Chinua Achebe

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Chinua Achebe, born on November 16, 1930, is a Nigerian novelist, poet and critic. He is best known for his first novel, Things Fall Apart (1958), which is the most widely-read book in modern African literature.

Raised by Christian parents in the Igbo village of Ogidi in south Nigeria, Achebe excelled at school and won a scholarship for undergraduate studies. He became fascinated with world religions and traditional African cultures, and began writing stories as a university student. After graduation, he worked for the Nigerian Broadcasting Service and soon moved to the metropolis of Lagos. He gained worldwide attention for Things Fall Apart in the late 1950s; his later novels include No Longer at Ease (1960), Arrow of God (1964), A Man of the People (1966), and Anthills of the Savannah (1987). Achebe wrote his novels in English and has defended the use of English, a language of colonizers, in African literature. In 1975, his lecture An Image of Africa: Racism in Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" became the focus of controversy, for its criticism of Joseph Conrad as "a thoroughgoing racist".

When the region of Biafra broke away from Nigeria in 1967, Achebe became a devoted supporter of Biafran independence and served as ambassador for the people of the new nation. The war ravaged the populace, and as starvation and violence took its toll, he appealed to the people of Europe and the Americas for aid. When the Nigerian government retook the region in 1970, he involved himself in political parties but soon resigned due to frustration over the corruption and elitism he witnessed. He lived in the United States for several years in the 1970s, and returned in 1990 after a car accident left him partially disabled.

Achebe's novels focus on the traditions of Igbo society, the effect of Christian influences, and the clash of values during and after the colonial era. His style relies heavily on the Igbo oral tradition, and combines straightforward narration with representations of folk stories, proverbs, and oratory. He has also published a number of short stories, children's books, and essay collections.

In 2007 he was named as the second recipient of the Man Booker International Prize.

RELATED THREADS

BIBLIOGRAPHY (novels only)
  • Things Fall Apart (1958)
  • No Longer At Ease (1960)
  • Arrow Of God (1964)
  • A Man Of The People (1966)
  • Anthills Of The Savannah (1987)
(All text in this post is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.)

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I read Things Fall Apart a few years back and was aware of a couple of other titles (Arrow Of God and Anthills Of The Savannah) but I'm quite surprised to see how little fiction he has actually published in the last fifty years. Apparently he is due to due a title in the Canongate Myths series, but I don't think it's been confirmed.

But five novels in fifty years! I'm shocked. I've always thought that writers write simply because they have to. Obviously not.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
This just in: NYer's Ruth Franklin on Chinua Achebe and the great African novel: After Empire
Thanks for this. It reminds me that I don't visit the New Yorker as much as I'd like to. Usually I pop by and scour the latest fiction posted up.

The Complete Review links to the article today, adding:
It's nice to see all this attention on the fiftieth anniversary of Things Fall Apart, but it would be great to see a bit more discussion of more recent African fiction, too.
It's been a couple of years since I read Things Fall Apart and I don't quite think I got it at the time, so a revisit is certainly warranted. And what better time than the fiftieth anniversary? But I can't help agree that it would be nice to see more out there about contemporary African fiction. All interest seems to focus, as far as I can see, on the North African scene, probably because of the rise of interest in Arabic literature. But, header further south, I think I'd struggle to name many contemporary African writers, which is a shame as I'd like to read them.

mimi

Reader
Chinua Achebe moves to Brown University

September 15, 2009 | Contact: Mark Nickel | (401) 863-1638 | Print
http://news.brown.edu/files/article_images/Achebe2.jpg Chinua Achebe The David and Marianna Fisher University Professor
Professor of Africana Studies Credit: Justin Ide/Harvard News Office

Famed African Writer Chinua Achebe Joins the Brown Faculty

PROVIDENCE, R.I. [Brown University] ? Brown University announced today (Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2009) that internationally acclaimed Nigerian novelist Chinua Achebe has joined the Brown University faculty. Achebe comes to Brown after 19 years on the faculty of Bard College, where he was the Charles P. Stevenson Professor of Languages and Literature.
Named the David and Marianna Fisher University Professor and professor of Africana studies at Brown, Achebe is best known for his novels and essays which critique postcolonial Nigerian politics and society as well as the impact of the West on Africa.

Born in Ogidi, an Igbo village in Nigeria, Achebe studied at University College (now the University of Ibadan). His first novel, Things Fall Apart, is the most widely read work of African fiction, having sold more than 12 million copies in English alone. It has been translated into 50 languages. His other prominent works include No Longer at Ease, Arrow of God, A Man of the People, and Anthills of the Savannah.

For many decades, Achebe has worked to build greater understanding of Africa through his uncompromising political commentary, social critique, and creative writing. Acknowledged godfather to many African writers, he served for a time as editor of the African Writers Series for Heinemann Publishing. He is the author of numerous collections of short stories, poetry and essays. One of his essays, ?An Image of Africa: Racism in Conrad?s Heart of Darkness,? aroused considerable debate and had a marked impact on Conrad criticism. A devoted student of Igbo culture, his latest work on Igbo culture and theology is scheduled to be published in October 2009 by the University of Notre Dame Press. Also in October, Achebe book of autobiographical essays: The education of a British protected child, will be available through Knopf publishers.

Achebe is the recipient of numerous honors. He was awarded the Man Booker International Prize for outstanding fiction in 2007. Among his more than 40 honorary degrees is an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters from Brown, where he will serve in the Department of Africana Studies and oversee the Chinua Achebe Colloquium on Africa, a new initiative to be developed by Achebe in keeping with his life?s work to foster greater knowledge of Africa.

Tricia Rose, chair of the Department of Africana Studies, said, ?We are honored and thrilled to welcome Professor Achebe to Africana studies and to the Brown community. He is a towering figure in African literature and postcolonial thought. We will benefit enormously from his ongoing insights into the necessity and complexity of global, cross-racial translations and exchanges.?

Bard College, with a distinguished history of supporting Achebe?s work and legacy, will continue to provide a home to Achebe projects which the writer will continue to guide. ?My history and ongoing relationship with Bard is very important to me,? Achebe said. ?I want to preserve and enhance the excellent and gratifying work that we have begun and will maintain at Bard. President Botstein and my many colleagues at Bard have my enduring gratitude for their vision and commitment to my life?s work.?
?Brown is delighted to be invited to contribute to what President Leon Botstein has so brilliantly accomplished,? Brown President Ruth J. Simmons said.

The start-up phase of the Brown Achebe Colloquium is expected to last throughout the fall semester, with Achebe launching the colloquium with a major lecture this fall.

Achebe is married to Christy Achebe, a visiting professor at Bard. They have four children.

mimi

Reader
Re: Chinua Achebe moves to Brown University

Excellent interview on Brown's website with Tricia Rose, John Edgar Wideman, George Lamming, Ama Ata Aidoo on Achebe move to Brown
Enjoy!

Liam

Administrator

Recent Q&A with the author. Scroll down for a picture of the artist as a young man--adorable!!! :)

In fact, why don't I just give it to you here:

Young-Achebe.jpg

Achebe in 1960

I encountered Achebe through my university studies, and have come to appreciate the novels. I have not encountered his other writing, though.

Daniel del Real

Just read "No Longer at Ease" and I was very impressed. I have enjoyed it tremendously. Great book. One of the best books I ever read from a sub-saharian writer - and the best from a sub-saharian black writer. To be frank, only Coetzee I have enjoyed more.

I have Things Fall Apart unread at home. It's his most famous novel. Have you read it?

About a month ago I finished reading Things Fall Apart. It was the last fiction book I finished, and I loved it. It's an incredibly compassionate and wise book. Anybody else here read it? I'd love to get into a bit of a discussion about it - especially that final paragraph. It has a wonderful structure though, one that really dignifies without mythologizing the idea of Sub-Saharan Africa prior to the arrival of Europeans. And it is simply beautiful. At one point I really wanted to hug one of the characters.

I'm definitely going to read more of his novels (only four others to read as far as I can tell) and I'm definitely going to get into his nonfiction as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he became one of my favourite writers from the continent.

Daniel del Real

I read it a couple years ago and loved it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to continue with the strangely called "African Trilogy" (It's not like the rest of his work is based on Europe or America).

Americanreader

Just finished reading all 5 of Achebe’s novels, and wow, they were amazing. If you just know Achebe from Things Fall Apart, go read his other novels, you’re in for a real treat! My personal favorite was No longer at Ease, but all were great!

Daniel del Real

Just finished reading all 5 of Achebe’s novels, and wow, they were amazing. If you just know Achebe from Things Fall Apart, go read his other novels, you’re in for a real treat! My personal favorite was No longer at Ease, but all were great!
I read Things Fall Apart some time ago. If I decide to continue, at least with the trilogy, should I re-read it or in your opinion it's not that important to have it fresh in my mind?

Americanreader

Thematically its similar, and it has some characters that make a reappearance later in the trilogy, so I'd say probably reread it. I will say that of the trilogy, Things Fall Apart is definitely the weakest in my opinion. Not that's not a great book and very important. For most other writers it would be their masterwork. If you've already read it, I would at least skim it.

tiganeasca

For what it may be worth, I recently reported elsewhere on No Longer At Ease. I was sad to report as follows: "Enjoyed it less than I expected. I very much enjoyed Things Fall Apart but this one, not so much. Will have to read more, as usual, to see what I think. Surprised to be disappointed." I gave it three stars. Guess you'll have to read it, Daniel, and report back to share your thoughts.

Ben Jackson

As someone that has read almost all of his books except Anthills of the Savannah and Trouble with my Country, let me rank the books:

Arrow of God
Things Fall Apart
There was a Country
No Longer at Ease
Hopes and Impediments
Collected Poems
Home and Exile
A Man of the People
Education of British Protected Child

When people talk about him winning the Nobel Prize, to me I don't get it. One he didn't write enough, secondly the few he wrote weren't as grand as expected. The first three books I listed were superb, maybe I might add the fourth, but the rest were just good and enjoyable, not great. He writes in a very vibrant and beautiful language, but for Nobel standards? I don't think so.