Multatuli: Max Havelaar

Benny Profane

Based on Sitor Situmorang and Indonesian Literature threads, I've decided to create this thread to discuss about a book (superb book, in fact) regarding the colonial regime on Indonesia and its inhumanity by the Netherlands with Indonesian people.

Powerful, satyrical, very critical, dense and raw, Max Havelaar is an experimental book written in Romantism era. It's a memorable openning: "I'm a coffee-broker, and live at Nº 37 Laurier Canal, Amsterdam" that repeat itself many times around the book.

It was a major influence for Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels to write about colonalism and imperialism.

This novel caused intense debates at the Netherlands during the exploration (colonial) era on Indonesia.
According to some critics: "a book which destryoed the Dutch colonialism".

Last edited:

Leseratte

Based on Sitor Situmorang and Indonesian Literature threads, I've decided to create this thread to discuss about a book (superb book, in fact) regarding the colonial regime on Indonesia and its inhumanity by the Netherlands with Indonesian people.

Powerful, satyrical, very critical, dense and raw, Max Havelaar is an experimental book written in Romantism era. It's a memorable openning: "I'm a cofee-broker, and live at Nº 37 Laurier Canal, Amsterdam" that repeat itself many times around the book.

It was a major influence for Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels to write about colonalism and imperialism.

This novel caused intense debates at the Netherlands during the exploration (colonial) era on Indonesia.
According to some critics: "a book which destryoed the Dutch colonialism".
I've got it in German, but haven´t read it yet! Putting it up on the BTR list.