Nobel Prize in Literature 2022

Ben Jackson

I don't think we will be back in Europe again next year, and I think Anne Carson won't be back on the agenda for 3 years at least. Next year is hopefully now wide open for Gerald Murnane! There is only so long that the academy can fend off questions like that English-language journalist asked during the announcement.

I think the same thing too. I don't think Europe would have a Laureate in the next two years. I think Asia (Salim Barakat, Ogawa, Xue) or Latin America would get it.

Papageno

Ah, while it's a great choice, the headlines might be on fire already about how this prize is addressing abortion issues (a small portion of the subjects Ernaux deals with, if I'm not mistaken - I mean, she doesn't write book after book about it).

When asked if the prize was meant to be a political message about said issues, Olsson promptly dismissed it, bringing the focus back to the quality of her works. I don't remember the exact words, I'll listen to it again later...

As I said on the speculation thread, this year people were gonna be convinced it was a straight out political choice, either way, and I can see why by choosing Ernaux this question is even more pronounced...
I agree! Certainly, Annie Ernaux is a "political" writer in a sense that many, if not most, great writers are political, but I don't think that the Nobel committee has awarded her because how timely her politics are (I somehow find that the word "timely" is the name-of-the-game in the North American context, with critics obsessing over how timely one award or the other is), but because she would be timely last decade, and will be timely many years (les Années...!) from now as well... The Nobel committee is thinking "permanently relevant" rather than simply "timely."

But we can’t deny something quite obvious: the Swedes (and not only the SA) have a real poignant debate with the US. The Dylan award had a lot of that, and this one too. I really like the SA choices, they tend to touch the nerves of many. This award is also debating right now with Iran, many Asian countries, the Vatican, Latin American societies, etc, in a much more elegant and less obvious way than awarding, for exemple,Houellebecq or even Rushdie…
I agree...but that's just it. Americans on Twitter aren't saying, oh, the issues she writes about are of international relevance right now. Look at Iran,look at X, look at Y. No, it's, Roe V Wade. Because that's all they're capable of looking at. Themselves and their country. Everything, no matter what, is a case of "...which brings us back to [US point of discussion]..."

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, while it's a great choice, the headlines might be on fire already about how this prize is addressing abortion issues (a small portion of the subjects Ernaux deals with, if I'm not mistaken - I mean, she doesn't write book after book about it).

When asked if the prize was meant to be a political message about said issues, Olsson promptly dismissed it, bringing the focus back to the quality of her works. I don't remember the exact words, I'll listen to it again later...

As I said on the speculation thread, this year people were gonna be convinced it was a straight out political choice, either way, and I can see why by choosing Ernaux this question is even more pronounced...

To return to the original stipulation of Nobel's will, emphasis mine:

The capital shall be invested by my executors in safe securities and shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind.

We don't know how they apply their interpretation of this alongside the usual "work in an ideal direction", so maybe alongside the usual lifetime achievement view of the award, they have, in their restructuring of the prize, went back to basics in considering the issues of the last year.
I've not bothered with Glück as I struggle with poetry, but I see the word 'individual in her citation, coming during a lockdown year, Gurnah in a year of hugely reported migration, and now Ernaux in a time where women's rights are at stake (US, Iran, etc).

Who knows. But maybe in 2023, when speculating, we can look to events of the year to help point to a winner whose life work circles those general concerns.

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

To return to the original stipulation of Nobel's will, emphasis mine:

We don't know how they apply their interpretation of this alongside the usual "work in an ideal direction", so maybe alongside the usual lifetime achievement view of the award, they have, in their restructuring of the prize, went back to basics in considering the issues of the last year.
I've not bothered with Glück as I struggle with poetry, but I see the word 'individual in her citation, coming during a lockdown year, Gurnah in a year of hugely reported migration, and now Ernaux in a time where women's rights are at stake (US, Iran, etc).

Who knows. But maybe in 2023, when speculating, we can look to events of the year to help point to a winner whose life work circles those general concerns.

In accordance with what you said Stewart, I once stated in the Speculation Thread of how Olsson mentioned Gurnah as a writer whose work touches on what is happening in the world today: migration, experiences of refugees, and all that jazz. Now with Ernaux, her works address collective memory of women: abortion, adultery and extra-marital affairs, and the woman experiencing tremendous changes in society. I would say the female experience she draws up in her works might remind one of Doris Lessing, who was referred to as "epicist of female experience who beings divided civilization into scrutiny, " though I don't know if any of Lessing's work addressed abortion, as I've read only Golden Notebook.

So yeah, agree with your views 100% Stewart.

Seelig

The US culture is the world culture. Here, a janitor in our university quizzed me about the Supreme Court overturning abortion, while he doesn't know the name of our own VP. In fact, I'm sure more than 90 percent of Iranians have a strong opinion on Kamala Harris, while maybe fewer than 30 percent know who our own VP is. Of course, due to sanctions, we know that the decisions of the US matter much more in our daily lives than our own politicians. This is true for all states, unless the US decides to spare you showing its business end.

So, to me, with all due respect, saying that something in the world happening that might not be heavily influenced by what's happening in the US looks a bit performative politeness rather than a true appraisal of reality. Living in a unipolar world is a reality for us, especially considering that the US cultural hegemony is much stronger than its hegemony in other areas.
Well, US culture is not the world culture, but constantly wants to be so, and North Americans tends to see themselves as the center. This is exactly the nerve: the debate is wider, the points of view multiple… individual voices and experiences (Ernaux) are relevant to stress that. “The center cannot hold”.

Morbid Swither

Well, it was wonderful going on this journey with all of you! All I can say is Ernaux was my number one choice for 2020, I backed her in 2021, and, this year in the speculations thread, maintained: "In light of recent historical and cultural events, I do believe the importance and value of her work seems even more urgent that last year." Needless to say, I'm elated with this choice, but feeling a bit smug, lol.

Hamishe22

Well, US culture is not the world culture, but constantly wants to be so, and North Americans tends to see themselves as the center. This is exactly the nerve: the debate is wider, the points of view multiple… individual voices and experiences (Ernaux) are relevant to stress that. “The center cannot hold”.
In my experience on the internet, Americans underrate the centrality of their culture in comparison to the reality of the world. Of course, I usually interact with leftists and liberals who try to be egalitarian, so my experience is definitely skewed. I get that you might find this unnerving, but it's just true.

Bartleby

In accordance with what you said Stewart, I once stated in the Speculation Thread of how Olsson mentioned Gurnah as a writer whose work touches on what is happening in the world today: migration, experiences of refugees, and all that jazz. Now with Ernaux, her works address collective memory of women: abortion, adultery and extra-marital affairs, and the woman experiencing tremendous changes in society. I would say the female experience she draws up in her works might remind one of Doris Lessing, who was referred to as "epicist of female experience who beings divided civilization into scrutiny, " though I don't know if any of Lessing's work addressed abortion, as I've read only Golden Notebook.

So yeah, agree with your views 100% Stewart.
I agree that, perhaps, like in the past the Academy has had its different goals (awarding pioneer writers, authors from neglected places etc), they might be thinking of a conjunction of the social picture as a whole with, what's more important, as the SA members point out, the literary merit ("the only thing that matters", Ellen Mattson's words). We can only know what they're truly going for, tho, in 50 years time. But as we can see in the video below, and in the interviews in today's announcement, while they might have in mind social relevance, as it is inevitable, for literature is meant to make connections between people, you cannot write in a bubble, they are not interested in an author's identity or "personality", but the work they've produced.

TL;DR I don't think, by reading and hearing their own words, the SA is going for a reactionary approach here...

Uemarasan

Reader
I agree...but that's just it. Americans on Twitter aren't saying, oh, the issues she writes about are of international relevance right now. Look at Iran,look at X, look at Y. No, it's, Roe V Wade. Because that's all they're capable of looking at. Themselves and their country. Everything, no matter what, is a case of "...which brings us back to [US point of discussion]..."
Unfortunately, it’s not just Americans. A considerable part of the world still continues to make American culture and politics or their relationship to American culture and politics the lens through which their own culture and politics are seen. In the Philippines, for example, a significant number of people are so well-versed in American politics, culture, economics, values, and that is the extent of their broader, “global” knowledge. The only instances wherein non-American erudition infiltrates people’s consciousness is by way of food or popular culture: Korean or Japanese pop culture and various cuisines.

Personally, I find it quite liberating and enriching to constantly re-orient myself towards cultures other than the American hegemony, particularly those in Asia. It also helps that I have other languages to latch onto, since relying too much on English usually means one is inevitably forced into the bubble of the American way of life and thinking.

Last edited:
Apologies to any Americans on this thread but it's really so typically American that an 82 yo French woman wins the Literature prize and within minutes, you have pundits on Twitter convincing themselves that really, in a roundabout way, the choice was informed by the politics of America over the last year. Might be the case, who can say, but seriously, America's obsession with itself knows no bounds. Maybe this is why Engdahl made the comments he made; I mean, if Americans can't, even for an hour, look at an outcome like this and say, ok, this isn't about us...Ernaux was writing about her experiences, in France. I totally understand that the whole point of literature is to find solace and recognition in the words of other writers, no matter where they're writing from, or at what time...but, it's been an hour. Let Ernaux have her moment.

Hey, I’m a…citizen of the United States of America (is that the acceptable descriptor?)…and I couldn’t agree more with what you say here. Of course, I live outside my own country by choice…

I agree! Certainly, Annie Ernaux is a "political" writer in a sense that many, if not most, great writers are political, but I don't think that the Nobel committee has awarded her because how timely her politics are (I somehow find that the word "timely" is the name-of-the-game in the North American context, with critics obsessing over how timely one award or the other is), but because she would be timely last decade, and will be timely many years (les Années...!) from now as well... The Nobel committee is thinking "permanently relevant" rather than simply "timely."

You absolutely nail it here on “timely”. “Controversial” is another one. If those words can’t be applied, the US media is not going to be very interested. Look at Glück, she was an American laureate and the US media was like “So, what else have you got?”

Dante

Wild Reader
A well-deserved prize for an outstanding author. Such a great choice.

Also, after last year debacle, I'm relieved that our speculations are still good!