Nobel Prize in Literature 2022 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, speaking of gay writers and the Nobel, I recently read for the first time James Baldwin's fourth novel, Tell Me How Long The Train's Been Gone, and I was taken aback by how pulpy and cheap it is. I mean, it's so angry and bitter, but in a very unsophisticated way. He literally uses phrases like "Lady Cunt-face." It's way too long, the story's awful and the writing isn't great at all. Shocking because I love Baldwin. Giovanni's Room is possibly---by way of contrast---the most perfect novel I've ever read, and his non-fiction is superb. But damn, that fourth novel's a stinker.

I'm not sure I can think of any living gay writers who truly deserve the prize. I can't comment on Hollinghurst as I haven't read him but I do feel that Holleran, Cunningham, and White are too middlebrow. With White, for instance, I don't think his early novels (like A Boy's Own Room, The Beautiful Room is Empty, etc.) are much better than the potboiler later ones, like Our Young Man. David Malouf is gay and has been touted as a possible Nobel winner, but, like his fellow Australian (& Nobel winner) Patrick White, who was also gay, Malouf's work doesn't directly deal with homosexuality. I think Malouf's work is very good, by the way. I think Gary Indiana's brilliant but he's too radical for the academy. Who else is there? There seems to me to be a paucity of high quality gay literature out there at the moment. I mean, Less winning the Pulitzer? Embarrassing...

meepmurp

The closest comparison to this would be Modiano, but he won both the Austrian State Prize for Literature and the Prix mondial Cinco Del Duca for his body of work, as well as awards for individual books (like the Goncourt). Since Gurnah is also European, he was in consideration for those awards and didn't get them. I don't think anyone could argue him as being completely unknown because 1) he got the Nobel, so he was clearly on some radar; 2) was nominated for big prizes like the Booker (publicity); and 3) was and is an active scholar and professor. I just think his work isn't good enough, sadly. To my knowledge, he is the only laureate in recent times to have never won another award besides the Nobel. I think that speaks to something.

I think that all that speaks to is the obvious fact that some writers win more awards than others.

And, also, all awards are not created equal - nor are they exempt from electioneering, marketing, politicking, and other fun systemic influences. There's a book I highly recommend about this called The Economy of Prestige by James English.

What exactly are you upset about in regards to the compromise pick aspect? That the Academy doesn't do compromise picks? Because it's already a known fact that they do (see Fo, Kawabata, and Martinson, amongst others). Or that Gurnah is fine on his own and got the prize independent of being a compromise pick? To this, I'm confused why Gurnah in particular is causing a "weird taste."

In my reading, it appears to me this constant questioning of whether or not Gurnah was a "compromise pick" seems to be an attempt to devalue or question the validity of his prize, as if his Nobel Prize were any different from Louise Gluck's or Peter Handke's or Olga Tokarczuk's. It's all the same Nobel! And I wonder, for those insistent on pursuing this line of questioning, why it matters to you whether or not he was a "compromise." So you don't love his books as much as you love Tomas Transtromer's. Cool. But, obviously, enough people in the organization that decide this prize liked his work enough to think he should have it. A "compromise pick" makes it sound like this perfectly intelligent, well-paid academy of highly regarded professionals just threw their hands up and went, "Meh! Just give the $1 million to that guy! Who cares?!" If you don't think Gurnah's books deserved the Nobel prize, why does that become a critique of him and not the tastes/process of the awarding body? He didn't give it to himself.

Members on this forum critique laureates all the time, which is fine. That's the point of a discussion board. Why feel uniquely upset about comments directed at Gurnah when things like Pamuk won the prize for a political statement (discounting his actual literary merit) or Mo Yan won the prize because his translator wanted money (discounting his actual literal merit) can fly is perplexing to me...

Though I don't think the *point* of a discussion board is necessarily *critique* - in fact, I just come here to nerd out on literature and look for book recs - I should point out that I don't have an issue with anyone's opinion of Gurnah and I certainly don't think I'm here to invalidate them. I'm just pointing out some issues I have here with this rhetoric. No one's sitting around asking if Ishiguro or Gluck was a "compromise pick - and they very well could have. We don't know! That's the point! So why I'm merely asking why Gurnah.

And I get upset about all kinds of things on this forum - about as many as the things I get excited about! Nothing unique there. But no one's calling Pamuk or Mo Yan, despite some weird optics, a "compromise candidate." That's what I'm specifically "discussing" on this "discussion board."

I think that all that speaks to is the obvious fact that some writers win more awards than others.

And, also, all awards are not created equal - nor are they exempt from electioneering, marketing, politicking, and other fun systemic influences. There's a book I highly recommend about this called The Economy of Prestige by James English.

In my reading, it appears to me this constant questioning of whether or not Gurnah was a "compromise pick" seems to be an attempt to devalue or question the validity of his prize, as if his Nobel Prize were any different from Louise Gluck's or Peter Handke's or Olga Tokarczuk's. It's all the same Nobel! And I wonder, for those insistent on pursuing this line of questioning, why it matters to you whether or not he was a "compromise." So you don't love his books as much as you love Tomas Transtromer's. Cool. But, obviously, enough people in the organization that decide this prize liked his work enough to think he should have it. A "compromise pick" makes it sound like this perfectly intelligent, well-paid academy of highly regarded professionals just threw their hands up and went, "Meh! Just give the $1 million to that guy! Who cares?!" If you don't think Gurnah's books deserved the Nobel prize, why does that become a critique of him and not the tastes/process of the awarding body? He didn't give it to himself.

Though I don't think the *point* of a discussion board is necessarily *critique* - in fact, I just come here to nerd out on literature and look for book recs - I should point out that I don't have an issue with anyone's opinion of Gurnah and I certainly don't think I'm here to invalidate them. I'm just pointing out some issues I have here with this rhetoric. No one's sitting around asking if Ishiguro or Gluck was a "compromise pick - and they very well could have. We don't know! That's the point! So why I'm merely asking why Gurnah.

And I get upset about all kinds of things on this forum - about as many as the things I get excited about! Nothing unique there. But no one's calling Pamuk or Mo Yan, despite some weird optics, a "compromise candidate." That's what I'm specifically "discussing" on this "discussion board."
Just looked up the English book on the 'economy of prestige'. Please tell us the jush on Toni Morrison and the Booker feuds...

Bartleby

No one's sitting around asking if Ishiguro or Gluck was a "compromise pick - and they very well could have. We don't know! That's the point! So why I'm merely asking why Gurnah.
I don't mean to get you more upset, but actually Ishiguro was thought at the time, and still is by some to this day (go check Mary Morose's blog posts), as a compromise pick also... I feel you, tho...

Last edited:

Uemarasan

Reader
Since Southeast Asian writers are seldom mentioned whenever it’s this time of year, I can think of three Philippine writers who deserve serious consideration. Unfortunately, nearly all of the great writers of the country write in the vernacular and are untranslated.

1. Lualhati Bautista

She is very much ensconced in the social realist tradition that is enshrined in the country as the most “serious” kind of literature, but she is perhaps its best practitioner. A popular writer whose themes are very much like those of Ernaux: the socio-political dimension of women’s lives, but with an added sense of urgency as she writes about life and survival under the most oppressive of political and economic structures. Unfortunately, still untranslated into English.

2. Virgilio S. Almaro

Like Adonis, he is a poet preoccupied with the preservation and resuscitation of local poetic traditions. He is very much a “language poet” who possesses an unfathomable ocean of knowledge of literary and linguistic history. Unsurprisingly, he has also produced a considerable volume of literary criticism. A jack-of-all-trades: writer, editor, publisher, scholar, translator, historian, teacher. He does incredible things with the Filipino language, a playfulness not so different from that of Jelinek or Bei Dao in their native tongues. Again, untranslated into English.

3. Jose Y. Dalisay, Jr.

Probably the most accessible among the three as he writes in English as well and slightly controversial for ghostwriting speeches for presidents. In the Philippines, there still remains a deep-seated stigma among the literati against writers, artists, filmmakers, musicians, dancers, photographers, anyone in the creative and performing arts who veers a little too closely to the highest echelons of power. This is of course due to recent history under the first Marcos regime. Dalisay at least acknowledges the levers of authoritarianism and corruption - the predominant theme - in his writings and, as a political insider, perhaps knows about and understands the hierarchies of power the best. Work is available in English, but strangely enough literature in English from Asia rarely gets any meaningful press. Singaporean writers get barely a whiff of a mention, for example. The wonders of marketing, eh?

Last edited:

ministerpumpkin

In my reading, it appears to me this constant questioning of whether or not Gurnah was a "compromise pick" seems to be an attempt to devalue or question the validity of his prize, as if his Nobel Prize were any different from Louise Gluck's or Peter Handke's or Olga Tokarczuk's.
FWIW, I don't see "compromise pick" as having an inherently negative connotation.

Daniel del Real

Let me add that while I would love to see both Margaret Atwood and Haruki Murakami to win, they don't count, because neither embrace the genre label. I want a writer who proudly writes genre fiction to win.

Since Murakami is very controversial here, let me offer my two cents: I think 1Q84 and Killing Commendatore are his worst novels, but on the other hand, I think Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage is genuinely great, so I don't think his recent works are all bad.

Also, sorry that I keep posting so much. I have been lurking for so long that I have so much bottled up to say!

I agree Killing Commendatore is not good but I think 1Q84 is one of his best works. Colorless was just OK.

Being said that, I'll be celebrating if Murakami Haruki wins, even tough this means millions of people will also celebrate claiming to their friends they know about literature.

By the way, wouldn't it be great if tomorrow, Mr. Roboto comes out of these white doors and announces the 2022 Nobel Prize in Literature goes to Murakami...RYU!

Daniel del Real

ABSOLUTELY. There are maybe a handful of writers in English that I passionately support, that would thrill me so much to see them win, that I wouldn’t care as much about my strongly held belief that no English writer should win this year. Caryl Churchill is at the top of that list.

What about another English language Caryl to win it all: PHILLIPS

Reactions: DCN

Hamishe22

Certainly a possibility, but I highly doubt they would pick him before they picked Ngugi. I guess we won't know until decades later, hopefully some of us are still around (with false teeth and canes and all) to read about this decade's deliberations.
Oh, this is not a factor. The foreign language book market is not regulated, I've bought Rushdie, Hitchens, and de Sade. It's just that he's completely unknown among book readers.

Edit, Sorry, I have replied to the wrong post

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
A "compromise pick" makes it sound like this perfectly intelligent, well-paid academy of highly regarded professionals just threw their hands up and went, "Meh! Just give the $1 million to that guy! Who cares?!"
I don't think that's how it happens at all. Presumably all of the names are drawn from the same shortlist, and if they have made it this far, the academy obviously considers all of them to be more or less equal in terms of quality. But if one half of the Nobel Committee votes for one candidate, and the other half votes for another, and nobody is willing to change their mind (in favor of the opposing side), they ultimately go to the third name on the list to break the tie. But it would be a mistake to think that the third, fourth and fifth names on the shortlist (or however many) are somehow "lesser," like I said, to have made it on the shortlist is proof enough of literary quality. But certainly, it'd be interesting to learn about this decade's deliberations, if we get the chance, :)

Hamishe22

No, King winning it would do irreparable damage to the prize's reputation. There's 107 pages of speculation on the 2022 Nobel Prize in Literature precisely because it's arguably the last award that proudly gate-keeps, and what it refuses entry of is populist stuff, politicially correct stuff, baldly commercial stuff, or anyone whose body of work is littered with bad work, or whose win could only be seen as a populist choice. This isn't an anti-genre, anti-horror statement. It's just that King simply doesn't meet the academy's very high standards, at all!

Does anyone still care about the Booker Prize, for instance? The Booker Prize is a brilliant example of what happens when idelogy becomes the maniacal focus of the shortlists, and not the work itself. This is why, for the last few years, you will see, on shortlist annoucement day, a dutiful and predictable lineup of three men, three women, at least one brown writer, one black writer, etc. And yet, the lineups inspire so little excitement. I haven't given a toss about the Booker Prize in years.

What I respect so much about the academy is that they seem genuinely indifferent to popular opinion. They didn't seem to care about the Handke haters, they seemed to enjoy the big debate that followed Dylan's win, they did a truly great thing in giving it to Alexievich and making people really think about what literature actually is...and none of it feels like pandering to any sort of ideology, besides Nobel's instructional ideology, of taking literature in an ideal direction.
Well, I might be a pleb, but I think King can be a better writer than at least half of the Nobel laureates from 2000 to 2022. (He can be bad too, of course). I just don't think that Nobel has very high standards. And I care very much about Booker.

Daniel del Real

I kinda agree that they should more often reward truly GREAT writers (so rather Mario Vargas Llosa than Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clezio) but I suppose that they think that truly GREAT writers are read and respected even without the Nobel Prize so they should help few others that are good but not that popular.

I haven't read Gluck and Gurnah yet but from all other winners after Vargas Llosa I found only Transtromer, Modiano, Alexievich, Ishiguro and Handke deserving. Modiano is underrated, IMO. His novels really move me.

I actually would like Salman Rushdie to win this year. He's a true "classic" already. Or Milan Kundera (still living!). Or Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o. Or even Michel Houellebecq whose win would be CONTROVERSIAL but at least he is a writer that is debated for many years now (and therefore somewhat 'canonical' already).

Count in me in among the Modianolievers

Of course not, he's an Islamophobe who writes about tits, ?

What's wrong about tits? Love 'em :love:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.