Literary critics & analysts

vitaurd

Hello folks! Hope you're having a great day. I am wondering if anybody has recommendations of literary essayists - criticism, analysis, etc. of poetry & prose. If you have any specific critics or analysts whose body of work you recommend, or individual essays, or collections of essays - I would really appreciate it! Are there any critics/literary analysts that you love? Whose essays on literature changed your thinking, engagement with text, opened the world for you? Are there any significant/ "star" individuals/books that are key in the field of criticism/analysis that you recommend? Thanks! :)

Benny Profane

Hey, @vitaurd! Welcome to our forum!

Well in which language do you want for? There are so many critics and many schools of thought and think-thanks around the world ...
The most famous are Harold Bloom, George Steiner and Northop Frye in english language, Benedetto Croce in italian language (by a philosophical perspective), Roland Barthes in french language, Mikhail Bakhtin in russian language, György Lukács in hungarian language (by a philosophical perspective too), Artur Lunkdvist in swedish language (former member of Svenska Akademien) etc.
I also recomend José Guilherme Merquior and Antônio Cândido in portuguese language.
The contemporary and most known critic is James Wood. He ever writes for The Guardian.

My favorite critic is professor Harold Bloom because he was an unique mind!
He could combine advanced theory and pratical analysis of poetries, novels, plays and short stories and gave us the understand of "how to read and why"!

Last edited:

Leseratte

Mimesis by Erich Auerbach
El arco y la lira Octavio Paz
How fiction works James Wood
Michail Bakthin
The rising of the novel Ian Watt
Umberto Eco
Gaston Bachelard
Michel Foucauld
Henry James
These are some very general works and authors.

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
I second all of the recommendations here, especially Helen Vendler! If you want a kind of compendium of her essays, I suggest The Ocean, the Bird and the Scholar, which collects her essays of the last 30 years on different poets (mostly 19th/20th centuries). It also includes her lecture on the importance of the arts (placed strategically at the beginning of the volume).

Liam

Administrator
A. S. Byatt: On Histories & Stories. I've read it so many times, my paperback copy is all in tatters! ?

I don't think they were mentioned yet, so:

E. M. Forster
: Aspects of the Novel

John Gardner: On Becoming a Novelist

Francine Prose: Reading like a Writer

Margot Livesey: The Hidden Machinery

Jane Alison: Meander, Spiral, Explode: Design and Pattern in Narrative

kpjayan

Reader
Let me add a few

Milan Kundera - Art of the novel , The Curtain , Testament Betrayed
Mario Vargas Llosa - Letters to a Young Novelist,
Severo Sarduy - Written on Body
Cynthia Ozik - Critica,Monsters, Fanatics and Other Literary Essays & Quarrel and Quandary

Morbid Swither

Hélène Cixous’s writings on the concept of écriture féminine, “The Laugh of the Medusa.”

Out of Sheer Rage: Wrestling With D.H. Lawrence by Geoff Dyer.

Essays and reviews from Elizabeth Hardwick.

Reality Hunger: A Manifesto by David Shields.

And I remain very interested in, but have not read Louise Glück’s volumes of literary essays.

John Dolan

A partial archive of his articles for the Exile is again available:

It includes many of his classics, as far as I can tell, such as his takedown and exposé of James Frey, the piece about Ben Okri, the brilliantly titled "Smut for the Pious", etc.

His Amazon.com reviews were also quite often a hoot, but I don't think there's any way to find many of them now.

The more focused and systematic attack on David Foster Wallace (and Eggers, and Vollmann) the Exiled published later isn't listed on the link above but can be easily found; BTW "Ramon Glazov" seems to be the pseudonym that John Dolan is yet to own up to (or maybe not; Glazov has written a positive review of one of Dolan's books, and I don't think Dolan would have that gall).

Oddly, it was the War Nerd stuff, his biggest hit, that I always had mixed feelings about. Some good insight in there, yes, but the tone was too similar to that of Cracked listicles that called a war hero "a badass". War is no joke.

Yes, at the time (and even today) I was the ideal target for Dolan's outcast posturing, and I was always (and remain so) infinitely envious of the lives of unbridled debauchery the Exiles led in Moscow back in the noughties. But there's no denying how darkly funny Dolan's articles are, and yes I do dare say it - the sheer quality of his writing.

As for his actual influence on me: it wasn't Dolan who got me into Houellebecq; that was, bizarrely, Orthofer, even though even at the time I never cared about his actual reviews - I just checked his site to get to know a few names in contemporary French fiction. But it was most certainly Dolan who led me to read Céline.

Luís Miguel Rosa - "Heteronym" here and at the Fictional Woods.

From time to time he will open a new blog, write a half dozen lengthy, extensively footnoted essays on PT literature in it, written either in Portuguese or in English - and then delete it all.

I think this is all that is available right now:

Last edited:

Leseratte

From time to time he will open a new blog, write a half dozen lengthy, extensively footnoted essays on PT literature in it, written either in Portuguese or in English - and then delete it all.

His Portuguese is beautiful and very learned. Reminds me of the good essayists of 20C, which had the history of culture at their fingertips. Just a curiosity: are there any essay books by him or does he destroy all his writings? Another curiosity: What is Gabriel, o Pensador doing in this blog?

Just a curiosity: are there any essay books by him or does he destroy all his writings?

None of those essays has been published as of yet, but it would be crazy if he didn't keep copies of them for publication later on. Luís Miguel Rosa BTW is a published author, but of poetry and fiction.

Another curiosity: What is Gabriel, o Pensador doing in this blog?

It's not a blog but a portal including info and articles about films, music, TV, arts, etc.

Leseratte

None of those essays has been published as of yet, but it would be crazy if he didn't keep copies of them for publication later on. Luís Miguel Rosa BTW is a published author, but of poetry and fiction.
Thanks, @Corswandt for sharing this essay and calling the attention to this talented (ex) member. I quite agree with you.

It's not a blog but a portal including info and articles about films, music, TV, arts, etc.
I see.

Benny Profane

Why did Heteronym leave here?
His blog (in english): http://storberose.blogspot.com/

I read some essays by him and I enjoyed a lot them.

Why did Heteronym leave here?
His blog (in english): http://storberose.blogspot.com/

I read some essays by him and I enjoyed a lot them.

That blog was precisely the element that allowed me to make the "WLF Heteronym - Portuguese blogger Luís Miguel Rosa" connection yet I completely forgot about it.

To give you an idea of the sort of essays he wrote in his now deleted Portuguese language blogs, I'd say the ones I enjoyed the most were sociology of (PT) literature in the vein of, say, this:

Only with a shitload of footnotes.

Impressive stuff at any rate.

Leseratte

I´m really impressed with Luís Miguel Rosa, @Corswandt. Did you notice that he adapts his style of writing to the language he writes in? And footnotes were very usual in academic articles of the 20 C.
However, to my mind, he makes a mistake, that is very common and that is very irritating to Brazilians and probably also to the habitants of French Guiana: he uses the term Latin American Literature when he in fact means Spanish American Literature. There is some controversy about the usage of the term and which literatures it includes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_American_literature ) but it certainly isn´t a synonym of Spanish American Literature.