Search results

1. miercuri

I need a second opinion

Preferably that of a native speaker of English. I'm translating a text and there's the description of a very select gentlemen's club in one paragraph. I am not really sure if I am fully grasping the meaning of this sentence: Does it say that they are very picky with accepting new members...
  2. miercuri

A Reader's Block

I am going through a rather upsetting reader's block, this post might turn out a bit long and whiney. I'll try not to rant too much, or be too personal. I haven't really felt like reading since early December, around the same time started living alone. I've had other reader blocks before but...
  3. miercuri

The 'Recently Watched Films' Thread

Maybe Stewart will disagree, but I think we need a film topic which is not about our favourite films. For instance, I want to tell you all how incredibly bad the most recent adaptation of Dorian Gray is. Avoid it at all costs. I've just watched it a bit earlier, it was awful. At the beginning I...
  4. miercuri

Mircea Cărtărescu

Mircea Cărtărescu is one of the most widely translated contemporary Romanian authors, although outside Romania he still remains rather obscure. He started off as a rebellious poet in the 80's. He was part of the so-called 'blue jeans generation' of poets. He wrote quirky, playful poetry (some...
  5. miercuri

Authors videos

I laughed all my way through this interview, I just had to post it here. YouTube - Craig Ferguson 10/27/9E Late Late Show Salman Rushdie Craig Ferguson always gets the best out of his guests and his guests get the best out of Craig Ferguson. Feel free to post any sort of video material...
  6. miercuri

It's Gay to Smoke or the Worst Anti-Smoking Campaign in History

Someone linked me to this on facebook. I was appalled. How do they come up with this stuff?! Am I am the only one thinking these ads are seriously wrong? Take a look -> New Anti-Smoking Ads Warn Teens 'It's Gay To Smoke' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
  7. miercuri

Mircea Eliade

I am sure Eliade's name rings a bell to many people, however it was not his fiction that made him world-famous. I wanted to open a thread about Eliade's literary endeavours exclusively and see if there is anyone familiar with them. I first discovered Eliade through his prose when I was in...