Flannery O'Connor

titania7

Reader
Few writers have had the impact on my life that Flannery O'Connor has had. There are a few definitive reasons for this. First, she was from Georgia, and her writing depicts mindsets and customs that are still prevalent in the Southern part of the United States today, some 45 years since her death.

But perhaps the most relevant similarity between her life and mine is that I, too, live with the chronic illness that eventually claimed her life. This illness, lupus, or systemic lupus erythematosus, had a direct bearing on both O'Connor's life and her fiction. And it has a day-to-day impact on my life, as well. For those who have any questions about this illness, I would suggest looking up the Lupus Organization online. I will not directly link to it here, since I have no desire to focus too intensively on medical issues. This is, after all, a literary forum--and I suspect that Flannery O'Connor would want to be remembered for her fiction, not her battle with lupus.

She was born Mary Flannery O'Connor, the only child of Regina and Edward O'Connor, on March 25, 1925, in Savannah, Georgia. Edward died of lupus when O'Connor was just thirteen, and three years prior to that the family moved from Savannah to Milledgeville, Georgia, so that they could be closer to Regina O'Connor's relatives. Flannery, a precocious child, had a strict Roman Catholic upbringing. In 1945, she graduated from Georgia State College For Women with a degree in sociology. In 1947, she earned an M.F.A. degree in creative writing from the University of Iowa. Her thesis featured a collection of short stories which she worked to expand into a full-length novel after winning a literary prize in 1948, an accomplishment which brought her to Saratoga Springs, New York.

It wasn't until 1950 that she was diagnosed with lupus. Her first attack was severe enough so necessitate her moving back to Milledgeville from Connecticut, and she resided in Georgia for the remaning 14 years of her life. This first bout with lupus, which was treated with massive doses of cortisone (steroids), made it mandatory for O'Connor to lead the final years of her life walking on crutches (hence the many photos of her available on-line and in books that depict her using crutches).

Although she is one of the Southern United States' most widely recognized and praised writers, Flannery O'Connor only
wrote two short novels--Wise Blood (1952) and Everything that Rises Must Converge (1960), in addition to one volume of short stories, A Good Man is Hard to Find (1955). In her collected correspondence, she speaks about how the fatigue brought about by lupus made it impossible for her to write more than two or three hours a day. This situation, of course, fully explains why she didn't write more, though it does not take away from her genius or creative brilliance in any way. It isn't easy to describe much of her fiction, and labels such as "Southern Gothic" tend to shortchange her work, in my opinion, since they only focus on one aspect of it. A lot of her stories focus on the hypocritical side of religion. Wise Blood, probably her most famous work, centers around a man who believes he is destined to become an evangelical preacher. The novel was made into a film by the great director, John Huston, in 1979.

O'Connor's wit and sharp-edged vision have influenced a generation of writers since her time. In fact, her work has attracted more critical attention than any other 20th century American woman writer. What is it about this lady's writing that makes scholars and readers alike keep returning to it again and again? It could be that irony with which she shows day-to-day situations in the lives of seemingly ordinary people. And when I use the word "ordinary", it is in the broadest sense. O'Connor's stories are full of dysfunctional characters--hypocrites, domineering women, ungrateful children, and other maladjusted people. But is not society full of people like this? I think what she succeeds in demonstrating is that the most pernicious type of evil is that which has nothing to do with supernatural forces or pacts with Satan. It is the type of evil that comes from the malignancy of the human spirit. To use O'Connor's own words, her desire was to reflect "the broken condition of mankind and the devil by which we are possessed."

Flannery O'Connor's own literary influences were vast and varied. She was a voracious reader. It was not uncommon for her to have dozens of books shipped to her at one time. Among her favorite writers were Honore de Balzac, Henry James, and Fyodor Dostoevsky. She was also a fan of J. D. Salinger, whose book The Catcher in the Rye she devoured in a matter of hours. She had a somewhat sardonic view of life, was incredibly self-effacing, and rarely--if ever--minced words. Her courage was astounding, and her writing is truly a testament to the triumph of the will and the human spirit over physical fragility.

There is so much more I could say about Flannery O'Connor. I began this thread spontaneously, however, and I haven't any extensive notes to help me along. My decision to honor O'Connor with a thread was provoked by an e-mail that came in my inbox this morning from the New York Times about a new biography on Flannery O'Connor by Brad Gooch.

It is my hope that Flannery O'Connor's s work will continue to be read, loved, and analyzed. She may have only lived for 39 years, but she left us with a literary legacy that may be lacking in bulk but is truly extraordinary in content.

To understand her best, I would recommend her collection of letters, The Habit of Being (1979). But it is unnecessary to learn more about the woman merely to appreciate her work. So, if fiction is what interests you most, plunge into her short stories or one of her novels. You will never look at life or the Southern United States in quite the same way again.

In closing, I want to share some words that the poet, Elizabeth Bishop, had to say about O'Connor:​

I am sure her books will live on and on in American literature. They are narrow, possibly, but they are clear, hard,
vivid, and full of bits of description, phrases, and an odd insight that contains more real poetry than a dozen books
of poems.​

Flannery O'Connor, we miss you.​

~Titania​

Last edited:

lionel

Reader
[Flannery O'Connor] depicts mindsets and customs that are still prevalent in the Southern part of the United States today, some 45 years since her death.

Yes indeed. Flannery O'Connor reacted against the construct of the Southern lady, for instance, which is not easily definable. Claire Buck's Bloomsbury Guide to Women's Literature gives this definition:

'The Southern lady was created in North American literature to perpetuate the supremacy of the white race, elevated onto a pedestal to ensure the purity of white bloodlines. The taboo against miscegenation rendered her inaccesssible to black men. Violence against black men became justified as a way to defend Southern womanhood. The Southern lady thus became identified with regional honour and was the repository for traditional Southern values, embodying the ideal of pefection and submission for women. To maintain her sanctity the lady was denied her sexuality, which was displaced onto black women. She became also an image of moral and spiritual power. A concern of Southern women writers now is how their characters struggle with this image of the lady to create their own identities.'

But perhaps the most relevant similarity between her life and mine is that I, too, live with the chronic illness that eventually claimed her life. This illness, lupus, or systemic lupus erythematosus, had a direct bearing on both O'Connor's life and her fiction. And it has a day-to-day impact on my life, as well.

O'Connor's stories are full of dysfunctional characters--hypocrites, domineering women, ungrateful children, and other maladjusted people. But is not society full of people like this?

Flannery O'Connor's own literary influences were vast and varied. She was a voracious reader. It was not uncommon for her to have dozens of books shipped to her at one time. Among her favorite writers were Honore de Balzac, Henry James, and Fyodor Dostoevsky. She was also a fan of J. D. Salinger, whose book The Catcher in the Rye she devoured in a matter of hours. She had a somewhat sardonic view of life, was incredibly self-effacing, and rarely--if ever--minced words. Her courage was astounding, and her writing is truly a testament to the triumph of the will and the human spirit over physical fragility.

Wonderful heartfelt stuff, Titania, my love! Flannery O'Connor does indeed deserve to be recoginised far more than she is at present. Just one question, which I've asked before in a way, but am still unsure of the answer: am I right in thinking that you see O'Connor as in some ways more important than fellow Georgian Carson McCulllers?

This thread was needed, but to begin it in such an honest fashion is a true achievement. Very, very well done, Titania.

Last edited:

Beth

Reader
Although she is one of the Southern United States' most widely recognized and praised writers,

A lovely post, titania. I'd maybe only strikethrough one word in the whole thing, and that'd be Southern in the sentence above. Flannery's big time nation and world wide, don't you think? :)

e joseph

Reader
Favorite work(s)?
The first chapter of The Violent Bear It Away is one of my favorite reads ever. As an introduction to a novel, or as a standalone short story.

Fascinating.

Would you suggest Wise Blood as a good place to start? I've not read any O'Connor, I'm wholly unfamiliar with her work.

Mirabell

Former Member
The stories, I'd say. They have blown me away at the time. I admit, I was underwhelmed by The Violent Bear It Away. I much, much prefer the stories.

e joseph

Reader
I agree, start with the short stories. Of the collections, I've only read A Good Man Is Hard To Find, so I'll recommend that as a starting point.

liehtzu

Reader
Being a Savannah, Georgia boy myself I am also an admirer of Ms. O'Connor. I was once a tour guide in the city - driving the horse and carriage tour - and I can still probably give the damned tour in my sleep seven years on ("The city of Savannah was founded in 1733 by General James Edward Oglethorpe and a colony of 113 English settlers..."). One thing we passed by on the tour that I did not mention, though my steed trotted proudly by it thrice daily, was the birthplace of Flannery O'Connor. Why? Not the ignorance of our great tourist guide, I assure you - simply that he assumed, quite correctly, that amongst the traffic of giddy camera-carriers searching for the origins of the New York Times bestseller Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (a mediocre book later filmed as a mediocre movie by Clint Eastwood) or that ever-elusive Forrest Gump bench (alas, our fine Academy Award-winning nitwit was not perched atop a real bench but a studio prop! that now calmly resides in the Savannah history museum) there was not one who had ever heard of the writer. Not once did my creaking wagon glide past the clearly-marked sign indicating The Birthplace of Flannery O'Connor and someone squeal in delight: "Why, I had no idea! The great author of that marvelously nasty short story 'A Good Man is Hard to Find' was born right here! I can't believe it, what a discovery! Listen, Harold, if you haven't read the one where the travelling Bible salesman runs off into the night with that poor girl's wooden leg, you're missing out..."

So I drove past it and didn't mention it and no one else did, either.

The anonymous reviewer on the back cover of my cheap trade paperback 3 By Flannery O'Connor describes in his bit of ink her stories as being "highly unladylike" and "as balefully direct as a death sentence," which hits the nail on the head rather well.

For those who have not read any Flannery, I suggest starting with the story collection A Good Man is Hard to Find. The title story is her best-known and most anthologized for a reason.

It seems A Good Man is Hard to Find comes with the most recommendations, so that will likely be my starting point with O'Connor. Thanks all.

titania7

Reader
Max,
"A Good Man is Hard to Find" is a marvelous place to begin. I wouldn't say it's my favorite story of Flannery's, though it is certainly one of her most impressive. It will give you a clear idea of her power as a storyteller. My favorite of all her works is probably Wise Blood. Why? It probably has something to do with the way she depicts the characters of Enoch Emery and Hazel Motes, though it's never easy for me to come up with one definitive reason why a certain book or story is my favorite. In any case, I hope you will like "A Good Man is Hard to Find." If you don't, though, please don't give up on Flannery. Give her another try, Max. She is a bit of an acquired taste for some, but once you understand her vision and her style, she might well become one of your favorites.

Best, as always,
Titania

PS I am in agreement with Mirabell about The Violent Bear it Away. It was very disappointing.

e joseph

Reader
As for The Violent Bear it Away, it feels to me like a novel that should have never been. The first chapter (and again, I confess I really enjoyed the first chapter) feels like a complete short story. The rest of the story feels forced, as if O'Connor tried to push the characters and setting further than she ever intended or wanted them to go. Anyone else, or am I just over-justifying what I and no one else appreciated?

Mirabell

Former Member
O'Connor's zeal, sanctimony and intolerance are sometimes suffocating. When Betty Hester, a pen pal who was joining the church under the writer's guidance, admitted to being kicked out of the Army for a lesbian affair, O'Connor responded in classic "love the sinner, hate the sin" fashion. Worse, she actively goaded another friend, deeply committed to the civil rights movement, with racist jokes. Not only did O'Connor tell the jokes, she apparently relished them, saving them up and spinning them out in a series of letters that have never been published. That she was (at times grudgingly) in favor of equality herself doesn't lessen the blow of this disclosure.

http://jezebel.com/5192628/judging-flannery-can-you-love-the-work-and-not-the-author

lionel

Reader
A number of photos I took, plus text I added, of Flannery O'Connor's Savannah, and Andalusia farm and house, Milledgeville, where she spent the last part of her life: here and here.

Last edited: