Nobel Prize in Literature 2020 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Same thing happened to me after reading Autubiography of Red, it was a brilliant work in many aspects but left me cold. I haven't really delved into her poetry so my opinion is very limited.

Talking about Chinese writers, I stated reading Ge Fei and I'm really liking it. Probably this will not help, but it feels like reading Murakami, H without the fantastic part. It's more about the daily life of a middle-aged man in a monster city like Beijing and his encounters with different characters, some of them quite misterious. This is his only translation so far to Spanish and I'm not sure if he has been translated to English. He is 56 years old and doesn't seem to have the notoriety from other candidates, but I'd like to see more of his works translated soon.

Interesting, thanks for the rec! His name has come up a few times when looking into Chinese authors, but I’d never actually read anything by him. His novella A Flock of Brown Birds is available on most ereaders for three dollars, which I couldn’t pass up

I recently red Autobiography of Red and then, yesterday, Red Doc >. I really enjoyed Autobiography of Red but Red Doc > felt less free-flowing. There were passages of it that were wonderful but overall I thought it was a bit patchy in terms of how engaged I felt with it. That being said, I'm not a big poetry reader so it may be I need to adapt my brain a bit! I thought I'd go for something more like a "collection" so I've got Glass & God on order now.

edit: I realise I've spelt "read" as red but I'm declining to correct it because I feel it's a typo Anne Carson would herself appreciate

Last edited:

Uemarasan

Reader
You're all leaving me completely out of the loop with the manga/comic book possibilities. Truly not my wheelhouse at all. I will say, as much as I enjoy his work, Miyazaki has absolutely no chance at winning the Nobel in Literature. He might have a nomination or two somewhere, but to win would be a bizarre shock. If there was a Nobel for cinema, sure. 100%.

In some respects, there is already a sort of Nobel for comic books:

It’s still very much Franco-Belgian focused, but has been improving in recent years.

Long ass name-dropping post. Converted it into a listicle as much as I could.

I – General observations

Chances of a woke Nobel or of a safe pick, woke or not – this sort of reasoning assumes that the SA is concerned in anticipation of the criticism that a less consensual pick (i.e. a writer who kicks his neighbours’ pets, who publicly praises Trump, who stans for Benfica etc.) might bring. I believe the SA no longer gives a flying fuck about criticism. It’s impossible to dodge it. Many will complain the Nobel awarded an “obscure” author because the winner isn’t one of the (very) few remaining writers almost everyone has heard about, and by contrast for many the Nobel winner will never be woke enough (say Mia Couto wins – “Yay, an African. But a white one? You mean they couldn’t find a black writer to award?”), so why even try pandering to them?

I don’t think the SA will go back to Central/Eastern Europe this year, despite the area boasting so many worthy candidates right now. This rules out Nadas, Krasznahorkai or Cartarescu, for instance.

A Chinese winner, on the other hand, might be where the SA is heading – and the target might well be one of the best known candidates: Yu Hua, Yan Lianke or Can Xue.

As a final note, it’s sort of depressing that the SA will never recognise American postmodernism.

Comments on chances of specific candidates who we all suspect have been shortlisted this year:

Anne Carson – the Academy’s library records and the opinion of just about everyone in the know more than hint that she may be one of this year’s leading contenders. But I’m not feeling it. A difficult, erudite poet with a background in Greek and Latin classics – it may happen, but it would be a break with the prize’s recent history, which has favoured somewhat better known and more accessible writers.

Michel Houellebecq – not going to happen. The literary quality and the versatility just aren’t there. IMO discussing Houellebecq’s Nobel chances is like discussing the chances of Irvine Welsh or Chuck Palahniuk or any other such literary shock jock.

Annie Ernaux – I think she only emerged as a contender too late in life. She may be in contention for a couple more years – but not as one of the clear frontrunners.

II – Lists of who may or may not win

“Perennial candidates” which would have won by now if the SA really wanted them to:
Ismail Kadare
Milan Kundera
Claudio Magris
Adunis
Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
Cormac McCarthy

Won’t win, ever:
Haruki Murakami
Michel Houellebecq
Thomas Pynchon
“Elena Ferrante”
Javier Marías
António Lobo Antunes
Gonçalo M. Tavares
Karl Ove Knausgard
Don DeLillo
Joyce Carol Oates
Paul Auster
Virginie Despentes
Amélie Nothomb
William T. Vollmann

Have a good chance of winning this year or in the near future:
Anne Carson
Mia Couto
Louise Erdrich
Jon Fosse
Annie Ernaux
Can Xue
Yu Hua
Yan Lianke
David Grossman (not awarding Amos Oz and now giving the prize to Grossman will look odd, though)
Mircea Cartarescu
Laszlo Krasznahorkai
Mikhail Shishkin
Andreï Makine

With a slight chance:
Marilynne Robinson
Salman Rushdie if the Academy is in a trolling mood, or if he somehow makes it to the shortlist and there’s a deadlock followed by a compromise pick (possible previous instances of this: Modiano and Ishiguro).
John Banville
Antonio Muñoz Molina
Lyudmila Ulitskaya
Peter Nadas
Emmanuel Carrère (don’t believe he has Nobel stature/profile, but who knows)
Amin Maalouf

Possible ontenders in 10-15 years:
Elif Shafak
Mathias Énard
Samanta Schweblin
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Han Kang (even though I don’t really believe in her chances)

Out of contention due to advanced age (i.e. if they were ever meant to win, they would have done so by now)
Cees Nooteboom
Maryse Condé
Jacques Roubaud
Nélida Piñon
Margaret Atwood

Out of contentiondue to the prior win of another writer:
Dubravka Ugresic (Tokarczuk)
Michael Ondaatje (Ishiguro)
Martin Amis (Ishiguro)
Julian Barnes (Ishiguro)
Ian McEwan (Ishiguro)
Pierre Michon (Modiano)
Pascal Quignard (Modiano)
Jean Echenoz (Modiano)
Olivier Rolin (Modiano)

Last edited:

Bartleby

Michel Houellebecq – not going to happen. The literary quality and the versatility just aren’t there. IMO discussing Houellebecq’s Nobel chances is like discussing the chances of Irvine Welsh or Chuck Palahniuk or any other such literary shock jock.
and just like some member has said in 2017 that Ishiguro wouldn’t win; and last year said Handke would 100% not win ever, fate will have it that it’s Houellebecq’s year ?

Daniel del Real

Won’t win, ever:
Haruki Murakami
Michel Houellebecq
Thomas Pynchon
“Elena Ferrante”
Javier Marías
António Lobo Antunes
Gonçalo M. Tavares
Karl Ove Knausgard
Don DeLillo
Joyce Carol Oates
Paul Auster
Virginie Despentes
Amélie Nothomb
William T. Vollmann

I think Marias, Tavares and Knausgard have really strong chances of winning. Tavares and Knausgard are quite young at 50 & 51. Concerning Marías, in the next 5 to 10 years, the Academy needs to look back to Spanish language and he is the only candidate ticking all the boxes ir order to get it.

hayden

Concerning Marías, in the next 5 to 10 years, the Academy needs to look back to Spanish language and he is the only candidate ticking all the boxes ir order to get it.

I think Cesar Aira has about the same chances as Marias, if not more. You're right though... worthy Spanish language candidates are rapidly thinning.

As for the philosophers (nobody mentioned Sloterdijk?) and historians, I did a few name-dropping posts in previous years, but no point in speculating. Not going to happen.

And comic books - please, no. I still read them often, I love François Bourgeon to bits and I've pimped his Le Dernier Chant des Maleterre to just about everyone I know as it stands so high above any other comic book I've ever come across, but a Nobel?

Daniel del Real

I think Cesar Aira has about the same chances as Marias, if not more. You're right though... worthy Spanish language candidates are rapidly thinning.
I don't think so. When you publish three or four nouvelles each year there is a larger margin of error in terms of creating less quality works. On the other hand Marías keeps peaking with his latest works (Los enamoramientos, Así empieza lo malo y Berta Isla).

Daniel del Real

And comic books - please, no. I still read them often, I love François Bourgeon to bits and I've pimped his Le Dernier Chant des Maleterre to just about everyone I know as it stands so high above any other comic book I've ever come across, but a Nobel?
Thanks. It reminded me of a fool earlier in this thread saying Kendrick Lamar would win the Nobel Prize in Literature in the next decade.

nagisa

Spiky member
??? (though as Bartleby reminds us, there is the "curse" of such pronouncements...)

Thank you for a very thorough, erudite (and slightly provocative?) post ?

Quite a few things to remark since the last time I posted.

1) Odds-makers on ladbrokes are definitely keeping tabs on the forum (as other members have already echoed)
2) The names of Ulitskaya and Kincaid are fascinating, however, since neither of them have been discussed substantially as potential candidates here or elsewhere--at least not this year. This hints that both of them--while not front-runners--are at least nominated and the nominators have let on. Ulitskaya strikes as more of a front runner, however, and may even be the surprise winner this year and debunk the Nobel Library theory thus. My love for the Nobel Library and the wondefrul speculation that it has birthed aside, I am here for Ulitskaya's win. On another note, Jamaica Kincaid and Marye Conde, or Jamaica Kincaid and Edwidge Danticat (her Neustadt win certainly gave her a little momentum for consideration) will be a great pick for a joint award, if any is happening this year. Though with the passage of time I am less convinced about the Nobel Prize twitter being a trivia or hint hunt, leading to a joint award.
3) Which brings me to the last thing I have to say about Nobel social media. The only thing that can now convince me that the twitter/instagram are a channel for guidance toward the eventual winner is if a person who has already won a Nobel in one science category goes on to win it in another. The Nobel social media has been obsessively posting about the few people who have won the Nobel Prize twice, in multiple categories. If in the next two days, with the announcement of the Chemistry and Physics prize, the eventual winner is a previous recipient in a different category, it is safe to conclude that the Nobel Prize social media is--in some degree--in on the speculations. It can also be true if a previous science laureate wins the peace prize this year. It has happened in the past, but this year, with so many things happening socio-politically, it seems less likely that a scientist will triumph in the peace category, and the peace prize will be announced after literature anyway. Furthermore, though I am less and less convinced about the Nobel Prize social media being some kind of a trivia, an argument can be made however regarding the Nobel foundation's greater involvement in and supervision of the Swedish Academy's proceedings. With the 2018 scandal, there has been a greater push for transparency. The Nobel Foundation at some point even threatened to withdraw the assignment of awarding the Nobel Prize in literature from the Swedish Academy. This year, too, the foundation is trying to convince the Academy to keep on seeking help from external members, despite the term of current external expert is about to end now. I will not be surprised if the Nobel Academy is, this year more than others, more involved with the Swedish Academy, or is supervising them in someway.
4) Ultimately, my top picks/predictions for this year's prize, in a particular order (likely to least likely): Anne Carson, Can Xue, Lyudmila Ulitskaya, Annie Ernaux, Ngugi Wa Thiong'o.

Cheers :)

Uemarasan

Reader
Once upon a time, novels were also considered the inferior literary form. I do not see why comic books will not be worthy of Nobel prizes sometime in the future. In fact, I dare say that many of the best comic writers already surpass quite a few authors that have been mentioned in this thread.

Anyway, comic books have without a doubt become the preferred literary form of the younger generation. Very few read conventional literature as a leisure activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.