Knut Hamsun: Hunger

titania7

Reader
Hunger by Knut Hamsun
translated by Sverre Lyngstad

"Here I was walking around so hungry that my intestines were squirming inside me like snakes..."

This is just one of the passages in Hamsun's novel, Hunger, that forces the reader to empathize fully with a man who is literally starving to death. He represents the outcast, the forgotten longer, the famishing artist, in a world that is oblivious to his very existence.

"I felt I was myself a crawling insect doomed to perish, seized by destruction in the midst of a whole world ready to sleep."

Partly based on Hamsun's own poverty-stricken existence, the 200-page book is easy to read on an intellectual level but difficult to stomach psychologically. As someone who has experienced intense hunger, I found parts of the book almost unbearably painful. Indeed, there are parts that are so vividly imagined, it is as if we are watching a film. Because the book is written in the style of a moment-to-moment internal monologue, it's impossible not to feel that we're travelling with the protagonist down his path of bleak disintegration. "Rotten patches were beginning to appear in my inner being," he says at one point. "Black, spongy growths that were spreading more and more."

Hamsun intended for Hunger to be "an attempt to describe the strange, peculiar life of the mind, the mysteries of the nerves on a starving body." And in many respects, that's what it is. As the protagonist becomes more and more hungry, he begins to have delusions. When he encounters a woman outside a bookshop, he imagines that the buttons on her dress are staring at him "like a row of terrified eyes". Although fantasies of such a nature might lead the reader to imagine that the protagonist is going insane, when a person goes long enough without food, the mind can start playing all sort of nonsensical tricks on them. One of the most effective aspects of this book is how Hamsun enables the protagonist to reflect objectively on his state, viewing himself as through the eyes of someone else:

"Look, you are sorely troubled, fighting an awesome battle with the powers of darkness and with big, silent monsters at night, and you hunger and thirst for wine and milk and receive them not. That's the pass to which you've come."

Perhaps this distancing of himself from the tortuous existence he is leading is his only way to avoid madness. Sometimes we must numb our souls, cutting ourselves off from all feeling, in order to bear the pain that we are suffering, whether physical or emotional. Although there are plenty of moments of heightened sensitivity, in which the narrator sees objects and people with almost supernatural clarity, his attitude towards life and death reflect his estrangement from himself and his own mortality.

"When all is said and done, wasn't it a matter of indifference whether the inevitable happened one day earlier or one day later?"

Though most people rarely think of death resulting from not getting enough to eat, Hamsun examines the harrowing consequences of living without a basic necessity that so many of us take for granted. He does not opt for subtlety, but forces the reader to live through the protagonist's anguish as his hunger becomes more and more overpowering. Although it might be difficult to fathom what going days without food would do to a person, Hamsun makes use of relentless, almost grotesque realism to give readers a clear idea.

"There was a meticulous gnawing in my chest, a queer silent labor was going on there. I pictured a score of nice teeny-weeny animals that cocked their heads to one side and gnawed a bit, then cocked their heads to the other side and gnawed a bit, lay perfectly still for a moment, then began anew and bored their way in without a sound and without haste, leaving empty stretches behind them wherever they went."

If you have ever experienced a true, ravenous inner craving for food, these words will grip you with a force that is indescribable. The narrator becomes so frantic for food that he rips a pocket out of his coat and begins chewing it. When he encounters a meat stand, he concocts a story about a pet dog to procure a bone to gnaw on. Yet, in spite of his desperation, there is nothing he can find that will alleviate his hunger. Both his stomach and his mind are empty. He is utterly and perhaps permanently depleted. His ultimate destruction seems imminent:

"I had a feeling there wasn't much life left in me, that I was in fact nearing my journey's end. It mattered very little to me, one way or another, I didn't trouble my head with it in the least. Rather, I bent my steps downtown, toward the docks, father and father way from my room. For that matter, I could just as well have lain right down in the street to die."

If a less realistic author had written this book, it would not be the dark, oppressive book that it is. As it is, I found it to be a novel of torment that haunted my psyche for days afterward. Hamsun's prose may be seamless and splendid, but his realism is brutal. Never once does he allow you to imagine that the protagonist is doing anything but suffer. In many novels that start bleakly, we have reason to hope that the situation the character finds himself or herself in will improve. In this case, however, we are well aware of the fact that the protagonist will only disintegrate as he observes himself getting more and more emaciated. He asks at one point:

"What was the matter with my face? Had I really started dying? I pressed my hand along my cheeks: thin--of course I was thin, my cheeks were like two bowls with the bottoms in."

But does he care? Or, as I hinted before, has he already accepted his fate? Maybe rather than simple acceptance he has simply come to terms with the inevitable--and perhaps, in spite of its finality, death will at least bring an end to the gnawing hunger. There are only brief seconds of self-pity. For the most part, the protagonist observes even his mortality with a dry, detached eye:

"Good God, what an awful state I was in! I was so thoroughly sick and tired of my whole wretched life that I didn't find it worth my while to go on fighting in order to hang onto it. The hardships got the better of me, they had been too gross: I was so strangely ruined, nothing but a shadow of what I once was."

In a time when novels were structured along specific lines, with plots that were often stereotypical, Hunger must have been an anomaly. There is no plot in this book, and Hamsun never attempts to make us believe there is. In spite of the tragic circumstances the main character finds himself in, there is no sentimentality and no nostalgia. He doesn't recall past moments of his life when things were better nor does he dream of a bright, utopian-like future. He exists in the moment, in a universe that is cold and unfeeling.

Though lacking the incandescent beauty of Pan and the enigmatic aura of Mysteries, the stark realism of Hunger might well make it Hamsun's most gripping work. Its psychological implications have been analyzed extensively, and Hamsun's theories have compelled some critics to put him on a par with such influential thinkers as Sigmund Freud. Paul Auster, who has written an essay on Hunger entitled "The Art of Hunger", saw the book as symbolic of "an art that is the direct expression of the effort to express itself."

An anonymous fragment from Chapter Two of Hunger first appeared in the Copenhagen journal, Ny Jord (New Earth) in November 1888. The full text of the novel was not published until 1890, and the full English translation wasn't available until 1899.

My rating: *****

~Titania

"The whole modern school of fiction in the twentieth century stems from Hamsun. They are all Hamsun's disciples: Thomas Mann and Arthur Schnitzler....and even such American writers as Fitzgerald and Hemingway." ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

Last edited:

Mirabell

Former Member
I have been resisting Hamsun for quite a while, not quite sure why. This review has whetted my appetite for his work again. We get a small glimpse into why this novel has so affected you yet you pan out again quickly, I could not help but feel a pang of regret. The thing I like most about your contributions here is how you transmit your passion for literature. It is a grand sight seeing someone share his or her passions generously, without bile or hate (we know who we are talking about here yes?), and someone with your sort of passion and your intelligence is the best and most delightful advocate for reading I can possibly imagine.

delighted,

Mirabell

titania7

Reader
Mirabell said:
I have been resisting Hamsun for quite a while, not quite sure why. This review has whetted my appetite for his work again.

M.,
I'm pleased to hear that my review piqued your interest in Hamsun. One thing that has struck me about the three books of his that I've read thus far is that each one is profoundly different. Personally, I would recommend starting with Mysteries. It's a deeper, more profound book than Pan;yet, it's much less oppressive than Hunger. In fact, I would have to say that Mysteries is one of the finest books I've ever read. I'll write a review up later this week (hopefully).

Mirabell said:
We get a small glimpse into why this novel has so affected you yet you pan out again quickly, I could not help but feel a pang of regret.

Please note: I have revised my original review, M., and have made several changes because of your comments. You honest words stirred something deep within me, and I realized I had indeed restrained my passion for this book. This could have been caused by many things, not least of which is the fact that Mysteries, which I read after Hunger, left me so overwhelmed that the initial impact of Hunger was somewhat diminished. And perhaps as much if not more than this is my own love/hate relationship with food. Under times of immense stress, I am unable to eat, in spite of extreme hunger. This made certain aspects of Hamsun's Hunger difficult to digest. I truly did find the book immensely oppressive; indeed, it left me with a feeling of sorrow for many days.

In a way, I'm glad that I read it very quickly--that is, in a few, short hours. I would think that reading it over an extended period would only make the protagonist's sufferings more unbearable.

I hope the comments I just made will not take away from the fact that I found Hunger both impressive and mesmerizing. It is a book everyone should read at least once. I even plan to read it again sometime in the future, probably after I finish reading all of Hamsun's other works.

Mirabell said:
The thing I like most about your contributions here is how you transmit your passion for literature. It is a grand sight seeing someone share his or her passions generously, without bile or hate (we know who we are talking about here yes?), and someone with your sort of passion and your intelligence is the best and most delightful advocate for reading I can possibly imagine.

These are very kind words on your part, and I thank you for them. I cannot think of anyone whose compliments would mean more to me than yours do. I could go to great lengths to express my heartfelt appreciation, but this just isn't the place. I will say one thing, however, and that is that your remarks about both me and my reviews have more than delighted me.

elated,
Titania

cuchulain

Reader
Hamsun was a great novelist. Terrible political sense. Flat out awful. But a great novelist. I've read five of his novels, and about others, but I think four are essential:

Hunger
Mysteries
Pan
Victoria

My favorite is Mysteries.

I need to go back and see if new translations have been published of the four. Want to keep up with changes. Perhaps better manuscripts being used, etc. etc.

Hamsun the existentialist. Hamsun the romantic. Hamsun the insecure fighter for respect. He needs to be read. Very important voice . . .

titania7

Reader
Cuchalin,
Oh, how could I have forgotten about Victoria! I've read that book, as well. What a beautiful and tragic love story! Indeed, it was so exquisite that it seemed more like a dream than a novel. Could that explain why I didn't remember it? Or can anything fully explain my temporary amnesia? Probably not, since I read Victoria last week, only a day after I finished Hunger. I'll certainly write a review on that, too--I wouldn't miss it.

I appreciate your comments quite a lot, Cuchalin...and I'm delighted to have discovered another enthusiastic devotee of Hamsun's novels. He does indeed have a "very important voice"....

~Titania

cuchulain

Reader
Victoria is a kind of dream. I read and reread my Hamsun in the 80s and 90s, so can not remember the details. But I do remember thinking that he was in a category of one.

In general, he seems to have been an author who wrote his best work early, and did not sustain the quality. But when someone writes four masterworks, it's probably expecting too much to hope for more.

Hunger was made into a very fine movie. Netflix has it. From 1966. Director is Henning Carlsen. Stars Per Oscarsson.

~K.

Hunger is definitely a remarkable, and what many would say, a disturbing novel, but the story needed to be told, and Hamsun told it in such a way, without the common self pity, with almost a sort of controlled insanity, odd thoughts all scribbled down along with all the eccentricities, such a story told in such a prose definitely forms a strange effect, regardless, it was a new voice and remains unique even today. I would say that the narrator of Pan is a similar character, and these works are beautiful in their strangeness. I forgot why i picked up the book Hunger, odd cover illustration? All I remember was getting it from the school library, reading it, and thinking to myself This is it, This is one of the few stories that must be told. I still remember the narrator's joy at the end of each book as he was rescued by ten kroners just when it seemed like his death was inevitable.

Victoria is completely different from these two works, at least in prose, and is a story told a thousand times, but Hamsun told it so well and was not afraid to indulge in melodrama, and it ended up being, as Mann said, another immortal poem. Mystery is the only one of his earlier works which I have not read yet, but reading the comments on here, it looks like I would have to get started on it soon.

Tales of Love and Lost, a collection of his short stories, is also a fantastic read in my opinion. There also seems to be differing opinions on his later works, and while I have not read any yet, it seems like I am with the group who would think that his best works were written before the 20th century, of course I would sill read his later works, but from what I read it seems that he switched focus from observing the individual to the whole, which is a shame, because nobody explored the unseen depths of a soul better than he did. I cannot complain though, for I think that Hunger alone is enough proof of the man's brilliance. Very few stories like it.

Last edited:

titania7

Reader
Mirabell said:
The results are excellent and if my comments have brought this about I am as happy as I can be.

M.,
Thank you....both for the compliment and for the fact that you forced me to see what was missing from my original review. Sometimes we fail to see that which is right before our eyes. Although I couldn't pinpoint what failed to meet my expectations about my review, I knew something was lacking. I do relish literature with a passion that few could fathom, and, if my reviews ever fail to convey this passion, I hope you will be the first to tell me. Your honesty is one thing I know I can rely on. Always.

~Titania

Last edited:

lionel

Reader
In the late 1960s I was in Paris and experienced hunger, but this was nothing in comparison to the the vast circus that was the St Michel area. Although I had very little money left, a chance encounter with a Sorbonne student led to her allowing me the use of her room at the top of an old building off-off the Boulevard St Michel. She was away home in the south for the grandes vacances and thought nothing of entrusting me, an almost total stranger, with the use of her room for several weeks. People did things like that in those days almost without thinking about it. To me, it meant that I could prolong my stay in Paris and spend weeks just wandering around the whole city, with my only worry being how to eke out what little money I had left. As I wasn't a vegetarian at the time, I existed mainly on a diet of tuna baguettes and cheaper-than-water Nicolas red wine. I went back to England 'mince comme a sandwich SNCF,' as Renaud wrote some time later.

However I digress, as is my wont. And shall digress more. Titania, bless her, has started this thread on Knut Hamsun's Hunger, which I read some time ago, and originally remembered little of. However, half of Hamsun's title belongs to Lionel Britton's novel Hunger and Love, and seriously leads me to believe that it was a formative influence on Britton's novel. I no longer have a copy of Hamsun's novel, but it's available for all to read via Project Gutenberg.

Arthur Phelps in Hunger and Love undergoes poverty, hunger, degradation and shame, and these are all underlined in Hamsun's work. The minutiae of everyday existence, particularly the pathetic sums of money involved in such a lifestyle, are also there.

Many thanks, Titania, darling, for so skilfully bringing this back, for making me re-visit the book (albeit in part only), and for being so crucial in helping me to bring this link between Hamsun's Hunger and Britton's Hunger and Love: the thematic connections between the two books seem too strong for this to be a coincidence.

titania7

Reader
lionel said:
Titania, bless her, has started this thread on Knut Hamsun's Hunger, which I read some time ago, and originally remembered little of. However, half of Hamsun's title belongs to Lionel Britton's novel Hunger and Love, and seriously leads me to believe that it was a formative influence on Britton's novel. I no longer have a copy of Hamsun's novel, but it's available for all to read via Project Gutenberg.

Lionel,
Thanks so much for the comments. As you know, Hunger and Love is on my to-be-read-soon list, and I will be anxious to perceive the similarities between Hamsun's novel and Britton's book.

lionel said:
Arthur Phelps in Hunger and Love undergoes poverty, hunger, degradation and shame, and these are all underlined in Hamsun's work. The minutiae of everyday existence, particularly the pathetic sums of money involved in such a lifestyle, are also there.

Very apt points. I think both characters are somewhat victimized by an unfeeling, uncaring world.

lionel said:
Many thanks, Titania, darling, for so skilfully bringing this back, for making me re-visit the book (albeit in part only), and for being so crucial in helping me to bring this link between Hamsun's Hunger and Britton's Hunger and Love: the thematic connections between the two books seem too strong for this to be a coincidence.

Lionel, darling, I'm glad to have been of some value. I concur wholeheartedly about the thematic connections between Hunger and Love and Hunger. Leave it to a Britton aficionado like you to point this out ;).

~Titania

nnyhav

Reader
I found Hunger to be significant but not great, its influence less profound than I.B. Singer would have it, so too the break from prior influence (more Gogolic I think). I don't know whether Robert Bly's translation is up to Sverre Lyngstad's, but I can't see that as the crux of it. There is some brilliance to the derangement, the misplaced significance and impulsiveness, the self-defeating strategems, but it undermines itself, dulls the lustre, unbalanced by its manic emphasis (even in describing depressive episodes). For all that, it captures something very real in unwavering fidelity to its own unreality.

Hello, Titania!
Thank you for bringing back the great Hamsun. Though Hunger is a great book, I enjoyed better Mysteries. The growth of the soil is supposed to be his masterpiece, but I don't exactly agree with that. But, though tastes are different, I still think Hamsun is one of the greatest writers of the 20th century (and others centuries as well).

liehtzu

Reader
I found Hunger to be significant but not great, its influence less profound than I.B. Singer would have it, so too the break from prior influence (more Gogolic I think). I don't know whether Robert Bly's translation is up to Sverre Lyngstad's, but I can't see that as the crux of it. There is some brilliance to the derangement, the misplaced significance and impulsiveness, the self-defeating strategems, but it undermines itself, dulls the lustre, unbalanced by its manic emphasis (even in describing depressive episodes). For all that, it captures something very real in unwavering fidelity to its own unreality.

I have just picked up the Lyngstad translation of Hunger, along with the Oliver Stallybrass Victoria and, giddy with joy, Miller's The Colossus of Maroussi - all three are slim enough that they won't weigh down my pack as I trek through Malaysia and Indonesia. I've only read Lyngstad's introduction to Hunger, and he takes a fair amount of time to brutalize the Robert Bly translation (as he does in his introduction to Mysteries; it seems to be a favorite whipping-boy)- Bly's Norwegian georgraphy is so bad he even mistakes the location of Kristiana (Oslo), it seems. More significantly (according to Lyngstad), he doesn't translate Hamsun's weird fluctuations between past and present tense, which is essential to Hamsun's technique of trying to capture psychological "reality." Bly also misses all of Hamsun's satirical jabs at religion. Again, translation is essential - and Bly, who supposedly translated works from Swedish, Norwegian, German, Spanish, Persian (!!), and Urdu (!!!) probably didn't have the required grasp of the language to adequately translate Hunger.

liehtzu

Reader
(...and, as always Titania, loved your take on the book. Will read and get back with my two, or possibly even three, cents.)

titania7

Reader
Guillaume Barkero said:
Hello, Titania!
Thank you for bringing back the great Hamsun. Though Hunger is a great book, I enjoyed better Mysteries. The growth of the soil is supposed to be his masterpiece, but I don't exactly agree with that. But, though tastes are different, I still think Hamsun is one of the greatest writers of the 20th century (and others centuries as well).

Guillaume,
Welcome back to the forum! You have been missed. I know how much you adore Hamsun's work, and, I agree that, although Hunger is excellent, Mysteries is a more complex and impressive book. Not having yet read The Growth of the Soil, it would be unfair for me to comment on it. I do concur with what you say about Hamsun being one of the greatest writers of any century (not merely the 20th century). Indeed, I would have to rank him among the finest authors in literary history.

Thank you so much for posting to my thread, Guillaume. Your input is very much appreciated, as always!

Saludos,
Titania ;)

titania7

Reader
liehtzu said:
(...and, as always Titania, loved your take on the book. Will read and get back with my two, or possibly even three, cents.)

Why, Liehtzu, many thanks for the kind words! You're going to have me blushing soon! ;) I'll look forward to hearing what you think of
Hunger. It is always a pleasure to read your insightful reviews.

Catch you later.

~Titania

hdw

Reader
I was in the library of my old university today browsing through some academic journals, and the editorial in the Norwegian journal "edda" [they favour lower-case for the title] mentioned that 2009 sees the 150th anniversary of Hamsun's birth. A new Hamsun centre is to be opened at Hamar?y - I assume that's his birthplace - and there are to be conferences devoted to him, and "Hamsun days", in lots of countries.

So it sounds as if you won't actually have to be in Norway to celebrate the old boy's life and works.

Harry

titania7

Reader
I was in the library of my old university today browsing through some academic journals, and the editorial in the Norwegian journal "edda" [they favour lower-case for the title] mentioned that 2009 sees the 150th anniversary of Hamsun's birth. A new Hamsun centre is to be opened at Hamar?y - I assume that's his birthplace - and there are to be conferences devoted to him, and "Hamsun days", in lots of countries.

So it sounds as if you won't actually have to be in Norway to celebrate the old boy's life and works.

Harry

Why, Harry, this is indeed exciting news!! Somewhat ironically, I just began reading Growth of the Soil last night. Thus far, I'm favorably impressed with the novel. It's quite different than the other works by Hamsun that I've read, but I'm enjoying it immensely.

Oh, I do hope they'll have a "Hamsun day" here in Atlanta, since I haven't any plans to go to Norway anytime soon!

~Titania

"I had a mind to do mischief, commit some startling act,
turn the town topsy-turvy and raise a rumpus."

~Hunger, Knut Hamsun

More than happy with your reading Growth of the soil, Titania; that is my best friend's favourite Hamsun novel (mine is Mysteries, you know). I always recall how he heard of Hamsun for the first time: he was perplexed by an episode written by Henry Miller (Plexus, I think), in which a beautiful woman was always reading aloud in an enchanting language, some novel by an unknown author; the character then realized it was Norwegian, and the book was by Hamsun. Since then, he bought some of his novels fron the beautiful Penguin classics, and totally fell in love (me too, for sure)with Hamsun's literature. A truly master.

Guillaume