Nobel Prize in Literature 2018

Good choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bartleby

Just bought her House of Day, House of Night over on amazon BR, since it’s not available on kindle.

I know The Books of Jacob is being translated by Jennifer Croft, the same one who translated Flights, tho they said it was gonna take a while till its publishing.

Here in Brazil there’s a translation of Flights, as I mentioned (tho the present edition is from a small house, and they didnt include all the maps, only one of them - but it seams to have been bought by a larger publisher so they’ll fix that) and Drive your plow is being published in November.

I am assuming Fitzcarraldo might have more incentive now to see if they can publish it next year. I think it was originally scheduled for 2021.

Bartleby

tokarczuk congratulated handke’s win, saying: “he is one of my favourite authors”

Via svenska dagbladet (I had entered with a registration a while back for two months for free to read the articles, haha)

Two white Europeans. With all the pressure on the Academy to award writers from other continents and this or that specific group, how bad must the potential tokenistic candidates be right now so that the Academy can't find a single suitable winner among them.

Last edited:

Bartleby

Yeah, apparently, Poland is currently heavily right wing leaned, and she is an ardent leftist, so you better believe there’s controversy in her country. Recently, as she won the nike award for her latest novel, books of jacob, and made a speech about Poland’s history of being complicit in the killing of jews, she was threatened to death and her publishers had to hire a body guard for her.

Last edited:
Anyone who knows Swedish, what were they discussing in the Q+A and about how they are changing the process? I'd be very curious to learn what was said...

Then go ahead, vote NO and erase this horrible affront we have inflicted on her.

There is a scene in the famous film "The Great Beauty (La Grande Bellezza)" by Paolo Sorrentino where a group of Italian intellectuals kill their time talking and drinking on the roof of a building. I think they would enjoy Tokarczuk's books - liberal, politically correct, uncontroversial, with no thrills and madness at all. I once tried reading "The Books of Jacob". It was so great that it put me to sleep. ;-) Yes, it's a boring choice.

Uemarasan

Reader
Honestly, I was hoping for a Carson win, but perhaps there have been too many recent winners writing in English.

I do like Tokarczuk’s writing. Quite fun even if not the most challenging.

Ludus

Reader
There is a scene in the famous film "The Great Beauty (La Grande Bellezza)" by Paolo Sorrentino where a group of Italian intellectuals kill their time talking and drinking on the roof of a building. I think they would enjoy Tokarczuk's books - liberal, politically correct, uncontroversial, with no thrills and madness at all. I once tried reading "The Books of Jacob". It was so great that it put me to sleep. ;-) Yes, it's a boring choice.

You keep using those words, "liberal", "uncontroversial" ... images (59).jpeg

Bartleby

One thing I didn’t like about this announcement was the utter indifference of the press. Not even a sound when the names, both of them, were pronounced. I love it when there’s a passionate reaction, like there was when Lessing, Tranströmer and Dylan were awarded.

Also, do you think those fb posts had anything to do with the awards?
Perhaps Gordimer to Tokarczuk, and Hemingway to Handke in their relationship with language, but that may be a stretch.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I didn’t like about this announcement was the utter indifference of the press. Not even a sound when the names, both of them, were pronounced.

Ha, so true! I was poised to type the names out for their threads, trying to pick the names out from the Swedish and then started typing Tokarczuk's name for 2018, but being quick to stop as, given the lack of reaction, I thought I'd misheard and deleted her name, then typing Handke when I heard that. Then they switched to English, and I was right in typing Tokarczuk. So deleted Handke. I did miss all the oohs, ahs, and other sound-based reactions.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Speaking of Italian movies, Peter Handke once wrote:
This cannot be possible! All this surliness when approaching and writing about something that, whatever it may be, will not change the face of the world; sentences that, in the preamble (that word, for once, being properly used) to this essay, brought back to my mind the title of an Italian film dating back to several decades ago, with Ugo Tognazzi in the title role: The tragedy of a ridiculous man.

Olga's a great figure to win and a fine writer. Shame that both winners were European though, after Anders Olsson had explicitly said they'd take a more global outlook.

Daniel del Real

Olga visited Guadalajara in 2015 for the Feria Internacional del Libro. She had a very close encounter with her readers; visited a couple of high schools and took a lot of pictures with students, so there are a few of them posting their pictures with the new Nobel Prize at FIL's webpage. Also, the presentantion of her book Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead was made by readers, who were previously selected to read and discuss the book with her. I got a book signed by her after the presentation. She was kinda surprised to see an English edition of what se called "a very old novel" like Primeval and other Times.

Ludus

Reader
Olga visited Guadalajara in 2015 for the Feria Internacional del Libro. She had a very close encounter with her readers; visited a couple of high schools and took a lot of pictures with students, so there are a few of them posting their pictures with the new Nobel Prize at FIL's webpage. Also, the presentantion of her book Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead was made by readers, who were previously selected to read and discuss the book with her. I got a book signed by her after the presentation. She was kinda surprised to see an English edition of what se called "a very old novel" like Primeval and other Times.

Holy guacamole, Daniel! You've met pretty much every writer that I've dreamed to meet! Makes me want to move to Guadalajara...

Daniel del Real

Holy guacamole, Daniel! You've met pretty much every writer that I've dreamed to meet! Makes me want to move to Guadalajara...
Hey, you can visit every year at FIL times, it's not that you live so far from here.

I'll post some pictures I took from her presentation.

Ludus

Reader
Hey, you can visit every year at FIL times, it's not that you live so far from here.

I'll post some pictures I took from her presentation.
You´re right, but everytime I want to go something happens (like being specially poor that precise month) that makes the trip impossible :(
I hope I can go to the next one, tho...