding Nobel Prize: 1916--1919

Wonderful to have someone with knowledge of Catalan literature in the forum, Lullius! Benvingut! 😊
  6. Phil D

Recently Begun Books

🇭🇹/🇨🇦 Dany Laferrière - Comment faire l'amour avec un Nègre sans se fatiguer (How to Make Love to a Negro Without Getting Tired) 🇧🇷 Chico Buarque - Budapeste (Budapest)
  7. Phil D

Recently finished books?

🇸🇩 Tayeb Salih - Época de migración al norte (trans. María Luisa Cavero) (Season of Migration to the North / موسم الهجرة إلى الشمال) (++) Chose the Spanish translation after some hesitation because it's much more recent (1999) than the English and seems to correct certain factual errors around...
  8. Phil D

Recently finished books?

Great to hear it's been re-translated. I'm a little surprised they kept the previous English title, rather than going with something closer to the Spanish. Zambra could hardly be more different to Carpentier as a novelist but I'd still be interested to know what he's got to say about it.
  9. Phil D

Recently finished books?

El siglo de las luces (Explosion in a Cathedral) is one of the most enjoyable reading experiences I've ever had. I've never understood why it isn't more famous in English. Spectacular novel.
  10. Phil D

Recently finished books?

🇺🇸 Raymond Chandler - Playback (++) Silly plot, but when the prose is this stylish who cares.
  11. Phil D

Recently finished books?

🇦🇷 Mariana Enriquez - Las cosas que perdimos en el fuego (Things We Lost in the Fire) (++) Short stories, mostly horror. Horror's not usually my thing but, aside from creating genuinely interesting monstrosities and disturbances, Enriquez (sic, no tilde for some reason) writes stories that are...
  12. Phil D

New & Notable

P.S. For those who don't know what Australian football ('footy' or 'Aussie rules') is, here's a short video that gives a pretty good explanation
  13. Phil D

New & Notable

New Helen Garner book, The Season, a memoir about Australian football, coming August 2024 🥰🏉 http://agenceelianebenisti.com/2024/03/the-season-de-helen-garner/
  14. Phil D

Recently finished books?

Oh really! I couldn't find an English translation. 'Sultry' works much better in the title than 'hot' though. Thanks for letting me know, I'll update the original post.
  15. Phil D

Recently finished books?

I think the book is mostly remembered as the basis of the film, which I haven't seen but which I suspect is better. I came across the book completely by chance and it wasn't bad, but it's the sort of thing I can't imagine recommending or re-reading.