"I quit!" -- Books I just can't finish

Leseratte

Books I didn't finish

Finnegans Wake James Joyce (started this book around 2017, gave up after eight pages)

Gravity's Rainbow Thomas Pynchon (began this around 2019, gave up after nine pages)

1Q84 Haruki Murakami (began the same year I started Gravity's Rainbow, gave up after eight pages. Hated the book)
I know only one person, who read the whole Ulisses and the whole Finnegans Wake.

Benny Profane

I've tried to read Ulysses twice but "as I'm brazilian and never give up", I will try again on May and June by Antônio Houaiss' edition.
I'd like to finnish it on Bloom's day! ?

MichaelHW

Once I bought a book for myself for Christmas. It was many years ago. There was a Norwegian nineteenth century politician that interested me, and I wanted to know more about his life. I found a used copy of a biography about him, written by a Norwegian professor I will not name (he is dead anyway. I never had anything to do with him. I just don't like naming and shaming.) This book is to date the worst factual book I have ever read. It followed no plan, jumped back and forth for no apparent reason, and the sentences were extremely long, and exhausting to read. I don't know who was to blame, the writer or the publisher?

In Norway, we have a fantastic comedic actor who died some years ago called Rolv Wesenlund. He started as a jazz musician, but then became an actor, playing in the Norwegian version of Hancock's Half Hour, Fleksnes, which was such a success that he became a household name in Scandinavia for the rest of his life. He was a very fine comedic actor, with a mischievous, but very warm gleam in his eye. He wrote an autobiography, and read his own audiobook. This was a horrific book. He would introduce thoughts about NATO in passages about other things, and he mumbled all through the recording. I could not listen to it. So a great acting legend does not have to be a great writer, or the best person to read his own text. His mumbling was charming on screen, but annoying in an audiobook.

Last edited:

redhead

Blahblahblah
Once I bought a book for myself for Christmas. It was many years ago. There was a Norwegian nineteenth century writer that interested me, and I wanted to know more about his life. I found a used copy of a biography about him, written by a Norwegian professor I will not name (he is dead anyway. I never had anything to do with him. I just don't like naming and shaming.) This book is to date the worst factual book I have ever read. It followed no plan, jumped back and forth for no apparent reason, and the sentences were extremely long, and exhausting to read. I don't know who was to blame, the writer or the publisher?

Now I’m curious what book that was, or at least which writer it was about

MichaelHW

Now I’m curious what book that was, or at least which writer it was about
(I can't say it without revealing the author. )

Edit: Who cares :) It was not one of those new biographies by Ingar Kollen or Hoem. These are great and award-winning books. It was a related subject, but the book was not favorably reviewed by anyone, nor did it receive a lot of attention. I am by no means alone in my assessment. I bought it because it was cheap, and appeared on a shelf in a book store.
I checked. I remember incorrectly. It was not about a writer, but a politician. I remember now. I was researching something at the time. It was Wyller's biography on Mikkelsen, a major politician at the start of the twentieth century. The book was written in the late seventies. Who cares? I did not like it :)
We can't all like everything we read. That is just the way it is. Some of my recollections may be inaccurate. It is not like I would go back and open the book again for any conceievable reason, but the distaste for the book has left a lasting imprint on my memory.

Last edited:

MichaelHW

I've tried to read Ulysses twice but "as I'm brazilian and never give up", I will try again on May and June by Antônio Houaiss' edition.
I'd like to finnish it on Bloom's day! ?
You don't understand the Irish. The book was probably written under the influence of absinthe, and must also be read under the influence of the same magic potion. Also, James Joyce is one those intellectuals that has left lasting imprint on literary history, not only through his pretentious stream of consciousness descriptions from his toilet, but also through his well-known fetish for farting, which fortunately has brought comic relief to some very tedious and dull biographies.

Abhi

Reading this and other threads, I realize I'm not the only one to say this but I am feeling really meh towards Buying a Fishing Rod for My Grandfather. I read the first three stories and they don't read like Nobel-worthy works at all. I will probably abandon this book. I wanted to pick a good short work as my first attempt at Gao Xingjian but this backfired and now the fishing rod is broken and it doesn't even matter because all the fish are dead in the pond, as is the grandfather. :p

Stevie B

Current Member
Three Men in a Boat is such a slender novel that one wouldn't think it would give me so much trouble. However, I just tried it for the third and final time. The humor simply doesn't work for me. Since it's a comic novel, that's problematic. Time to move on.