Guy de Maupassant

titania7

Reader
Although best-known for his short stories, Guy de Maupassant was a prolific writer of both short fiction and novels of the French naturalist school. Born Henry-Rene-Albert Guy de Maupassant on August 5, 1850, in Chateau de Miromesnil*, near Dieppe, France, Maupassant's mother, Laure, was from the cultivated Norman bourgeoisie, and his father, Gustave, though having private wealth, was, after financial hardships, forced to take work as a bank cashier in 1859. Maupassant's parents separated when he was eleven years of age, and he was raised by his mother. At age 19, Maupassant began studying law in Paris, although his studies were cut short by the outbreak of the Franco-Prussian war. At age 20, Maupassant volunteered to serve in the army, and much of his experience during this time inspired several of his finest stories. The famous French novelist, Gustave Flaubert, was a close friend of Maupassant's uncle, Alfred de Poittevin. And, when Maupassant returned to Paris in 1871, he was introduced into Flaubert's literary circle, which included such luminaries as Emile Zola, Ivan Turgenev, Edmund de Goncourt, and Henry James. Maupassant wrote poetry, including some erotic poems and published short stories under a pseudonym in various literary publications. In 1878, he also became a contributing editor for several newspapers, including Le Figaro, L'Echo de Paris, and Gil Blas.

It wasn't until April of 1880, however, that a turning point presented itself. Maupassant's story, Boul de Suif ("Ball of Fat") was included among six stories about the war in a volume entitled Les Soirees de Medan. This story, which centers around an honest prostitute's corruption on an interrupted train ride from Roeun to La Havre, was ostensibly the best of the six in the collection. Moreover, it is generally considered to be
Maupassant's unequalled masterpiece. Following the publication of this consummate piece of fiction, Maupassant devoted all his energies to professional writing. The proficiency of his output is astonishing. Within the next eleven years, Maupassant wrote 300 short stories, six novels, three travel books, a volume of verse, and a gallimaufry of miscellaneous writing. His first novel, Une Vie (A Woman's Life), which remains one of my personal favorites, tells the story of Jeanne de Lamare, a young, innocent, convent-educated woman who ends up in a marriage that leads her down a path of betrayal, grief, and utter disillusionment. It is a haunting book, and, at a mere 202 pages, remains a remarkable achievement. His other novels include Bel-Ami, Mont Oriel, and the renowned Pierre et Jean.

Maupassant's personal life was filled with adventure. Since his early years in Paris, he had a penchant for promiscuity. Although he appeared to be robust, his personal letters indicate that he suffered many health difficulties. While in his early 20s, he found out that he had contracted syphilis. In spite of continued womanizing, he fought the disease and traveled extensively. However, by 1889, he began having severe attacks of paranoia, and, on January 2, 1892, he attempted suicide by cutting his throat. Shortly after this, he was committed to an asylum, where he died on July 6, 1893. Maupassant was just one month shy of his 43rd birthday.

Guy de Maupassant will always be remembered as a master of the short story genre, whose precise, exquisite style has influenced such writers as Anton Chekhov, O. Henry (William Sydney Porter), and W. Somerset Maugham. His short story, "Le Horla" (1887), was made into the macabre 1963 film, "Diary of a Madman," starring the indomitable Vincent Price. Another story served as the basis for one of director Max Ophuls' most noteworthy masterpieces, the incandescent "Le Plasir."

For more on Maupassant, try the Wikipedia entry. There is an extensive bibliography at this site:
Guy de Maupassant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also:

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/maupassa.htm

More? But of course! ;) There's a short, but wonderfully concise, bio here:

Guy de Maupassant - Biography and Works

I would love to hear thoughts from those at the forum who have read and been impressed by Maupassant's luminous oeuvre of work!

Best,
Titania

"One sometimes weeps over one's illusions with
as much bitterness as over a death."
~Guy de Maupassant, Une Vie (A Woman's Life)

* also spelled (Chateau de) Miromesneil

Last edited:

titania7

Reader
Here is a link to Maupassant's magnificent story, "The Necklace."
Although I had read it a year or so ago, re-reading it reminded me once again of what a brilliant short story writer Maupassant is.

I'm cognizant of the fact that reading something online isn't the same as reading the printed page. However, this story is worth reading in any form.

20. The Necklace By Guy de Maupassant. Matthews, Brander. 1907. The Short-Story

~Titania

"How singular life is, how changeable!
What a little thing it takes to save
you or to lose you."
~Guy de Maupassant
{"The Necklace"}

lionel

Reader
It's good to see someone giving Maupassant the kind of service he deserves, Titania, and full marks for this.

It's a long time since I've read this man's works, but 'Boule de Suif', which you specifically mention, certainly stands out in my mind more than any other because of its sympathy for a particular section of the underclass, and also for Maupassant's hatred of the bourgeoisie.

It's just the title that rankles. I've not read Maupassant in English, and wouldn't like to, but there's an obvious problem with 'Boule de Suif''. 'Ball of Fat', you suggest. Yes, I can see that that works fine. Personally, I prefer 'Suet Dumpling', although I can see why some people have found the original untranslatable.

titania7

Reader
lionel said:
It's good to see someone giving Maupassant the kind of service he deserves, Titania, and full marks for this.

Many thanks for the compliments, Lionel. Actually, I've been intending to start a thread on Maupassant for a few weeks now.
And now, I've finally gotten to it! I wish there was a stupendous website dedicated to him online. Honestly, it wasn't easy finding out that much information on him--besides the basic things, of course.
However, I found myself discovering many details about his life that I hadn't been aware of before. It's interesting, I think, to look at the work of a writer of such renown and importance in light of the life he led. There was one site I visited that suggested that the failure of Maupassant's own parents' marriage might have been at least partially responsible for his womanizing behavior when he was older. I take it his views on marriage and lasting relationships were cynical, at best. Had Maupassant not died so young, I daresay we would have many more magnificent stories and a few more brilliant novels to enjoy. As it is, we do have tons of short fiction and a mere handful of novels. Yet the two I have read thus far (Bel-Ami and Une Vie) have impressed me deeply.

I cannot even fathom how exciting it would be to read Maupassant in French! When a writer expresses himself with such eloquence and beauty, one must cringe to think of what might be "lost in translation," as they say.

lionel said:
It's a long time since I've read this man's works, but 'Boule de Suif', which you specifically mention, certainly stands out in my mind more than any other because of its sympathy for a particular section of the underclass, and also for Maupassant's hatred of the bourgeoisie.

Believe it or not, I don't own a copy of this story, Lionel! I read it in a collection of Maupassant's complete stories that I check out of the library every few months or so. I'm still eagerly looking for an inexpensive book of all his short fiction. I frantically scan the tables at every book sale I go to!

lionel said:
It's just the title that rankles. I've not read Maupassant in English, and wouldn't like to, but there's an obvious problem with 'Boule de Suif''. 'Ball of Fat', you suggest. Yes, I can see that that works fine. Personally, I prefer 'Suet Dumpling', although I can see why some people have found the original untranslatable.

Oh, Lionel! You are quite something ;). I could just imagine the "translated" titles you would come up with! I do rather like "Suet Dumpling," by the way. There's something very, very catchy about that.

~Titania

"...Every heart imagines that it has been stirred in the
same way by those feelings which have made the
hearts of primitive man beat and will continue to
affect men and women till the end of time."
~Une Vie, Guy de Maupassant

spooooool

Reader

Indeed, well done Titania. I love and remember his work, "pierre and Jean" "a woman's life/kingdom"? there was a time when i adored his writing as i do Chekhov's, and i shall at some point soon reread him. Chekhov has even and variously been styled "the Russian Maupassant" which is a disservice to both, but at least makes some sense

titania7

Reader
spooooool said:

In this respect, spooooool, Maupassant is similar to Emile Zola, who was also one to empathize with the financially oppressed factions of society. I must look around and see if, per chance, I have my own copy of "Boule de Suif." I do have a book with a few, scattered Maupassant stories in it. But most of the time I simply turn to the library when I want to read his short fiction--which is at least every three months or so!

spooooool said:
Indeed, well done Titania.

I appreciate the compliments, spooooool! As I mentioned before, I was frustrated by the paucity of quality information available about Maupassant online. Moreover, in spite of owning a noteworthy collection of biographies on famous authors, I seem to be missing one on Maupassant. How on Earth did this happen?? I have remedied it as expediently as I know how by ordering two bios on him from the library.

spoooool said:
I love and remember his work, "pierre and Jean" "a woman's life/kingdom"? there was a time when i adored his writing as i do Chekhov's, and i shall at some point soon reread him. Chekhov has even and variously been styled "the Russian Maupassant" which is a disservice to both, but at least makes some sense

Spooooool, perhaps it is a bit of a disservice to Chekhov and Maupassant to compare them in this fashion. At the same time, their stylistic precision and exquisite eye for detail make them two of the finest short story writers in the history of literature. And it would not, I think, be unprecedented to discern a few similarities! ;)

Thanks again to both you, spooooool, and Lionel, for contributing your thoughts to this new thread. I'm just delighted to find that there are others here who appreciate my beloved Maupassant!

~Titania

Hemmo

Reader
I've just finished Bel Ami and thought it was great. At times the writing felt quite flat but its a brilliant story of ambition and one man's rise. The tone is very modern yet it's also a clear picture of late 19 th century France. It's episodic but each episode is great, particularly memorable is the return of the lead character to his humble beginnings as well as a duel. I've also read 'Une Vie' and some of the short stories but Bel Ami was a ling way ahead...

mvr moorthy

Maupassant and Chekov comparison is quite common and it is really hard to choose. I find the following stories by Maupassant incomparable : Clochette , False gems, Miss Harriet, and Yvette.

mvr moorthy

Maupassant's personal life was filled with adventure.

Yes. He was an athlete and was fond of rowing. As a young man he once saved the by then famous Victorian poet Swinburne from drowning.Just another reason for my love of the one and only Maupassant.