Nobel Prize in Literature 2022

Leseratte

I've always agreed with this sentiment. Parents trump geography. I had a friend in college who grew up overseas, mostly in Thailand, and who didn't live in the U.S. until college. Of course, she had different perspectives because of her life experience, but she was American as the rest of us in her mind and ours.
I think today we are all to some extent moving outside our frontiers. I myself don´t know where my German identity ends and where the Brazilian one begins. And when we aren´t emigrants by ascendance, descendance or destiny, we seek the experience of living in other countries, as you did.

Stevie B

Current Member
It´s a very objective note!
Agreed. The most personal reply came from James Salter. In his letter, he wrote about his experience being in nominal charge of security at a Japanese prisoner of war camp in the Philippines in 1946. "There were perhaps a hundred or so prisoners in worn-out clothes, deeply burnt by the sun, living in tents, and their sergeants had them as neat as cadets, their area was immaculate. They marched off to work in the morning as none of our men did." Salter, at one point, anyway, was considered by some to be America's leading man of letters. I'm curious if he was ever nominated for the Nobel.

Benny Profane

Am I the only one who thinks there is similarity between Ernaux and Margeurite Duras? Female experience, sparse style, short novels, autobiographical writing (of course, not the case with all of Duras' books).

Dammit, now I remembered how other French woman named Marguerite, Yourcenar, was robbed from her Nobel :(

I didn't appreciate the Duras' prose and her plots, in general.
From Noveau Roman's movement, I really like Maria Judite de Carvalho and Agustina Bessa-Luís (from Portugal) and Nathalie Sarraute (from Russia based in France).

About Ernaux, I only read "The Years" and I found it "Ok".

And Margerite Yourcenar was one of the neglected choices of the prize.

Liam

Administrator
Congratulations, Annie Ernaux! A solid, respectable choice, I am very happy with this selection. I have not read The Years yet, but will try to do so in short order. As to its being a little on the "obvious" side: I don't need to be surprised by the Academy's choice as long as they continue to award/reward literary quality above all else (if it has political implications as well, so much the better). This is the Nobel Prize in Literature, not the final unmasking on The Masked Singer when the crowd goes, ???

Benny Profane

I'm also very happy, perhaps I've said it already, that her books have been published consistently, for the past few years, here in Brazil, by an independent publisher. They were really fortuitous with this choice of acquiring her works, and this prize will certainly boost their sales!

Chupa, Companhia das Letras!!! Hahahaha

I hope her publisher on Brazil (Editora Fósforo) can publish more of her works (it would be interesting whether they can publish again "Simple Passion".

Marba

Reader
Am I the only one who thinks there is similarity between Ernaux and Margeurite Duras? Female experience, sparse style, short novels, autobiographical writing (of course, not the case with all of Duras' books).
You are not alone, there are comments in Swedish media on how this is the Nobel that Duras never received.
And despite being the second most awarded language, this is the first time the Nobel goes to a woman writing in French.

Uemarasan

Reader
I didn't appreciate the Duras' prose and her plots, in general.
From Noveau Roman's movement, I really like Maria Judite de Carvalho and Agustina Bessa-Luís (from Portugal) and Nathalie Sarraute (from Russia based in France).

About Ernaux, I only read "The Years" and I found it "Ok".

And Margerite Yourcenar was one of the neglected choices of the prize.
I much prefer Duras as a filmmaker. Yourcenar is an immeasurable lacuna in the history of the Nobel. To think that it took this long to honor a French woman of letters…

Well, they bypassed Frost until they got to Gluck.

I wanted to share a photo of my cat, Maarten, who has been napping all morning with the Ernaux books. But the image too large to post. Sorry cat lovers/Ernaux lovers or both.

When that happens to me, I use the screenshot feature on my iPad, take a photo of the photo, edit out the extraneous matter, and that usually works.

Liam

Administrator
I wanted to share a photo of my cat, Maarten, who has been napping all morning with the Ernaux books. But the image too large to post. Sorry cat lovers/Ernaux lovers or both.
You can easily resize it, do you use a MacBook? If yes, go to Tools, find Adjust Size, and just decrease either the length or the width (the other one will adjust automatically), if you make it smaller, you'll finally be able to post the photo, :)