Nobel Prize in Literature 2022 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamishe22

Anyway, since King really is too far from the Nobel taste, I was thinking which living genre authors might be added to the mix. I guess N K Jemisin is too young, but I think you can make really good cases for Connie Willis, William Gibson, and China Miéville. Like, I honestly don't know why Ishiguro and Atwood can be in the mix but these three can't be.

I remember Sara Danius mentioning The Buried Giant, which is straight up fantasy. It made me hopeful for a genre pick in the future.

Scandinavia has a pretty good Nobel year so far: a Swede has won the medicine prize and among the winners of the chemistry prize is a guy from Denmark.

Norway will be next tomorrow? :)

And we have already the new double Nobel winner (K. Barry Sharpless is among the recipients of the chemistry prize and he won previously in 2001) so maybe second Nobel for Dylan isn't out of the question? ;)

It would never happen in a billion years but, to be fair, you could give another one to Coetzee. It's actually rare for a Nobel winner's post win body of work to be so rich. He certainly didn't slack off after he won the prize, and he so easily could have.

Hamishe22

Scandinavia has a pretty good Nobel year so far: a Swede has won the medicine prize and among the winners of the chemistry prize is a guy from Denmark.

And we have already the new double Nobel winner (K. Barry Sharpless is among the recipients of the chemistry prize and he won previously in 2001) so maybe second Nobel for Dylan isn't out of the question? ;)
I remember someone seriously arguing for a second Nobel for Marquez before he passed away.

I think W B Yeats had a great career after Nobel, he could certainly have been awarded twice.

Of course, with so many literary giants dying and being passed over, I really don't like the idea.

Papageno

Or Iceland!? All this talk of the smartly dressed Sjón and Anne Carson getting Icelandic citizenship got my hopes up!

Morbid Swither

Words Without Borders is publishing a series of interviews with nominees for the National Book Award for Translated Fiction.

The first two entries are with Yoko Tawada and Jon Fosse, along with their translators.

Daniel del Real

Words Without Borders is publishing a series of interviews with nominees for the National Book Award for Translated Fiction.

The first two entries are with Yoko Tawada and Jon Fosse, along with their translators.

Talking about Japanese writers, who do you think has more chances?
My personal favorites are Tanikawa Shuntaro and Mizumura Minae, but I don't think they have good chances.
Apparently the Yokos have the lead.

Bartleby

BTW, I've asked this a few pages back, but maybe people weren't interested or just didn't pay attention to it in the middle of a million posts, but...

Would anyone be interested in watching the announcement together on Skype? You needn't show your face or talk if you don't feel comfortable, but it would be nice to speculate a bit before actually hearing the name (or trying to) and discuss about it right afterwards. Just an idea, tho :)

Uemarasan

Reader
Since Yoko Tawada has been mentioned here quite a bit, and having mostly read non-English literature in its original language the past year, I wonder how often a writer’s friskiness with his or her language makes it a bit more difficult for him or her to be seriously considered for the prize? I’m thinking especially of poets of non-European languages who almost pummel the syntax and morphologies of their words into doughy submission, leaving behind something so inscrutable as to be untranslatable. Of course, someone like Bei Dao is excellently served by his translatability into Western languages:

“The immediate origin of the poet’s translatability resides, the paper suggests, in a literary language called the "translation style" in the late 1960s, which served as a protest against the language of authority in Mao’s China...”

I just find it interesting that a poet writing in a non-European language has yet to win the Nobel, but do correct me if I’m mistaken. Of course, poetry in a non-European language in translation is hard to come by in the first place. Anyway, what I’m trying to get at is that it seems like the Swedish Academy tends to favor an overall “translatable” literature. Or is it that market forces are simply at play here with regard to access and so on…

Status
Not open for further replies.