Hugo Claus: Desire

titania7

Reader
After two readings, Hugo Claus still fails to deliver the goods with his slim 1970s novel, Desire. Although the book possesses a certain brittle charm, and Claus tends to see life from an exquisitely ironic vantage point, the book left me feeling a deep sense of disillusionment. Wait, am I talking about me or about Claus' characters?

My full review of Desire is posted at my new blog:

A Divine Comedy

An excerpt from my review:
The theme of this book isn't instantly clear. It seems to simply be a story about two buddies taking a trip to Las Vegas, Nevada. . . .But on a second reading, at least part of what Claus is trying to convey becomes apparent. Desire is at the crux of the story, just as the title suggests. Jake and Michel desire an adventure, something beyond their day-to-day existence at the Unicorn (a Belgian watering-hole) and at their homes.

[. . .]

Like many of us who think a brand-new house or a spiffy sports car or another vacation will bring us that much-longed for happiness, a trip to Las Vegas is what Jake and Michel think will change their destinies. What they discover instead is how frustrating they find each other, and how empty and meaningless much of life really is. . .

Yet, in spite of the apparent depth of the story:
Personally, I don't think Claus' strong point is an insight into human nature. What could have made the novel more powerful would have been if Claus had given us two characters with whom we were able to sympathize more strongly. As it is, the reader is forced to delve too deeply into the text, trying to force meanings out of words and incidents that may or may not be there. It's impossible for me, even after two readings, to know whether this book offers more or less than it seems to.

I think a writer of Claus' obvious talent could have far surpassed this literary offering. But his prose is worth reading for its clarity and precision. In summary: Great writer, mediocre book. ***00+

~Titania

PS Many thanks to you, Stewart, for steering me towards
Word Press. I couldn't have done this without you. You are priceless.

Last edited: