Krúdy Gyula: Sunflower

titania7

Reader
Sunflower by Gyula Krudy
translated from the Hungarian by John Batki

"You'll need life's disappointments and storms to find the path to happiness. Yes, go on and step out, have a good time and laugh a lot, dazzle and dance on. Sooner or later you'll have your fill of the masquerade."

This advice is given to the twenty-year-old Eveline, one of the key characters in Sunflower, an exquisite little novel that was first published in 1918. To say that Gyula Krudy's prose is sublime would be an understatement. Each passage of this book ripples like threads of gold and silver--each sentence is like a poem. This book is a gift to all who read it. My only complaint is that it was over much too soon. To compare Krudy to any other author, even Sandor Marai, whom we have to thank for his re-discovery, is both unfair and impossible. Though he lived in a modern time and Sunflower is considered to be a masterpiece of modern literature, Krudy used his pen to sketch images of old Hungary, a dream-laden world of imaginary people and imaginary events that take place in surrealistic settings. He was an eccentric author, whose style defies classification. Like his other work, Sunflower has only the vaguest of plots. The characters engage in activities that seem to transpire in another dimension, a dimension far removed from any reality that we have ever known, whether in the world of literature or otherwise.

"Eveline was petite, with black hair. She loved the color red. To amuse herself at home she dressed as a Gypsy girl."

This is our first vivid description of the enchanting Eveline, who begins the novel reading a book by the light of a candelabra. She is mourning her fiancee, a young charmer by the name of Kalman, who appears much later in the book. Krudy's metaphors are one of our first indications of his lyrical brilliance. When he describes Eveline's house growing quiet, "like a discarded diary whose heroes and heroines have departed from this world," and the garden paths under plantains "exhaling deeply like sleeping virgins," the reader does not have to wonder why Krudy has been called a master of "art-nouveau prose."

To imagine that I would recommend Sunflower merely on the basis of its beauty would be naive. It is a richly textured yet diaphanous tapestry of people, places, and adventures woven by an author whose place in literary history is assured more because of his individuality than anything else. He an eccentric genius in the vein of Shakespeare and Dante--a genius who seems to sum up Nabokov's famous quote, "Genius is non-conformity," just as well if not better than any other author
of the twentieth century.

Eveline is one in a dream-like assemblage of characters that sprinkle the 229 pages of Sunflower with a mythical, almost fairy-like stardust. In most ways, she is the very antithesis of her best friend, Malvina Maszkeradi, a more colorful yet much less predictable young woman. If Eveline seems too rigid and staid, Malvina appears to be almost wickedly capricious. Yet it isn't the characters in this novel that bewitch the reader. Rather, it is Krudy's prose. Echoing the stream-of-consciousness style of other writers yet never once comprimising his own unique voice, Krudy paints visual images with such copious grandeur, that you feel as if you've eaten a luxurious feast after a mere ten pages. Krudy is no mere author--he is a magician. It is only appropriate that the book is filled with witchcraft and superstition--indeed, it seems to cast a spell on the reader from the very first page. With an artistry that must be read to be fully comprehended, Krudy weaves sub-plots in and out of the main story, making you wonder which characters are at the crux of the book and which are incidental. We are introduced to Akos Almos-Dreamer, a man whose very name makes him sound like a character out of a fairy tale. Krudy begins by engaging the reader's interest in the history of Almos-Dreamer's family:

"They were the crazy Almos-Dreamers...For centuries the Almos-Dreamers had stalked wealthy widows, moneyed elderly women and females with prized dowries, pretty much the way they hunted the rarer kinds of egret in the marshy reeds of the Tisza.

That was back in the family's heyday.

As a result, they acquired historical ruins; forts, forests and castles. Women's curses, the shrieks of imprisoned spouses,
the sad and vengeful shades of wives dispatched to the other shore haunted the Almos-Dreamers....Curses turned into an owl's hoot, echoing crypts and mysterious moonlit forests loom in the remote history of many a Hungarian family....Men in their old age married as lightheartedly as the young. They would abduct their women if necessary....Old family histories all resemble each other."

When one thinks of Krudy as a modern writer, passages like this seem out of place. Yet that is part of his singularity as an author. He makes use of some of the same themes--aristocratic-like families and antiquated figures and customs of the past--that such past luminaries of Hungarian fiction as Kalman Mikszath made use of. And yet he does so in his own inimitable style.
Krudy is a paradox, an anomaly in the history of literature. Although it could be thought that he set out to introduce a new type of fiction with novels like Sunflower, it becomes more and more clear as one examines the details of his life that, like Balzac, he wrote because he had to--not to create a reputation as a literary innovator.

While the first Eveline is pure and virtuous, the Eveline that enters the life of the member of the Almos-Dreamer clan that
the reader becomes acquainted with, Akos Almos-Dreamer, is an entirely different creature.

"One day they (the Almos-Dreamer family) abducted a blonde witch whose blue eyes flashed with all the colors of a mountain stream. She was as supple as a silvery birch in springtime. And like tumbleweed she clung to men. She spoke the language of
grasses, old trees and crossroads. She could make herself understood to beasts. The windmill's blades stopped when she blew at them."

She becomes Almos-Dreamer's fourth wife...and his obsession, or what Krudy describes as "...an aging man's desperate, sleepless passion." She tells Almos-Dreamer about all the affairs she engages in over the course of their marriage. Yet in spite of this, his desire for her only grows in intensity. In many respects, she is a well-deserved match for a man who hurt countless women in the past, a man who has made a "whole slew of women cry." In spite of all his efforts, Almos-Dreamer fails to satisfy Eveline. He cannot make her love him no matter what he does. Eventually, he decides to commit suicide, and Eveline, who believes that the true test of a man's love is whether or not he's willing to die for her, urges him to do it.

Krudy interjects this part of the story in such a skillful way that you never feel that it doesn't fit in with the rest of the whole. And it does tie in, even if it isn't instantly apparent.

There are many digressions of this nature in Sunflower, and this could lessen its general appeal. At times it does seem painfully beautiful, almost like a diamond that is too bright to rest your eyes upon for more than a moment or two. To expect Krudy to write like any other author would be like expecting Chopin to write music like that of another composer.

As the book surges onward, like a fountain that never stops flowing for a second, we are introduced to Kalman, the lover of Eveline's who threatens to kill himself when she rejects him. Interspersed with the story are discursive and astute insights. Krudy appears to view love as both malady and joy:

"Love can be a most ridiculous and childish thing, as long as it amuses or torments others.

It is the clown's pancake makeup daubed on our fellow men's faces.

Or a flamboyantly long pheasant feather stuck in a dunce's cap.

Or worthless filberts used by children and old men in games of chance

Everyone appears ridiculous when in love."

It's passages like this that prevent the opulence of this novel, the overpowering lyricism, the poetry that often seems to have no end and no beginning, from seeming overwhelming. There is nothing predictable or sensible about this book or the characters inside it. When we become acquainted with Maskeradi, we are once again well aware that we've crossed paths with
another remarkable figure.

"Had he the inclination, Maszkeradi could have seduced and abducted the entire female population of Chamois Street. He was a stray soul, French or German in origin, variously prince in exile or cardsharp, refined gentleman or midnight serenader, fencing master or freeloader, as the occasion demanded."

Maszkeradi quickly makes a grand exit, though he returns from the dead as a beguiling ghost. In this ghastly form, he impregnates the female conquest who killed him by sticking a knitting needle into his heart and a nail into the crown of his head. Malvina Maszkeradi is the result of this supernatural union, and it is no surprise that she turns out to be one of the most bizarre and mesmerizing characters in the book. Ironically, she is also full of common sense. Perhaps the fact her mother died in childbirth, leaving her an orphan who at a young age must be entirely independent, has made her wise beyond her years. She tells Eveline, in a monologue that is part confession, part advice:

"I must always look within myself for everything. I believe only in myself, and myself alone, and I don't give a damn about others' opinions. I view each of my acts as if I were reading about it fifty years from now, in a newly found diary. Did I do something ridiculous and dumb? I ask myself each night when I close my eyes. I think over each word, each act: will I regret it, come tomorrow? I am my own judge and I judge myself as harshly as if I'd been lying in my grave these hundred years, my life a yellowed parchment diary, its end known in advance....I want to know this very minute what I will think ten years from now about today, about today's weather and about this night....Will I have to be ashamed of some weakness or tenderness?....I try to modulate my decisions and my emotions by looking ahead and seeing whether I'd regret it tomorrow."

Such words of wisdom from a young woman make this book seem more like a fairy tale than ever. Who has discovered these things for themselves without making countless mistakes first? We can only feel grateful that Krudy pulls off all these insights with such incandecsent lyricism, never once lapsing into pedantry or making anything seem like a moral lesson.

In spite of the sheer bliss that reading a book this magnificent makes the reader feel, there is still a vein of melancholy that runs like a black thread through the center of all the silver and gold. Krudy's sees life as both bitter and sweet, and he makes use of minor characters when it comes to conveying his message:

"People's life stories sound to me like tales heard in the restaurant of a train station. The train stands snowed in and people tell each other experiences and observations. In hindsight everyone knows where he made his mistakes. I have yet to find a traveler at the train station who was content. One has to be very stupid to find life bearable."

Krudy's view of life almost seems nihilistic; yet, there is nothing bleak about this book. It is like a series of love letters that you want to keep reading and re-reading. It both confuses you and thrills you, both stuns you and enchants you, both saddens you and leaves you ecstatic. Reading it is like breathing the fragrance of wild roses. Amid bunches of classic books that are read and revered, this little masterpiece stands alone like an exotic jewel. Don't let it pass you by.

Gyula Krudy is regarded as the greatest prose writer of Hungary in the twentieth century. Why? John Lukacs, in his brilliant introduction to this NYRB Classics edition, may sum it up best:

"...one of the marks of Krudy's extraordinary position in the history of Hungarian literature (and, if I may say so, in the history of Hungarian mentality), is the character of his unclassifiability....That alone is a mark of his greatness. The unclassifiable character of his style, of his vision, of his very Hungarianness is more than the mark of an eccentric talent: the talent exists not because it is eccentric, and the eccentricity is remarkable not because it is talented. Like a Shakespeare or a Dante or a Goethe in their very different ways, Krudy is a genius."

Although all but forgotten in the years following his death, Krudy was re-discovered in the 1940s by Marai. During his lifetime he was awarded Hungary's top literary award, the Baumgarten Prize.

Sunflower was originally published in installments as Napraforgo in the Budapest daily Virnadot in 1918. It appeared in book form later that same year. It was not translated into English until 1997.

My rating: *****+++

~Titania

Last edited:

nnyhav

Reader
re: Kr?dy Gyula: Sunflower

I recall being a bit disappointed by it:
Gyula Kr?dy, Sunflower (trans John B?tki): Exuberant melancholia (it's a Hungarian thing, you wouldn't understand, so says John Lukacs in the intro, a profile piece pulled from the New Yorker, prone to exaggeration of importance, I think, but it's a Hungarian thing ...). Character sketching along strong lines and serial imagistic epigrammatic metaphor (e.g. daughters of the bourgeoisie ... listening to the music of distant accordians, their hearts overflowing like a stone trough whose water drips from a little-used faucet) carry the story.

titania7

Reader
Re: Kr?dy Gyula: Sunflower

nnyhav,
I read the book in a day. And, being a creature whose moods sometimes vary with the weather, I will say that the book hit me at just the right moment. It's crazy, exuberant, brilliant, beautiful, insane, maddening, spellbinding, confusing...and unlike any other novel I've ever read.

That being said, I can understand your disappointment. It wasn't what I expected it to be, either. How could it have been when I've never read another book like it? It's certainly not for the faint of heart, either. In fact, I would recommend that those who are used to sparsely written texts take it in very small doses (or perhaps, not at all).

If I could describe what reading it is like, I would have to say that it would be like visiting a perfume counter and inhaling all the fragrances. I don't want to deceive anyone who is thinking of reading Sunflower. It truly is for those who believe that more is less...and not that other way around ;). It gives a whole new meaning to the word decadence.

Many thanks for your honest input, nnyhav...and for the link.

~Titania

lionel

Reader

Yes, Titania, this is very well-written and you write it with so much passion that it’s very difficult not to be tempted into reading it. However, I’ve got far too many books to read at the moment and nowhere near enough time to read them in. I’m nevertheless grateful to you for introducing me to an author of whom I’d perhaps otherwise have been unaware.

I’ll confess, though, that’s it’s just one small paragraph in particular that made me sit up:

Eveline was petite, with black hair. She loved the color red. To amuse herself at home she dressed as a Gypsy girl."

Representations of gypsies fascinate me, and although I’ve made no study of them, there are just a few things that have occurred to me in passing as I’ve read about them. They’re seen from the 19th through to the early part of the 20th century as part of the landscape almost, but nearly always mysterious and romantic. George Borrow’s and D. H. Lawrence’s representations come to mind perhaps more readily than most, but it’s female gypsies that particularly lodge in my skull: I’m thinking here of two obscure works: M?nie Muriel Dowie’s New Woman novel Gallia (1895), and James Prior’s Fortuna Chance (1910). In Gallia, the gypsy girl is only mentioned as the willing object of the young protagonist’s sexual urges (as is not uncommon in the fiction of the day), and in Fortuna Chance a man is hidden from his pursuers under the bedclothes, under the person, of a unknown but obliging gypsy girl. I believe the implication is clear: gypsy girls represent a wild and benevolent sexual energy.

The colour red is also associated with sexuality – we have only to think, for instance, of Tennyson’s ‘crimson petal’ (words recently popularised by Michel Faber, of course) in The Princess – and gypsy girl representations often have red hair, as opposed to Eveline’s black. I just find it interesting that Eveline goes through this gypsy routine in the privacy (?) of her own home. But I can’t help thinking that this behaviour must have meant far more to a Hungarian reader in 1918 than, say, an English or American reader in 1997. Dunno.

Last edited:

titania7

Reader

Yes, Titania, this is very well-written and you write it with so much passion that it?s very difficult not to be tempted into reading it.

Lionel,
Ah...I'm quite glad that my passion for the book had such a potent impact on you, darling.

And thanks for the kind words.

lionel said:
However, I?ve got far too many books to read at the moment and nowhere near enough time to read them in.

Well, we can't always let temptation get the best of us ;).

lionel said:
I?m nevertheless grateful to you for introducing me to an author of whom I?d perhaps otherwise have been unaware.

If I've broadened your horizons, lionel, I'm delighted.

lionel said:
Representations of gypsies fascinate me, and although I?ve made no study of them, there are just a few things that have occurred to me in passing as I?ve read about them. They?re seen from the 19th through to the early part of the 20th century as part of the landscape almost, but nearly always mysterious and romantic. George Borrow?s and D. H. Lawrence?s representations come to mind perhaps more readily than most, but it?s female gypsies that particularly lodge in my skull: I?m thinking here of two obscure works: M?nie Muriel Dowie?s New Woman novel Gallia (1895), and James Prior?s Fortuna Chance (1910). In Gallia, the gypsy girl is only mentioned as the willing object of the young protagonist?s sexual urges (as is not uncommon in the fiction of the day), and in Fortuna Chance a man is hidden from his pursuers under the bedclothes, under the person, of a unknown but obliging gypsy girl. I believe the implication is clear: gypsy girls represent a wild and benevolent sexual energy.

I'm so glad you mentioned Gallia and Fortuna Chance as I've never heard of either book. Yet, like you, I am positively fascinated by gypsies!
Naturally, Lawrence's novella, The Virgin and the Gypsy,is the work that first comes to mind when I think of gypsies in literature. My mother even wrote an extensive essay on this piece many, many years ago.

lionel said:
The colour red is also associated with sexuality ? we have only to think, for instance, of Tennyson?s ?crimson petal? (words recently popularised by Michel Faber, of course) in The Princess ? and gypsy girl representations often have red hair, as opposed to Eveline?s black. I just find it interesting that Eveline goes through this gypsy routine in the privacy (?) of her own home. But I can?t help thinking that this behaviour must have meant far more to a Hungarian reader in 1918 than, say, an English or American reader in 1997. Dunno.

You're quite correct: the color red is associated with sexuality. It's a highly erotic color, as a matter of fact. It symbolizes passion and energy, and it's the color of blood, which is representative of the life force.

Which brings us to the subject of red hair. For some reason, I have always thought of gypsies as being sultry, dark-haired creatures. Yet I am a bit of a gypsy at heart...and, as you know, my hair is red. Thus, if gypsies have been representated with auburn tresses, who am I to argue? ;)

I have made a few alterations to my review, per the advice you passed on to me privately. I am still considering more changes. As always, dear, thanks for your suggestions.

~Titania

lionel

Reader

Lionel,
Ah...I'm quite glad that my passion for the book had such a potent impact
on you, darling.

Your words usually do have a potent impact on me, darling.

Well, we can't always let temptation get the best
of us.

I should hope not.

If I've broadened your horizons, lionel, I'm
delighted.

I'm sure you know that you'll always continue to broaden my horizons.

Which brings us to the subject of red hair. For
some reason, I have always thought of gypsies as being sultry,
dark-haired creatures. Yet I am a bit of a gypsy at heart...and, as you
know, my hair is red. Thus, if gypsies have been representated with
auburn tresses, who am I to argue?

Ang on. Female gypsies in their own right are often represented in literature as tremendously sexually powerful women, but mix that with red hair and what is a man after that? Dust. Read James Prior's Forest Folk, and see men get mashed to a pulp, but in a very subtle way.

You're quite correct: the color red is associated
with sexuality. It's a highly erotic color, as a matter of fact. It
symbolizes passion and energy, and it's the color of blood, which is
representative of the life force.

I knew Lawrence would come in here. ;-) Yeah, what's mere intellect? But
you omitted Tennyson's 'petals', darling. The future Poet Laureate writing
about female genitalia? Geddoutahere! Nah, the Victorians didn't see
that one, least of all Tennyson himself: it would be a bit like
Christina Rossetti realizing that her 'Goblin Market' is about frenetic
oral sex. But today everyone understands, don't they? Yeah, this is
about historicizing meaning. Good, innit?

Last edited:

titania7

Reader

lionel said:
Your words usually do have a potent impact on me, darling.

Good to know ;).

lionel said:
I'm sure you know that you'll always continue to broaden my horizons.

That's quite a compliment. Thank you, darling.

lionel said:
Ang on. Female gypsies in their own right are often represented in literature as tremendously sexually powerful women, but mix that with red hair and what is a man after that? Dust. Read James Prior's Forest Folk, and see men get mashed to a pulp, but in a very subtle way.

Yet another novel I'm unfamiliar with. It sounds like a must-read.

Of course, as you know, I'm not really a gypsy, even if I do live a slightly bohemian-like existence.

At heart, I am a pure lit'l Irish lass. Hence the red hair.

lionel said:
I knew Lawrence would come in here. ;-) Yeah, what's mere intellect? But you omitted Tennyson's 'petals', darling. The Poet Laureate writing about female genitalia? Geddoutahere! Nah, the Victorians didn't see that one, least of all Tennyson himself: it would be a bit like Christina Rossetti realizing that her 'Goblin Market' is about frenetic
oral sex. But today everyone understands, don't they? Yeah, this is
about historisizing meaning. Good, innit?

Oh my. How in the world have we gone from discussions centered around an obscure Hungarian novel to conversations about oral sex and female
genitalia?

Lionel, you are always colorful....but I'm afraid you've left me nearly speechless this time *blush*.

As always, I appreciate your ever-enlightening remarks. I'm quite certain that Christina Rossetti had not the slightest inkling that her 'Goblin Market' would ever be interpreted in such an erotic way. Ditto on Tennyson's poetry.

~Titania

titania7

Reader

Lionel, since the passage about Eveline dressing as a gypsy in the privacy of her own home is one of the things that first intrigued you about this book, I think it's only befitting to examine the dual nature of Eveline's personality.

Later in the book, she is described as having a "heart as pure as only a village girl's can be."

Also:

"She smelled of old lavender and wore shirts of fine Upland linen. In cold weather she put on soft cotton flannel petticoats although she knew full well that this was no longer the fashion. She loved to linger in vaulted chambers, to dawdle in a May garden, and, come autumn, to sink into reveries wrapped in a Kashmir shawl. And she loved beautiful old novels."

Earlier in the book, there is a mention of her wearing nothing but white during the summer, a pure contrast to the crimson red that one might associate with a gypsy's clothing. Eveline also enjoys having devotions in the Franciscan's Church. Although the novel never clearly says this, it's evident she is a chaste young woman. This idea is re-inforced by a comparison between her and the Virgin Mary. Eveline also attended convent school and is "repelled by women of easy virtue."

Her friend, Malvina Maszkeradi, is the opposite of her in this way as well. She says at one point:

"If, God forbid, I should find a man I like, I'd pick him like a roadside poppy."

Malvina is intrigued by women of easy virtue, considering them to be "wondrous creatures who lived off their bodies." As opposed to Eveline, who enjoys old-fashioned novels (such as Sir Walter Scott's classic, Ivanhoe), Malvina prefers French novels that depict life in the brothels.

Thinking of the fact that Sunflower is the book's title, the poppy metaphor I quoted above seems more than appropriate. Speaking of which, it's never entirely clear why Sunflower was chosen as the book's title, and it might even have more to do with the translator's decision than with Krudy's original intentions.

As you know, translations are tricky to begin with. But from everything I've read, this novel was especially difficult to translate.

There is a passing mention of sunflowers at least twice throughout the course of the novel--towards the end, when Krudy describes the character Pistoli's life as having been spent in "this sunflowery, tranquil, impassive land crisscrossed by highways." And also in the last chapter, "Autumn Arrives," when the "roadside sunflowers" are compared to "emaciated scarecrows."

I suspect there's at least one more mention of sunflowers, though merely thumbing through the book has failed to enlighten me. I can only think it must already be begging to be re-read!

~Titania

lionel

Reader

Oh my. How in the world have we gone from discussions centered around an obscure Hungarian novel to conversations about oral sex and female genitalia?

It's called literature, darling. Without the 'L' word. (OK, I'll spell it out: LEAVIS, and sorry for swearing with that 'L' word, fuckssake). But literature without the 'L' word takes yah anywhere yah wanna go. Coming?

Last edited:

lionel

Reader

Oh my. How in the world have we gone from discussions centered around an obscure Hungarian novel to conversations about oral sex and female genitalia?

I think it was something to do with the signification of the colour red. And then the digressions start. So? ;-)

Lionel, you are always colorful....but I'm afraid you've left me nearly speechless this time *blush*.

Me? Leave you speechless, darling? Come on...

I'm quite certain that Christina Rossetti had not the slightest inkling that her 'Goblin Market' would ever be interpreted in such an erotic way. Ditto on Tennyson's poetry.

No, but it wouldn't be conscious. And this was way before Doktor Freud, but it is no less real! As you know. :)

Last edited:

titania7

Reader

For those of you who wonder why I let myself get so emotional about Sunflower, take a look at another review:

Exquisite journey - Los Angeles Times

It brought me some consolation to know that I wasn't the only person who had a bit of trouble reviewing this novel. I, too, wanted to simply tell everyone, "Just read the book." It would have been oh-so-much easier. But sometimes the easiest path isn't the one we should take.

I hope I've piqued someone's interest in Sunflower via my review. I'm cognizant of the fact that I tend to be enthusiastic about
nearly every book I read.

For what it's worth, though, this novel truly is exceptional.

~Titania

Mirabell

Former Member

I have read neither of these reviews because I fully intended to read this book even before you declared your mad love for it, titania, and I'd rather not read reviews I'm going to read in a short while. Will read and comment here upon finishing. But this thread did jog my memory and prompt me to order it, after all.