Best 100 novels in Spanish in the XXth century

sailer

Re: best 100 novels in Spanish in the last 25 years

This seems like the appropiate thread to resuciate for my question given all the in-depth discussion on Spanish writers.

what books would you recommend me to read if I wanted to read something entertaining and very funny? If the author is from Spain , it would make it even better.

The last book I read was called " Dime quien soy" by Julia Navarro and it was heavy and dark given its setting in the civil war and cold war. I enjoyed the few one-Liners it had however wished a more light and humoristic book.

Stevie B

Current Member

This seems like the appropiate thread to resuciate for my question given all the in-depth discussion on Spanish writers.

what books would you recommend me to read if I wanted to read something entertaining and very funny? If the author is from Spain , it would make it even better.

The last book I read was called " Dime quien soy" by Julia Navarro and it was heavy and dark given its setting in the civil war and cold war. I enjoyed the few one-Liners it had however wished a more light and humoristic book.

I have two recommendations for you - "No Word from Gurb" by Eduardo Mendoza (Spain) and Captain Pantoja and the Special Service by Mario Vargas Llosa (Peru).

Daniel del Real

Good recommendations Stevie. I would also suggest Los Misterios de Madrid by Antonio Muñoz Molina, or any of the Detective Conde novels by Leonardo Padura.

sailer

Opinions on "[h=1]Gente que no viene ¡Y bah!" By Laura Norton?[/h]
There are a lot of reviews saying it is a hilarious book to read.

ben6390

Good day all. I am wondering if anyone could recommed any spanish language books from Latin America, particularly from Peru, if you may know any. I am an MA student in the UK and I would love to get my hands on some literature from that country/part of the world as I've got a great interest since reading 100 años de soledad, Como Agua para Chocolate & Amor en los tiempos de cólera

Thank you :)

Daniel del Real

It would be too obvious to recommend you books by Mario Vargas Llosa, so I'll avoid that.
I'm currently reading short stories by Julio Ramón Ribeyro and he is really good in this field. Recommend you any book or selection of tales you could find.
Some poetry by César Vallejo is always enjoyable; probably not Tricle as it is very difficult even for Spanish speakers, but Los Heraldos Negros is a great way to start.
If you want something a little bit lighter but entertaining there is Abril Rojo by Santiago Roncangliolo, a detective thriller that does it good.

tiganeasca

Deep Rivers (Los ríos profundos) by José María Arguedas (in answer to ben6390).