Charles Dickens: Great Expectations

titania7

Reader
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

There are some books that have been spoken about to such an extent, that a person feels as if they would have few original things to say about them. Charles Dickens' classic, Great Expectations, is one such book. From Pip to Estella to Miss Havisham, the characters have become part of our literary culture. And not without good reason. Unlike lesser writers, who depict their characters as one-dimensional people, Dickens creates characters that are truly made of flesh and blood. They are people who come to life, whom we can fully relate to, who make the same kind of mistakes we make, day in and day out.

Pip is at the core of this masterpiece, and Dickens puts a great deal of effort into establishing him as a character we can all empathize with. He is an orphan, the unwanted "ward" of his sister, Mrs. Joe Gargery. From the start of the book, it's evident that Pip is used to being mistreated. His sister is physically abusive, and fails to demonstrate any level of true caring towards him. She insists on the bread being cut at dinner in a certain way, and doesn't allow Pip take a candle to bed, in spite of the fact he is frightened of the dark. She is vituperative, berates Pip frequently, and even abuses her husband, Joe. As Pip tells us in Chapter 2 of this 458-page book:

"My sister, Mrs. Joe Gargery, was more than twenty years older than I, and had established a great reputation with herself and the neighbours because she had brought me up 'by hand.' Having at that time to find out for myself what the expression meant, and knowing her to have a hard and heavy hand, and to be much in the habit of laying it upon her husband as well as upon me, I supposed that Joe Gargery and I were both brought up by hand."

His sister isn't the only character who instills fear in the young Pip. The book begins with an encounter between Pip and the convict, Abel Magwitch.

"A fearful man, all in coarse grey, with a great iron in his leg. A man with no hat, and with broken shoes, and with an old rag tied around his head. A man who had been soaked in water, and smothered in mud, and lamed by stones, and cut by flints, and stung by nettles, and torn by briars; who limped, and shivered, and glared, and growled; and whose teeth chattered in his head...."

Upon their initial meeting, Magwitch seizes Pip by the chin and tells him he has "half a mind" to eat his fat cheeks. He asks Pip details of who his mother and father are, and demands that he bring him some food, or "wittles," as he calls them.

Frightened, Pip promises him he'll do so, and begins saving up some of the rations his sister allots him. He even steals a savoury pork pie that Mrs. Joe (as she is called) has planned to serve for Christmas Day dinner. When he takes this pie to Magwitch, he encounters another stranger, a man who attacks Magwitch and whom Pip helps defend Magwitch against. Because of Pip's aid, Magwitch promises that he will one day repay him.

Cut to the character of Miss Havisham. Few embittered old spinsters have made as much of an impression on readers throughout the decades as the lonely, cynical Miss Havisham. Like many men and women who live their entire lives wrapped up in a cocoon of past experiences, Miss Havisham has no desire to break free. She is a woman who has built a cage around herself, a cage she refuses to let herself out of, a cage that eventually becomes a fatal prison. When Pip first comes upon her, he says:

"In an arm-chair, with an elbow resting on the table and her head leaning on that hand, (was) the strangest lady I had ever seen, or ever shall see. She was dressed in rich materials--satins, and lace, and silks--all of white. Her shoes were white. And she had a long white veil dependent from her hair, and she had bridal flowers in her hair, but her hair was white. Some bright jewels sparkled on her neck and on her hands, and some other jewels lay sparkling on the table. Dresses less splendid than the dress she wore, and half-packed trunks, were scattered about. She had not quite finished dressing, for she had but one shoe on--the other was on the table near her hand.....It was not in the first moments that I saw all these things, though I saw more in the first moments than might be supposed. But, I saw that everything within my view which ought to be white, had been white long ago, and had lost its lustre, and was faded and yellow."

Never has there been a more poignant rendering of a woman who has allowed an unreciprocated love to destroy her, than Dickens' portrait of Miss Havisham. Forgotten on her wedding day, betrayed by the one man she ever cared about, she remains in a time warp of her own making, her heart having lost all its warmth decades before. She is incapable of moving past the event that brought an end to her romantic illusions, incapable of forgetting the man who hurt her so deeply--in short, incapable of truly living.

Her ward, Estella, makes a vivid impression on the reader from the start.The fact that the name, Estella, means "star-like" and love, demonstrates that Dickens was being ironic in his choice of moniker. Estella is a cold child, aloof and haughty. Pip tells us:

"...she (Estella) was about of my own age. She seemed much older than I, of course, being a girl, and beautiful and self-possessed; and she was scornful of me as if she had been one-and-twenty, and a queen."

What may not be initially evident to the reader is where this scornful attitude is derived from. However, we are enlightened rather quickly. Miss Havisham is using Estella as a vessel through which to vindicate herself against the world, and, specifically, against men. It is not enough that she remain cynical and bitter--she must take her revenge against the male sex. Estella treats Pip in much the way a mistress would treat a slave, as if is he is almost too inferior to associate with. At the same time, she taunts him with her beauty, even requesting at one point that he kiss her:

"...Instead of going straight to the gate too, she stepped back into the passage, and beckoned me.

'Come here! You may kiss me if you like.'

I kissed her cheek as she turned it to me. I think I would have gone through a great deal to kiss her check. But I felt the kiss was given to the coarse common boy as a piece of money might have been, and that it was worth noting."

Estella's cold condescension does not repulse Pip, however. Indeed, it seems to do exactly the opposite. As is often the case, the unattainable is more beguiling than that which is readily procured. Miss Havisham's cunning plan is off to a promising beginning. Estella is playing her part with a meticulousness that is matchless, and Pip is falling right into her--and, most importantly, Miss Havisham's--hands. After a game of cards that takes place at Miss Havisham's run-down mansion, she remarks to Pip:

"'You say nothing of her (Estella)...She says many hard things of you, but you say nothing of her. What do you think of her?"

"'I don't like to say,'" I stammered.

"'Tell me in my ear,'" said Miss Havisham, bending down.

"'I think she is very proud,'" I replied, in a whisper.

"'Anything else?'"

"'I think she is very pretty.'"

"'Anything else?'"

"'I think she is very insulting.' (She was looking at me then, with a look of supreme aversion)."

The more contemptuously Estella treats Pip, the more drawn to her he seems to be. She makes fun of him when he cries, gives him orders, and genuinely makes herself detestable. Yet, he falls in love with her. It is easy, when infatuated, to overlook many things. Not only is love blind--infatuation is also oblivious. But Pip's feelings for Estella quickly become something more than a passing fancy. Although the message of Great Expectations extends far beyond a story of misplaced love, the relationship between Pip and the calculating Estella must truly be one of the most memorable in all of Dickens' many novels. At fourteen, Estella has already been indoctrinated by Miss Havisham. She is the archetypal heartless female--callous, demanding, imperious, and aloof. The very epitome of an "ice queen."

Cut to Pip's unexpected opportunity. Considering the fact that Pip spends his childhood years in the blacksmith shop of his brother-in-law Joe, and sleeps and resides in his sister's impoverished home, it can only be seen as a stroke of good fortune when he is approached by a solicitor named Mr. Jaggers one day while he is working in Joe's shop. He presents Pip with the prospect of going to London and "becoming a gentleman," an unprecedented event in Pip's grim life. Pip immediately accepts the invitation, assuming that Miss Havisham is the person behind it. Being fixated on Estella, he can only imagine--most likely because this is what he wants to think--that Miss Havisham is preparing him to one day become Estella's husband.

When he goes to London, he is introduced to Herbert Pocket, a young relative of Miss Havisham, who becomes his living companion. Although initially, Herbert seems like a relatively insignificant character, it eventually becomes evident that he plays a pivotal role in the story. His cheerful mien is a good contrast to Pip's more melancholic personality, and he also becomes an important confidante, providing Pip with a listening ear and an understanding heart. He freely shares his sentiments regarding Estella with him, assuring him that his heart belongs to her. Herbert tries to instill common sense into Pip, telling him at one point:

"That girl (Estella) is hard and haughty and capricious to the last degree, and has been brought up by Miss Havisham to wreak revenge on all the male sex."

It is not until Herbert shares the story of Miss Havisham's heartache with Pip that he becomes fully aware of why Miss Havisham lives such a strange, cloistered existence. It turns out that twenty-five years before, she was made love to by a showy man who claimed to be devoted to her. In spite of the fact that Miss Havisham was not the type to be seduced easily, she fell passionately in love with the man, adoring him to the point of idolatry. She gave the man great sums of money, ignoring the sagacious advice of those around her, who told her he was taking advantage of her and her love for him. The love story ended up with Miss Havisham being deserted on her wedding day, a mere twenty minutes before the ceremony was to have begun. And Herbert discloses to Pip:

"...at which time afterwards she stopped all the clocks." Having heard this, Pip begins to understand both Miss Havisham and the behavior Estella has exhibited towards him. However, as is often the case when it comes to love, knowing why the person we love behaves the way they do doesn't prevent us from continuing to love them.

When Pip next sees Estella she has grown up into a beautiful and majestic young lady. The haughty, stiff young girl is gone. In her place is a woman fully capable of capturing and breaking Pip's still vulnerable heart.

"...She was much changed, was so much more beautiful, so much more womanly, in all things winning admiration had made such wonderful advance, that I seemed to have made none. I fancied, as I looked at her, that I slipped hopelessly back into the coarse and common boy again. O the sense of distance and disparity that came upon me, and the inaccessibility that came about her!"

Pip is well aware of the fact that he is still looked down upon by Estella. Though he has kept company with a group of dandies in London and has begun the long process of educating himself (thanks to his mysterious benefactor), he still feels inherent shame over his pitiful background. Though Estella admits, after Miss Havisham queries her, that Pip has changed a great deal, she remains the aloof queen, treating him rather like an admirer who simply amuses her. Pip is fully cognizant of this.
He tells us:

"The air of completeness and superiority with which she walked at my side, and the air of youthfulness and submission with which I walked at hers, made a contrast that I strongly felt."

She discloses to him on this same walk, that she is incapable of human feeling. When Pip tells her that she once made him cry, she doesn't even remember. She demonstrates no regret for having wounded him.

"You must know," said Estella, condescending to me as a brilliant and beautiful woman might, "that I have no heart--if that has anything to do with my memory....Oh, I have a heart to be stabbed in or shot in, I have no doubt...and of course, if it ceased to beat, I should cease to be. But you know what I mean. I have no softness there, no--sympathy--sentiment--nonsense."

As she looks attentively at him, Pip wonders how much of her being resembles that of Miss Havisham. He seems little similarity, and, perhaps because of this, he refuses to take what she has to say at face value. He refuses to believe her. But then, a person is disinclined to take a negative self-assessment at its full worth when it is made by someone he or she cares about. It is difficult for anyone to believe that the person they love is as heartless, selfish, or unfeeling as they say they are. Indeed, it is difficult to accept the loved one's words even when he or she makes it clear that they will hurt us. Such is the case with Pip and Estella.

Yet, the reader remains reluctant to blame Estella for anything when it is ostensibly clear that Miss Havisham is at the root of everything. "Is she beautiful, graceful, well-grown?" Miss Havisham asks Pip on the same occasion that Estella has told Pip she is heartless. "Do you admire her?" she persists. Then she tells him, drawing his head close down to hers, "Love her, love her, love her!" These instructions are scarcely necessary, though, as Pip already does. He writes:

"Far into the night, Miss Havisham's words, 'Love her, love her, love her!' sounded in my ears. I adapted them for my own repetition, and said to my pillow, 'I love her, I love her, I love her,' hundreds of times.'"

Pip continues to believe that Estella and he will end up together, as soon as he has finished his education of "becoming a gentleman." When Joe Gargery comes to visit him in London, he can hardly stand it because it is a reminder of the rural background from which he came. Although he loves Joe, he is ashamed of the fact he knows him. He cannot bear anything about him--his lack of education, his lack of breeding, and what seems to Pip to be a certain crudity and commonness. The theme of loyalty towards those we love is also something the reader feels Dickens was trying to explore. The idea of letting go of those who mean a great deal to us, yet who have not moved up in the world as we have, is something many can relate to. Let's face it--sometimes where we end up is simply not where we began. And re-visiting our roots can be painful, if not humiliating.

Cut to Pip's twenty-first birthday. Pip was told, upon his arrival in London, that the name of his benefactor would not be disclosed for quite some time. And it is on his twenty-first birthday that he finally does discover the truth. Although he had managed to convince himself that Miss Havisham was the person behind his good fortune, it turns out that it is Abel Magwitch instead. Rather than being grateful, Pip is both ashamed and horrified. On the one hand, he is angry with Miss Havisham for making him believe that she had anything to do with his opportunities. On the other hand, he is embarrassed that he must be in any way connected with a common criminal. This is yet another instance of Pip rejecting someone on the basis of class and social status. Even though Magwitch cares for him deeply and makes his affection clear, Pip refuses to reciprocate it in any way. He is a sophisticated young gentleman now--he can not afford to associate with a man of Magwitch's ilk.

Shortly after this, Pip returns to Miss Havisham, intending to berate her for having deceived him into thinking she was his benefactor. However, he is sidetracked by the announcement of Estella's forthcoming marriage. In spite of actions on her part that should have led him to believe exactly the opposite, Pip has held on to the hope that the two of them would end up together. Great expectations indeed.

When an accident takes place during Pip's visit to the Havisham mansion, a glimpse at the humanity and compassion he still retains is glimpsed by the reader. He comes to Miss Havisham's aid when her dress is set on fire, thereby temporarily saving her life. This scene is significant in that it shows that Pip is still capable of caring for someone beyond himself and Estella. So often, when a person is obsessed with a man or woman they love, that person becomes the focal point of his or her existence. And for Pip, Estella represents his true raison d' etre. Everything he does is in some way influenced by her. She is the constant occupant of his thoughts. Even her marriage to another man cannot bring an end to Pip's obsession.

He does, however, manage to redeem himself. When he falls ill and Joe Gargery nurses him, he starts to see that what a person is--their qualities and character--are much more important than how much money or education they have or what their social status is. He has, over the course of time and the somewhat difficult hand life has dealt him, learned lessons that many of us wait a lifetime to discover.

The criticisms of Dickens' writing--that it is long-winded, discursive, and even heavy-handed--seem to be forgotten when one reads this book. Those who have claimed he had little understanding of romance and male-female relationships must surely admit that, in this particular novel, such is not the case. What Dickens offers to those who read him is not just a glimpse into the inner core of life. Likewise, the general exuberance that characterizes much of his fiction is not what makes him such a
phenomenal author. Rather, it is his profound understanding of human nature that puts him a class with few others who have ever penned a book. To many, including the writer and Dickens admirer, G. K. Chesterton, all his novels seem to be about "great expectations" as they present characters who are always expecting something. To me, though, the greatness in his novels and what makes them genuinely timeless is not something that can be summed up in one sentence, much less a mere phrase. It is a greatness that defies explanation, a greatness that must be read to be fully understood.

To close this review, I will use a monologue of Pip's--a speech he makes to his one true love, Estella. These passages, to me at least, demonstrate why Dickens is an incomparable writer. He comprehends completely the most important emotion any of us can feel, the only emotion that can decidedly alter our lives, for better or worse. And that emotion is love.

"You (Estella) are part of my existence, part of myself. You have been in every line I have ever read, since I first came here...You have been in every prospect I have ever seen....You have been the embodiment of every graceful fancy that my mind has ever become acquainted with. The stones of which the strongest London buildings are made are not more real, or more impossible to be displaced by your hands, than your presence and influence have been to me, there and everywhere, and will be. Estella, to the last hour of my life, you cannot choose but remain part of my character, part of the little good in me, part of the evil."

Thank you, Charles Dickens, for reminding us what love is....and for showing us just how powerful a force it can be.

Great Expectations was written between the years of 1860 and 1861. Charles Dickens only completed one novel after it, the lengthy and important Our Mutual Friend. His final book, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, was never finished. Great Expectations remains one of the most beloved of all Dickens' work, even prompting some, such as the writer, John Irving, to say "...it (Great Expectations) is the first novel I read that made me wish I had written it; it is the novel that made me want to be a novelist--specifically, to move a reader as I was moved then."

My rating: *****+++

My advice: If you haven't yet done so, read this book. Immediately. For the record, this is the third time I have read the book,
and I would list it among my top 5 favorites.

~Titania

Last edited:

Isis

Titania,
Thanks so much for your fabulous review of Charles Dickens' Great Expectations. I re-read it about a year and a half ago and was blown away yet again by what a wonderful writer Dickens is and what a phenomenal tale the story encompasses. There are both fairy-tale elements with the descriptions of the larger-than-life, withered Miss Havisham and her rotting twenty-year-old wedding gown and rotten cake covered with spiders and cobwebs and Pip's mysterious benefactor who grants Pip's heart's desire to be a gentleman so that he'll be good enough for Estella. And what a long-suffering love Pip has for Estella in spite of her heartlessness! I loved that description of Pip's feelings for her that you quoted. It was one of the passages I love most in the entire book. Just as it is for you, Great Expectations remains one of my all-time favorite books.

Isis~

lionel

Reader
My advice: If you haven't yet done so, read this book. Immediately.

If this is advice, Miss, I?d hate to hear any of your commands. But may I be excused, as I?ve already read it twice, and it?s been rosily imprinted on my imagination by David Lean since then anyway?

I had to read this forty years ago for O level, under the avuncular guidance of Booker-winner Stanley Middleton, who?s still churning out books at nearly ninety. Trouble is, Leavis was his hero, and he subjected us all to close reading of the text, giving us a ten-question test every Friday morning, after we?d all read a chapter or two of the book. I?m paraphrasing here, but one of the questions went: ?How many mice scampered across Miss Havisham?s floor?? I may have altered the verb to render it a little more exciting than ?ran across?, but my reaction to that question is still the same: ?Who give a shit how many mice scampered across the floor?? (Needless to say, a few clever clogs got the answer right, which I found incomprehensible.)

Why incomprehensible? Because, surely, our attentions should have been on more important things. Stan Middo was and still is a great guy, but I?ll never forgive him for this stupid question :), which is enough to put anyone off English literature for life.

Nevertheless, in spite Leavis?s dominant presence over literature, I loved it and loved Great Expectations.

Titania mentions a number of things, and I?m again reminded that books are about moments, and there are a couple that spring to mind about the minor character Wemmick and his girlfriend Miss Skiffins. As I recall, Miss Skiffins won?t allow Wemmick to put his arm around her waist ? until, I believe, the time when they become engaged. (I?m sure Miss Titania will rap my knuckles with her steel rule if I?ve not got all the details right though.)

Great Expectations is about coming of age, maturing out of petty snobbery and prejudices. It?s painful to see Joe in London and we hate Pip for his embarrassment at the same time as we empathise with him: coming of age is a painful process, especially if you?ve changed class in Victorian England. In Pip?s change he?s forgotten that he too, in London society, was once exactly what Joe is here, and in Dickens?s own phrase from another novel: ?a dolphin in a sentry box?. This makes me wonder how many other dolphins in sentry boxes I?ve missed in Dickens?s novels, as I believe this is exactly how Dickens himself must have often felt in his journey from the blacking factory to riches and lecture tours in America.

Thanks for the memory, Titania.

titania7

Reader
lionel said:
If this is advice, Miss, I?d hate to hear any of your commands.

I only give advice. No commands, luv. I may be a bit of a coquette, but I'm not a demanding female ;).

lionel said:
But may I be excused, as I?ve already read it twice, and it?s been rosily imprinted on my imagination by David Lean since then anyway?

You know, I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't seen David Lean's adaptation of Great Expectations. Since he's always been one of my favorite directors, the omission is rather glaring. Now that you've brought it to mind, though, I'll order it from the library.

lionel said:
I had to read this forty years ago for O level, under the avuncular guidance of Booker-winner Stanley Middleton, who?s still churning out books at nearly ninety. Trouble is, Leavis was his hero, and he subjected us all to close reading of the text, giving us a ten-question test every Friday morning, after we?d all read a chapter or two of the book. I?m paraphrasing here, but one of the questions went: ?How many mice scampered across Miss Havisham?s floor?? I may have altered the verb to render it a little more exciting than ?ran across?, but my reaction to that question is still the same: ?Who give a shit how many mice scampered across the floor?? (Needless to say, a few clever clogs got the answer right, which I found incomprehensible.)

I haven't any idea how many mice scampered (looove that word, by the way ;)) across Miss Havisham's floor, but I do know we have one little mouse that scampers across the floor of our garage. We don't have any rotten wedding cake to feed the lit'l critter. However, he seems to have a penchant for sunflower seeds, and those are high in protein and much healthier than the cake would be.

It sounds like your ten-question tests every Friday weren't anything to look forward to, Lionel. I can't even imagine what Miss Havisham's number of mice would have to do with anything! But I daresay your teacher had a lot of fun compiling his lists of questions for those exams.

lionel said:
...surely, our attentions should have been on more important things.

Indeed.

lionel said:
Stan Middo was and still is a great guy, but I?ll never forgive him for this stupid question :), which is enough to put anyone off English literature for life.

Well, it seems you took it in stride, Lionel. I wonder what the long-term
affects were of Mr. Middo's teaching on your classmates. Hmmm....

lionel said:
Nevertheless, in spite Leavis?s dominant presence over literature, I loved it and loved Great Expectations.

You see, you're the type of man who always rises above the Stan Middos
of this world! It doesn't surprise me at all that you ended up loving Great Expectations. Indeed, I would've scarcely expected anything else, Lionel.

lionel said:
Titania mentions a number of things, and I?m again reminded that books are about moments

Yes, they are about moments. More than characters or plot, it's those magical moments in a book (or a film) that stay with us forever.

lionel said:
and there are a couple that spring to mind about the minor character Wemmick and his girlfriend Miss Skiffins. As I recall, Miss Skiffins won?t allow Wemmick to put his arm around her waist ? until, I believe, the time when they become engaged.

You're right. Miss Skiffins was very particular about that.

lionel said:
(I?m sure Miss Titania will rap my knuckles with her steel rule if I?ve not got all the details right though.)

Ha ha. You know better than that ;).

lionel said:
Great Expectations is about coming of age, maturing out of petty snobbery and prejudices. It?s painful to see Joe in London and we hate Pip for his embarrassment at the same time as we empathise with him: coming of age is a painful process, especially if you?ve changed class in Victorian England. In Pip?s change he?s forgotten that he too, in London society, was once exactly what Joe is here, and in Dickens?s own phrase from another novel: ?a dolphin in a sentry box?. This makes me wonder how many other dolphins in sentry boxes I?ve missed in Dickens?s novels, as I believe this is exactly how Dickens himself must have often felt in his journey from the blacking factory to riches and lecture tours in America.

I'm glad you brought up this phrase, "dolphin in a sentry box." So far, I've only read five of Dickens' novels, and I don't think I was looking for any dolphins when I perused them ;). However, you make such an apt point, Lionel, about how Dickens himself must have felt like a "dolphin in a sentry box" when he moved out of the working class and ended up being among the literary celebrities. I'm certain it was an adjustment that was extraordinarily awkward for him.

The comments about empathizing with Pip in my review were intended to
spark discussions about this book such as what you shared above. Anyone whose social status and class level has drastically altered since when they were young must surely relate to Pip. Coming of age is indeed a painful process, and it is particularly painful for Pip. I think the fact he is fully cognizant of his embarrassment regarding Joe, and feels ashamed of it,
makes the reader feel even more closely attuned to him.

An excerpt from an essay by John Lucas, professor of English and Drama
at the University of Loughborough in Leicestershire, England, follows:

"...The severity of Pip's self-judgement may eventually prove to be in excess of what he has to show us of his life. In other words, there is a third point of view that Great Expectations allows us--ours. Almost the best thing about the novel is that because of the self-excoriating quality with which Pip is determined to tell the truth about himself, we understand that his desire to atone for past errors leads him to identify error where none exists. There must be no hint of a desire for martyrdom about this, or the novel will be ruined. Dickens's success depends on his making Pip's desire for atonement plausible and honorable, not priggish or coy. And by and large the success is guaranteed because in spite of Pip's faults we are persuaded of his honesty, candor and essential likeability. Because, although it is proper that he should regard the course of his life as dictated by faults, it is also proper that we should see the matter otherwise. In particular, the novel makes us understand that great expectations are highly problematic. Can one even be guilty of entertaining them, or are they inevitably fed into people's lives?"

That last question is food for thought. Is it not?

lionel said:
Thanks for the memory, Titania.

Thank you, Lionel, for sharing your thoughts about the book.

~Titania

Jayaprakash

Reader
Peter Carey's JACK MAGGS may serve as an interesting pendant to this book. The convict, Magwitch, was of course deported to Australia - reading GREAT EXPECTATIONS, the Australian Carey realised that Magwitch was the sort of person who was a part of his country's history. This inspired him to write a take on the GREAT EXPECTATIONS story from the convict's point of view, although it's not a straight re-telling. It also includes the young Charles Dickens as a character, not in an altogether flattering light.

titania7

Reader
Jayaprakash said:
Peter Carey's JACK MAGGS may serve as an interesting pendant to this book. The convict, Magwitch, was of course deported to Australia - reading GREAT EXPECTATIONS, the Australian Carey realised that Magwitch was the sort of person who was a part of his country's history. This inspired him to write a take on the GREAT EXPECTATIONS story from the convict's point of view, although it's not a straight re-telling. It also includes the young Charles Dickens as a character, not in an altogether flattering light.

Jayaprakash,
I haven't yet read any of Peter Carey's work, nor did I know anything about this book! It sounds fascinating! In fact, you piqued my interest to such an extent that I just ordered Jack Maggs from the library. I might even have a chance to pick it up tomorrow. The fact that the story is written from Magwitch's point of view is what intrigues me. It'll be interesting to see how Carey incorporates the young Dickens into the book, also.

Thanks so much for your post...and for the enlightening information!

~Titania :)

Galatea92

Reader
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
My rating: *****+++

My advice: If you haven't yet done so, read this book. Immediately. For the record, this is the third time I have read the book,
and I would list it among my top 5 favorites.

~Titania

Thanks for the review, Titania. It makes me realise what an odd and complex story it is (and what beautiful, witty writing).

Oddly, I've never read anything by Dickens. It must have been all those sugary versions of David Copperfield, Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol when I was a child, but I've always been put off. I must admit, though, the more snippets of his prose I read, and the more top class adaptations I see, the more tempted I am.

I think I might put Great Expectations on my reading list (or Hard Times, Bleak House, or Little Dorrit, or maybe all four :)).

A marvellous review Titania7, very good indeed, and lots that I recognise but hadn't myself picked up from the book.

I have to admit, I loved the sections dealing with Pip's childhood, his adulthood less so, but Dickens has always been for me a curate's egg of a writer with parts I adore and parts I (I am so tempted to write deplore here, just for the rhyme) enjoy less.

Hard Times similarly, I adore the sections on education, Gradgrind and the rest, and some of the social politics is very affecting, but at other times it lapses into sentiment and loses me when it does.

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed this review and it caused me to reassess the work, which is no bad thing at all.

You see, Titania, this is a review. By comparison, I scribble with my Crayolas and try to stay inside the lines as best I can (which is hardly ever). Very well done.

And Miss Havisham has always been a character of great tragedy to me. She could no more help who she loved than Pip could. We all plunge ourselves into the thorns hoping to find a rose. How she dealt with it, on the other hand...

You see, Titania, this is a review. By comparison, I scribble with my Crayolas and try to stay inside the lines as best I can (which is hardly ever). Very well done.

And Miss Havisham has always been a character of great tragedy to me. She could no more help who she loved than Pip could. We all plunge ourselves into the thorns hoping to find a rose. How she dealt with it, on the other hand...

I tried commenting on your blog earlier today, but bizarrely couldn't find a button for new comments (though there were comments there, so there must be one).

Anyway, on the subject of reviews, I adored yours of Tristram Shandy and if I can ever work out how to comment on your blog I shall say so there also.

Boki

Reader
Your a lioness titania, outstanding review!

you know that you have already mesmerised me with your words previously, and this book is on my reading stack.

Thanks again.

titania7

Reader
Isis said:
Titania,
Thanks so much for your fabulous review of Charles Dickens' Great Expectations.

I appreciate the compliment, Isis. You're new around here, aren't you? :)
It seems as if it might be time for you to introduce yourself.

Isis said:
I re-read it about a year and a half ago and was blown away yet again by what a wonderful writer Dickens is and what a phenomenal tale the story encompasses.

Great Expectations is a novel that a person can read again and again...and still enjoy as much, if not more, than the first time.

Isis said:
There are both fairy-tale elements with the descriptions of the larger-than-life, withered Miss Havisham and her rotting twenty-year-old wedding gown and rotten cake covered with spiders and cobwebs and Pip's mysterious benefactor who grants Pip's heart's desire to be a gentleman so that he'll be good enough for Estella.

I agree about the fairy-tale elements. I'm pleased you brought up this aspect of the story, Isis.

Isis said:
And what a long-suffering love Pip has for Estella in spite of her heartlessness!

Indeed. Estella is the fairy-tale princess that Pip fails to capture, in spite of his unquenchable devotion to her.

Isis said:
I loved that description of Pip's feelings for her that you quoted. It was one of the passages I love most in the entire book.

I'm glad I chose to quote that particular passage, then. It remains close to my heart.

Isis said:
Just as it is for you, Great Expectations remains one of my all-time favorite books.

I cannot imagine anyone not loving this book. I'm pleased to have discovered another Dickens buff who lists this among her favorites.

Many thanks for your wonderful comments, Isis. They are much appreciated!

~Titania

titania7

Reader
Galatea92 said:
Thanks for the review, Titania. It makes me realise what an odd and complex story it is (and what beautiful, witty writing).

Galatea,
I'm delighted you enjoyed my review! I think what's so marvelous about Great Expectations is that it offers a little something for everyone. Like so many of Dickens' novels, Great Expectations deals with the day-to-day struggles of people just like you and me. Disappointment in love, for example, is a common theme that appeals to most of us. Then, of course, there is intrigue, mystery, deception and a host of other elements in such books as this and Bleak House that make them absolutely mesmerizing novels!

Galatea said:
Oddly, I've never read anything by Dickens. It must have been all those sugary versions of David Copperfield, Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol when I was a child, but I've always been put off. I must admit, though, the more snippets of his prose I read, and the more top class adaptations I see, the more tempted I am.

I think Dickens' immense popularity has both helped and hurt him. Because of the "sugary versions" of his books that you mention, Galatea, some people have developed a misconception about what he is like as an author. They expect a lot of sentimental claptrap and boring, tedious passages about characters they can't relate to. But what is so very appealing about Dickens is actually his timelessness. Although the most recent film adaptations of his books are excellent, there is still nothing quite like reading the books themselves. I continue to be amazed at his wit, his humor, and his understanding of life. I encourage you to read one of his books as soon as you can! You won't be regretful.

Galatea said:
I think I might put Great Expectations on my reading list

Oh, please do!

Galatea said:
(or Hard Times, Bleak House, or Little Dorrit, or maybe all four :)).

One of the advantages that Great Expectations has over some of Dickens' other novels, is that, at less than 500 pages, it isn't inordinately lengthy. Personally, I would recommend starting with either Great Expectations or A Tale of Two Cities because these books will familiarize you with Dickens' style, without overwhelming you. Of course, I don't think you can go wrong with ANY of Dickens' novels. He's a consummate storyteller, and, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he didn't will rapidly become one of your favorites, Galatea.

Thanks so very much for your comments! I'm so pleased that you found this forum, Galatea. You're proving yourself to be a splendid contributor!

~Titania

titania7

Reader
Max Cairnduff said:
A marvellous review Titania7, very good indeed, and lots that I recognise but hadn't myself picked up from the book.

Max,
Thanks so very, very much for the complimentary words. Believe me, they are quite appreciated. If I have brought to light certain elements of Great Expectations that you didn't notice when you read it, then I am delighted.
Perhaps you will re-read it soon!

Max said:
I have to admit, I loved the sections dealing with Pip's childhood, his adulthood less so, but Dickens has always been for me a curate's egg of a writer with parts I adore and parts I (I am so tempted to write deplore here, just for the rhyme) enjoy less.

Well, I appreciate your honesty regarding Dickens, Max. Naturally, with any writer, there are some parts of his/her books that appeal more to us than others. I agree that the parts of Great Expectations dealing with Pip's childhood would be particularly engaging.

Max said:
Hard Times similarly, I adore the sections on education, Gradgrind and the rest, and some of the social politics is very affecting, but at other times it lapses into sentiment and loses me when it does.

I haven't yet read Hard Times, though I am looking forward to it immensely! I fully intend to read all of Dickens' works.

Max said:
Still, I thoroughly enjoyed this review and it caused me to reassess the work, which is no bad thing at all.

Not at all, Max! If I can bring about the desire in a reader to reevaluate the book I've reviewed, then I've accomplished a great deal.

If you do re-read Great Expectations, I'll be eager to hear what you have to say about it, Max.

Thanks so much again!!

~Titania

titania7

Reader
Irene Wilde said:

Irene Wilde, you modest lass you! ;) I appreciate the compliments about my review, but you do yourself a disservice with your denigrating self-assessment.

Irene Wilde said:

I love this sentence: "We all plunge ourselves into the thorns hoping to find a rose."

Very aptly spoken, Ms. Wilde. I suspect that many of us are attracted to the deceptive fragrance of the rose...not knowing that it can oft-times be as deadly a blossom as some of those flowers in Rappuccini's Garden.

Thanks once again for your generous words.

~Titania

Last edited:

titania7

Reader
Boki said:
Your a lioness titania, outstanding review!

Wow, what a compliment!!! Thanks, luv ;).

Boki said:
you know that you have already mesmerised me with your words previously, and this book is on my reading stack.

Boki, I simply can't wait to hear what you think of Great Expectations. I feel confident you will love it!

Boki said:
Thanks again.

My pleasure, luv.

~Titania

Galatea92

Reader
Having now read Great Expectations (based on your recommendation here), I concur with your judgement. Five stars with pluses :).

Some of the things that really impress me are:

1. The vividness and exuberance of the writing. This is particularly noticeable when he includes scenes that aren't really necessary for the plot, like the rubbish-Hamlet chapter. The descriptions of the crowd tormenting Mr Wopsle were so funny, I kept reading them out to my wife (to her annoyance, obviously);

2. Pip's searing honesty about his own motives. He's more like a twentieth century anti-hero than your typical Victorian hero;

3. Wimmick. Where did he get that character from? And how does he get away with making him so ridiculous and so admirable at the same time?

4. The sympathy with which he makes you understand the kind of life Magwitch has had. I understood why it was so important for Magwitch to make Pip a gentleman - something I never really believed in the David Lean film.

I can't wait for my next Dicken's novel.

titania7

Reader
Galatea92 said:
Having now read Great Expectations (based on your recommendation here), I concur with your judgement. Five stars with pluses :).

Galatea,
I am delighted that you enjoyed the book so much! Isn't Dickens magnificent?? There aren't many novels that I could read at least once each year, but Great Expectations is certainly one of them.

Galatea92 said:
Some of the things that really impress me are:

1. The vividness and exuberance of the writing. This is particularly noticeable when he includes scenes that aren't really necessary for the plot, like the rubbish-Hamlet chapter.

I absolutely loved that chapter! I'm glad you brought it up, Galatea.

Galatea said:
The descriptions of the crowd tormenting Mr Wopsle were so funny, I kept reading them out to my wife (to her annoyance, obviously);

I enjoyed them thoroughly.

Galatea said:
2. Pip's searing honesty about his own motives. He's more like a twentieth century anti-hero than your typical Victorian hero;

Yes, I agree. Pip is certainly not the garden variety Victorian hero. His candor is something that, in my opinion, makes him so appealing. We can all relate to someone who is willing to confess their faults. It's those people who try to convince us that they're role models of virtue or goodness that are so difficult to relate to. Don't you agree?

Galatea said:
Wimmick. Where did he get that character from? And how does he get away with making him so ridiculous and so admirable at the same time?

I found myself wondering the same thing, Galatea.

Galatea said:
The sympathy with which he makes you understand the kind of life Magwitch has had. I understood why it was so important for Magwitch to make Pip a gentleman - something I never really believed in the David Lean film.

I haven't seen the David Lean film, unfortunately. However, Dickens was certainly adept at conveying Magwitch's reasons for making Pip into a gentleman in the book.

Galatea said:
I can't wait for my next Dicken's novel.

I can't, either. I'm thinking of choosing The Pickwick Papers, based on Lionel's recommendation. I bought a copy of it a little over a month ago, and I have it sitting on my desk, waiting to be read.

I'll look forward to finding out which Dickens novel you choose and to hearing your thoughts on it, Galatea. I hope you'll enjoy it every bit as much as Great Expectations. Although I'm in no way attempting to sway you (I've been accused of that sort of thing before, which is why I'm
clarifying ;)), I highly recommend Bleak House.

~Titania

Galatea92

Reader
I absolutely loved that chapter [the rubbish-Hamlet chapter]! I'm glad you brought it up, Galatea.

Was that professional interest?

It's those people who try to convince us that they're role models of virtue or goodness that are so difficult to relate to. Don't you agree?

I don't know. I quite like hypocrisy. I'm a bit wary of people who're always telling you how bad they are :).

I'll look forward to finding out which Dickens novel you choose and to hearing your thoughts on it, Galatea. I hope you'll enjoy it every bit as much as Great Expectations. Although I'm in no way attempting to sway you (I've been accused of that sort of thing before, which is why I'm
clarifying ;)), I highly recommend Bleak House.

I'm sure I will read Bleak House at some point ;), but the next book is more likely to be:

Tale of Two Cities (because I always loved the film - with Dirk Bogarde as Sidney Carton) OR

Oliver Twist (the story is so familiar, I'd like to see what the original is like) OR

Hard Times (because it's set close to where I was brought up)

miercuri

Reader
Titania, what a great review!
Great Expectations is a book so dear to me and certainly one of my all-time favourites. I had a cheap paperback translation which I kept reading and re-reading all throughout the fifth grade, again and again, until the book was completely torn. Before that I had been reading mostly children's literature like The Wind in the Willows, Narnia and Mary Poppins and it was probably this book which has brought about my literary awarenes. I have re-read it many times since.