Nobel Prize in Literature 2022

Not to be adversarial, but I have noticed that quite a handful of Brits know more about what’s happening in America than they do the rest of the world, and that sometimes includes the rest of Europe. Of course, I’m no expert on the British.

Given the ubiquity of American culture, particularly in the UK, that observation doesn't surprise me.

Davus

Reader
I don't know how famous Annie Ernaux is. Almost all of her works are translated into Persian, and she's been very famous here for a long time. So my impression is that she's a famous winner. Is that correct?
Well, her name pops up in Poland from time to time for a few years now but she had just two novels translated into Polish (and one of them was published just this year). So I wouldn't say that she's 'famous' here. But surely more 'famous' than Gluck and Gurnah.

But from all winners of the last 20 years only Svetlana Alexievich, Kazuo Ishiguro and - obviously - Olga Tokarczuk were widely published in Poland in the time when they won the Nobel Prize. The rest didn't have anything translated (like Gluck, Gurnah) or wasn't translated and published for years (like Handke) or just had few titles translated, somewhat available (like Munro). So the publishing market in Poland isn't the best to judge someone's fame. ;)

Leseratte

He was 6 when he moved to the Great Britain. And he writes novels such as "The Remains of the Day". He's definitely an European winner.

If you don't count him as European than Doris Lessing wasn't too (she was born in Iran and raised in Southern Rodesia). But for me she's British. As is Ishiguro.
I do count him as an European. But I don´t disregard his Japanese roots. Clarice Lispector went the opposite way. She was born in the Ukraine and emigrated as a child with her family to Brazil and acquired the Brazilian citizenship. Her themes are usually very Brazilian, but she brought to the Brazilian literature a kind of introspective fiction that was totally unusual here and that enriched Brazilian literature tremendously and that probably points to her Ukrainian
roots.

The problem with Ishiguro is, that every time I mention his Japanese influence, some people in this forum seem to think I´m downgrading him. I am not. I´m just taking into account this influence without which his evaluation would be incomplete.

Am I the only one who thinks there is similarity between Ernaux and Margeurite Duras? Female experience, sparse style, short novels, autobiographical writing (of course, not the case with all of Duras' books).

Dammit, now I remembered how other French woman named Marguerite, Yourcenar, was robbed from her Nobel :(

I haven’t read anything by Ernaux yet, but I can confidently state that she has deep roots in French literature, which since I’m a literary history type, always delights me. You point out one; in the new Ernaux thread I brought up her acknowledged debt to Flaubert.

“Writing degree zero” has not got that much of a tradition in the English language, so Anglophone readers are often puzzled / put off by their first exposure to this type of French literature.

Hamishe22

The problem with Ishiguro is, that every time I mention his Japanese influence, some people in this forum seem to think I´m downgrading him. I am not. I´m just taking into account this influence without which his evaluation would be incomplete.
Japanese literature is so great. I, personally, much prefer it to European literature. You're upgrading him.

Stevie B

Current Member
Not to be adversarial, but I have noticed that quite a handful of Brits know more about what’s happening in America than they do the rest of the world, and that sometimes includes the rest of Europe. Of course, I’m no expert on the British.
What troubles me more is the large number of Americans who don't know what's happening in America - for example, the high percentage of people who think January 6th was a peaceful protest DESPITE video evidence to the contrary.

Uemarasan

Reader
Given the ubiquity of American culture, particularly in the UK, that observation doesn't surprise me.
Indeed, but a ubiquity that one can perhaps protest against, disengage from, or simply ignore. Interestingly enough, younger people here are less captivated by America than the older generation, thanks to social media.

hayden

Here's the letter (more like a note) that I received from Annie Ernaux when I was teaching in Japan. I told you it wasn't exciting, but I've kept it as a keepsake in Cleaned Out for more than twenty years.

View attachment 1749

Maybe I need to start writing people letters.

Anyway, watched it live— very happy with the choice, zero complaints.
Considering she was in my top three guesses to win the prize, I'm also going to give myself a pat on the back ?
(Albeit, she's probably the least surprising winner in quite some time)

Little tied up right now, but I'll get around to reading everyone's reactions later today.

Will note, the automated subtitles for the announcement were outright abysmal to a point of hilarity.

What troubles me more is the large number of Americans who don't know what's happening in America - for example, the high percentage of people who think January 6th was a peaceful protest DESPITE video evidence to the contrary.

Not to derail the thread, but:

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”​

Papageno

Dammit, now I remembered how other French woman named Marguerite, Yourcenar, was robbed from her Nobel :(
Talking of Yourcenar, here is an interview with Annie Ernaux from 2017 when she received prix Marguerite Yourcenar in which she recalls how, on the evening after receiving the very prestigious Prix Renaudot she was dining with her publisher in a hotel and saw Yourcenar "avec son écharpe blanche" at another table further down the dining hall, smiling at her "with curiosity and amusement." This seems as such a typical Ernaux moment: trying to reconstruct a memory of a smile...

Stevie B

Current Member
I've always agreed with this sentiment. Parents trump geography. I had a friend in college who grew up overseas, mostly in Thailand, and who didn't live in the U.S. until college. Of course, she had different perspectives because of her life experience, but she was as American as the rest of us in her mind and ours.

Last edited:

Uemarasan

Reader
I think I posted this before, but the man himself acknowledges this:

“I’m not entirely like English people because I’ve been brought up by Japanese parents in a Japanese-speaking home. My parents didn’t realize that we were going to stay in this country for so long, they felt responsible for keeping me in touch with Japanese values. I do have a distinct background. I think differently, my perspectives are slightly different.”

Seelig

Talking of Yourcenar, here is an interview with Annie Ernaux from 2017 when she received prix Marguerite Yourcenar in which she recalls how, on the evening after receiving the very prestigious Prix Renaudot she was dining with her publisher in a hotel and saw Yourcenar "avec son écharpe blanche" at another table further down the dining hall, smiling at her "with curiosity and amusement." This seems as such a typical Ernaux moment: trying to reconstruct a memory of a smile...
Oh, Yourcenar… one of the greatest. Beyond, well beyond the Nobel, as Proust, Céline, Perec…